Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - Kicking The Wine Witch Into Touch!

(1000 Posts)
Mouseface Wed 23-Jan-13 17:50:25

Hello, I'm Mouse smile

Welcome to the Bus. We're a group of posters who have been on a journey to here, there and everywhere when it comes to alcohol and the abusing of it.

Some of us drink, some of us don't at all and some of us are trying to get there, really trying to just stop the cycle, break the habit and calm everything down. Some of us are desperate to not be 'that' person anymore.

One Day At A Time or ODAAT.

So what have you got to lose? Weight? Saggy, puffy eyes each morning? False friends? The risk of cancers and other fatal illnesses......... why not join us?

We have a resident MonsterCat, Wolf called Seth and Squid called Barry (best not to ask about Barry! grin)

And, if you want to see where we've been so far, the links below will show you. The first ever thread is the best by far, because the OP is just like you. And me.

FIRST EVER THREAD

PREVIOUS THREAD

curryeater Fri 25-Jan-13 10:57:41

hi greeneyed, thank you for the first hand info, very helpful. Do you mind if I ask you some things? did you notice any effect on your weight through taking them? What dose are you on? Thank you so much, don't answer if you don't want to.

Mouseface Fri 25-Jan-13 11:10:42

Curry - yet again I agree with Greeny. Fluoxetine is also known as Prozac and is a broad spectrum AD, covering depression, anxiety etc, it's widely used as a starting point if that makes sense.

If you've not been on ADs before or for a while, the GPs tend to start with it and see how you get on. Can I ask what mg you are on? 10 or 20 mg is a usual starting point, building up until you get to a level that feels right for you.

Some find it better to take at night to avoid any side effects such as making you drowsy, thirsty, as Greeny says etc. Some get side effects, some don't. smile

Drinking on them will make you feel sleepy and will undo what they're trying to do but you know that already. Read the leaflet in the box.

I would strongly advise researching it as with anything new you're going to take, and if you're not happy taking it then don't BUT PLEASE GO BACK TO YOUR GP AND TELL THEM.

As Greeny says, they are one of the safest ADs and widely used for that very reason. In fact, I bet most people you know here and in RL, have been or on them right now. smile

Sorry to hear that DD2 isn't so great, give her a squidge from me. I love the snuggling bit. Even though Nemo has me up most nights, lying next to him as he strokes my face telling me 'night night mamma bear' just melts my heart.

Right, time to get ready for school.

<waves to Greeny>

Back later.

determinedma Fri 25-Jan-13 11:31:20

thanks mouse havent lost anything this week and am SOOOOO pissed off. I am going to have takeaway tonight and hell mend it!
Then I tried to tax my car on line and discoverd the MOT expired last September! Holy Fuck! got an emergency one this afternoon but just didnt need any more money going out this month! Crappy crappy crap.
<feels hormonal and weepy>

aliasjoey Fri 25-Jan-13 12:12:00

ma you've been doing so well, and its HARD WORK I'm not surprised you feel a bit down. be gentle with yourself okay?

DD has had a stomach upset all week, little appetite and keeps complaining of nausea. this morning I caved and kept her off school, but I'm so anxious about having time off work....

helpyourself Fri 25-Jan-13 12:22:50

ma car admin is a real trigger for me, too! Prioritise the not drinking and give yourself a date to address the weight- perhaps when it gets warmer.
Now- has anyone looked at my puffy face? grin I'm going to take it down in a minute, so don't all rush at once!

Freetobeme Fri 25-Jan-13 12:34:14

Morning all

Clutter - I think you did well to just have the one and and stick to the plan to drive. You could have kept going, got a taxi, woken up hungover with a car to retrieve from the other side of town. I'm always doing that. I am going out to eat with a few girls tomorrow night , a bit of a test to do it dry but am driving 20 miles through snow to get there so drinking anything at all wont be an option and a taxi would be way to expensive so I think I'm gonna be alright.

Mouse - thanks for the advice re GP, life insurance etc. really not sure what to do. I want to access the goodies but I don't want to out myself as having a problem.

Alias - congrats on. 20 days, that is fabulous. Are you starting to see some benefits with skin, bloatedness etc. I always seem to look noticeably better after 2 weeks off the booze , like I've had a really good nights kip.

About the diet, I agree with mouse and would concentrate on keeping the sobriety going, and not worry too much about eating treats at the moment. But if you want to be healthy then Home made soups are healthy, warm and give you a bit of a virtuous glow when you make them, I would go for those over salad when it's as cold as this. Sauté any old veg in the fridge, a litre of bouillon and blitz it all up...lovely

Koala - love that description of the WW, so so true, it was definitely complacency that did for me last time (and the time before that, and the .....). I am going to refer back to that when I start to forget how awful it all was, and start thinking 2/3 glasses twice a Week couldn't hurt.

Even though I am on day 5, last night was my first real test. I don't normally drink in the week anyway as my DH works away - and one of the many ways I have tried to convince myself that I don't have a problem is that I don't drink alone. Normally when he gets back it is like a green light to hit the wine with gusto. I told him in the week that I was going to have a few weeks off the booze. So he had a couple of cans of lager while I stuck to lime and soda. He didn't open the wine, not sure if that was him being supportive or he just didn't fancy any. Either way it helped me out. I think he will drink wine tonight as I am making a nice meal but I am happy to say

I WILL NOT BE DRINKING TONIGHT

Have a happy sober day everyone. smile

Freetobeme Fri 25-Jan-13 12:35:10

Doh! It was morning when I started that...got interrupted...afternoon now!

aliasjoey Fri 25-Jan-13 12:51:14

free unfortunately I never seem to see any benefits really, not even when I did 7 weeks sober. sad perhaps a bit less anxious about will I / won't I drink (because the decision has been taken away) but I just find other things to worry about instead!

well I really ought to get dressed and tend to my sick daughter instead of drinking coffee in bed <full of self-loathing today>

koala 47 days! fandabbidozy!

determinedma Fri 25-Jan-13 13:40:29

help that looks really painful. Poor you

KoalaKube Fri 25-Jan-13 14:04:56

Oh dear help that's nasty bit like having your wisdom teeth out, but 5 doses of antibiotics - ugh!!!! Hope it goes down soon.

aliasjoey Fri 25-Jan-13 14:17:43

oh just thought of one thing, I don't have as much acid reflux any more. I'm sure there are other benefits if I think hard enough.

help oh poor you, hope you feel better soon!

Aw help poor you, that looks awfully sore (((( )))). alias hope your not feeling too guilty being off, these things happen and spending time with your little girl is important, hope she feels better soon. mouse glad you had a sick free night with Nemo, hope he continues to get better and he got on ok at school xx
curry well done on not drinking with dh last night, it's so hard to resist the things that usually trigger us. I was mighty glad this morning that I had not disgraced myself, ditched the car, hungover, and could do what I was meant to do today. It was so very hard though. Good luck for tonight, sounds like you have an immovable plan for why you CAN NOT drink and leave car.
purple hope your days been going ok lovely xx
Well off to get my little boy from first full session at nursery....it's been nice having 2.5 hours (altho took teenage one to shops for more uniform so that was fun...Not!)
Stay safe lovely babes and good luck telling the WW to f* off tonight! xxxx

eminemmerdale Fri 25-Jan-13 14:37:02

ooh ouch help that does look yukky sad
It sounds like everyone is feeling pretty positive today. I reckon support like this is such a boost smile Fro some insane reason, I leapt out of bed this morning and started singing 'wake up it's a beautiful morning' grin. Molly shouted 'Shut Up!', ds just looked baffled and dh put his head back under the covers and went 'oh christ..' hahahahaha. Been swimming (16 lengths, would've done more but camb united footballers got in and started walking up and down the lane like flipping premier league stars - they really are posers! )weighed myself and was a little pissed off not to have lost any, but then, i haven't gained either. DH says it could be something to do with the half a tub of lemon meringue ice cream I ate last night - oh and the pizza, and the two cadburys eggs blush oh well!
Friday is such a dangerous day - lets all stick together and say NOOOOOO!!!

helpyourself Fri 25-Jan-13 14:56:38

Thank you all! grin
I'm anonymous again now.

determinedma Fri 25-Jan-13 15:00:55

Really really heavy snow here. Very pretty though.

We are just wet, miserable & yucky here ma wish it was all white & pretty. Sorry that your feeling fed up with no weight gain, it's a hard time to try & your doing amazing with sobriety so if possible try not to be too hard on yourself. Agree with curry that yummy, warm, healthy soups in this weather would be more appealing than cold salad. Hugs for you brave babe (( ))

Ooops sooty meant to say with no weight loss, obviously! xx

greeneyed Fri 25-Jan-13 15:38:06

curry I'm on 20mg same as I started on and never needed to go up. I didn't gain any weight. Like mouse said I take mine before bed - I've always drank on them and not noticed any interaction though maybe they would work better if I didn't drink grin

greeneyed Fri 25-Jan-13 15:39:20

purps where are you? Barry is oiled and ready if you need him!

determinedma Fri 25-Jan-13 16:46:13

Feck in car MoT cost £107 which I could have done without this month.
And the final straw today is the button has come off my trousers!
Sheesh.

Mouseface Fri 25-Jan-13 17:38:48

<sniggers at Ma's final straw being a button coming off> grin

Help!!! - I missed your face sad but I do hope that after all of this time it goes down soon. You've been struggling for ages! Poor you. xx

Ma - just start again on Monday okay? With me? We'll do it together and maybe meal plan too? Are you up for that? In fact we could all do it, the Boot Campers? Sorry about the MOT, not what you need right now sad

This weather is a killer for dieting but as Free said, home-made soups are divine. I love them. BUT I want chunks of bread and butter with mine grin I have to not eat the bread. My muffin top, really is a muffin! grin

Em - if you can maintain once you lose a bit then take that as a great thing for now....

Those trying to lose weight AND stop drinking are putting far too much pressure on themselves. Small changes = big differences. So, swapping a few things round can really help.

Instead of tea and coffee, try and drink a warm Ribena or fruit tea. Instead of full fat, by low cal, low salt, low sugar, sugar free stuff and see if that helps.

Weight Watchers do a great range of EVERYTHING these days even if you're not following the diet, their foods are low everything. Or a low GI food diet.

It's common sense really isn't it? Just trying to make it interesting is the hardest part and eating separately to the rest of the family can be a PITFA! grin

If you can't eat separate meals at dinner times, try to be good at lunch and breakfast. Little changes are easier than stopping everything all at once and getting pissed off with trying, surely?

Greeny - I always used to drink on my ADs and the GP just gave me that 'look' when I fessed up. So, that's when he said about helping me with a decent pain management course, I'd have to come off the ADs as they clashed with certain meds, and I'd have to stop or dramatically cut back on the booze otherwise there'd be no point.

"Alcohol is a depressant, why would you want to depress yourself?" - wise words.

Nemo actually had a great day and played with another young lad who will go up to school (can you believe our Bus baby boy will be going up to school in September?!?) with him and who also has speech issues. He's had gromits fitted but I haven't noticed an improvement in his speech which is another reason why where's not bothering and going for hearing aids to amplify the sounds he hears.

Home-made pizza tonight so at least I know what's going on them!

determinedma Fri 25-Jan-13 18:12:35

Snot funny mouse. But yes to starting together on Monday. Gave in and ordered Chinese takeaway. Driver nearly turned back, took 3 good Samaritans to push his car up the hill. Snow is dreadful but at the very pretty stage, deep and sparkly.
We are all cosied in in front of the fire watching LOTR again. Dd and I will drool over Aragorn, Dcs will like the orcs and dh will fall asleep.
Nemo can't be going to big boy school in autumn! Our bus baby is all growed up..mind you, Dcs is 11 on Monday and goes to High School in august too.

Silver66 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:30:57

<whispers>

hello

I DECIDED TO RESIGN FROM MY JOB TODAY, and I am so relieved, scared and excited at the same time.

phew

wink

Coming back on here is a major major step for me...........

Please be kind

Oh - I've been pretty much sober since 28th August last year.

xxxx

Silver66 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:39:58

I'm also going to sneak away now. Baby steps for me too - not with alcohol but with my sorry head xxx

Mouseface Fri 25-Jan-13 20:04:13

SILVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you Babe, welcome home. I'm glad you have taken a huge step in RL. Two actually, but quitting your job sober shows that you are ready, at last, to be YOU.

Massive hugs. xxxxxx

Come back when you feel ready xxxxx.

This thread is not accepting new messages.