Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Lumbered with OM

(138 Posts)
kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 20:04:58

Just wondered if this ever happened to anyone. Me and OM mutually split a while back (though I cared deeply for him but he is married with children). Then he calls to say he wants to talk to his wife and wants to reveal all/separate etc. At that point I think it hit me - I could never trust him/would not want to inflict any hurt on wife/children/he is selfish/self obsessed/boring. I have told him not to be so ridiculous and to pull out all the stops to save his marriage since he has children. Up until now I thought I would be ecstatic if he left his wife but this has been a MASS reality check. Glad I had the wake up call, but really hoping he doesn't carry out his plan and I end up lumbered with OM.

kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:41:18

I hear you AF - I typed it out a post on a forum and sent it - Looking back I should have sounded less flippant, but FFS - what a shitstorm! I am not now playing victim - i'm trying to respond to the posts and elaborate where I can and defend myself if possible.

Trill Mon 29-Apr-13 21:42:08

Sorry, I've read the chicklit-type Getting Rid of Matthew, not the self help book. smile

devilinme Mon 29-Apr-13 21:42:14

Now why would I have just joined a nest of vipers Quint?

Oh, so you havent joined?

kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:43:51

AF - good advice re: mirror but this is not a mirror, these people do not know me or my circumstances at all.

kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:44:23

Sorry you are taking some of the heat devilinme!

TheChaoGoesMu Mon 29-Apr-13 21:44:26

You should let him move in with you. You deserve each other. Might be hard for the wife at first when she realises what a cheating scumbag her dh is, but in time she might actually meet a decent bloke with decent values. Go on, take him in, do the wife a favour.

Trill Mon 29-Apr-13 21:44:36

OP you are at no point lumbered with anyone. That is not how relationships work. You can choose to be in them.

AuntieStella Mon 29-Apr-13 21:47:32

Why not Baggage Reclaim, btw?

Jemma1111 Mon 29-Apr-13 21:48:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AnyFucker Mon 29-Apr-13 21:49:03

"These people" have heard it all before.

Your story is creakingly and depressingly familiar you see.

The details might alter slightly. But bottom line, two utterly selfish people meet and create a drama and fuck everyone else

Perhaps you think your "details" somehow mitigate ?

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Maybe if you'd explained instead of inviting women who have been on the receiving end of scenarios like this to join you in your flippancy, you wouldn't have got the reaction you did.

Fleecyslippers Mon 29-Apr-13 21:50:58

So flippant and nasty about destroying the loves of another human being and her children. What has gone so badly wrong in your life OP that you are reduced to this ?

kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:52:01

If you can't beat em, join em eh Jemma1111 - thanks for that - super helpful.

I know AF. I know.

kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:53:42

I'm not in the mood to bare my sole right now Fleecyslippers. Plus I doubt you are genuinely interested.

Jemma1111 Mon 29-Apr-13 21:56:03

Why post on a public forum then Op ?

Oh and its 'soul'

Shlurpbop Mon 29-Apr-13 21:56:42

Just as AF says.

And bear in mind that this fucked up drama can affect many people and last for years and years and years...

That's why you'll be unlikely to get much sympathy around here.

kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:56:55

I know - i tried to edit the post re: my typo - think it's cos i was thinking about fleecyslippers!

DontmindifIdo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:57:49

OP - end your relationship with him, cut him out (if you work together, get your CV updated and out), the damage to his life from his behaviour, while you helped cause it, is not your responsibility now. It's his alone, don't let the narrative become that he's given up/risked everything for you, because if you allow that, then you will feel you are 'stuck' with him. If he leaves his wife, he'll be giving that relationship up for his own selfish reasons, not for you - no man leaves his family for the OW, he leaves because he wants to leave them and wants to be with the OW - he leaves for himself. So while you can feel guilt towards the wife and children, do not feel a gram of guilt about what he's going through.

Take some time to reassess why you acted the way you did. And if you find yourself tempted by a man you can't have (because he's married, or lives the other end of the country, or a million other reasons) stop and think why are you chosing a relationship which will only end in heartache.

kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:57:52

Jemma - it's a public forum - EXACTLY, not a public execution!!

Fleecyslippers Mon 29-Apr-13 21:59:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Do you have any idea of the devastation you are causing? Really truly any idea?

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Apr-13 22:00:39

Evening all
i'm having to post the talk guidelines a lot this evening
Peace and love

kenickielovesrizzo Mon 29-Apr-13 22:01:01

Thanks for coming back Dontmind - phew! I really appreciate your advice - thank you flowers

AnyFucker Mon 29-Apr-13 22:02:22

Dontmind is giving you great advice.

Jemma1111 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:04:59

It seems that in all honesty the OP doesn't give a flying fuck for the devastation she's caused (along with this twat of a man) and now is in sheer panic at the thought of putting up with him. She can't be feeling ANY guilt towards his wife, afterall she shagged HER husband.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now