Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If you were to pass on just one piece of relationship advice to your DC....

(132 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 15-Jul-13 15:58:31

... distilled from your own experience, observation, or what you've read on MN and elsewhere, What would it be?

On balance, I think mine would be 'be yourself' in the sense of ... be very wary of getting together with anyone for whom you feel you have to change personality or who openly wants you to behave differently in order for them to love you. If they don't love you for yourself, move swiftly along.

calmingtea Sun 21-Jul-13 19:38:30

Desert island discs style - my absolute favourite is: Love is not falling in love before you have any real information about who that person is and what they can contribute to your life. (The reason is that by definition is includes all the others, self-esteem, boundaries, knowing who you are and having a good relationship with yourself, and wanting a healthy non enmeshed relationship).

akaWisey Sun 21-Jul-13 20:32:51

People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.

Pilgit Sun 21-Jul-13 22:33:55

Always sweat the small stuff. They may only be pants on the floor now, in 5 years they will be a symbol of all the crap in your marriage. Kind of similar to look after t h e pennies and the pounds look after theselves.

scottishmummy Sun 21-Jul-13 22:37:05

Get a career don't be financially dependent upon anyone

Wuldric Sun 21-Jul-13 22:40:55

The person who loves you for yourself will set you free to be yourself

The person who loves you for himself will set down rules and conditions and be angry if you cannot fulfill his idealised dream

Be true to yourself, keep being independent (financially and emotionally) keep laughing. If someone takes the laughs away, they should not be with you

Oh and avoid four things:

1. Men who sulk
2. Men who take pleasure but do not reciprocate
3. Men who try to take control
4. Men who want you to control them.

MyDaydream Sun 21-Jul-13 22:41:04

Life's too short to be with someone you don't like just because you think it's easier than leaving.

Januarymadness Mon 22-Jul-13 09:41:40

First time i have ever recounted an mn thread to my husband. After i explained that op still wasnt invited even if she helped he said "well that woman (bride) is batshit crazy then. And a selfish arse"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now