Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - New Year? So, Let's Go Up A Gear!

(1000 Posts)
ChristMouseTimeMistletoeNoWine Wed 26-Dec-12 21:54:45

Hello, tis me, Mouse (normally Mouseface but I'm wearing my festive name smile)

Welcome to the Brave Babes Battle Bus, to a place of solace, support and sanctuary, if that's what you seek of course. It's also a Bus full of bloomin' chatterboxes, waffling on about life, love and all things from school reports to laundry! grin

The journey into 2013 is going to be an ass kicking one as we're moving up a gear to give the WineWitch a bloody good slapping, and the BoozeBeast a kick in the bollo............. grin

Some of us drink in moderation, some of us drink. Some of us are sober, some of us are trying so very, very hard to be.

Some of us have been dry for days, weeks, months and some of us years...... some of us are just starting out and are scared of what stopping drinking means. It's not forever, it's just for today if that's what you want. smile

We have a saying on the Bus One Day At A Time. Or ODAAT

Take each moment, each day and each blip as it comes. The support on this Bus has kept me from ruining my life time and time again. The experiences of others shared here has helped me to change the way I see alcohol, the way I see what it does to me.

Although some Babes have been here a while and kind of 'know' each other, we all have different lives, different roles to play, different places to sit on the Bus, but we ALL have or have had abusive relationships with alcohol and we're here because we want that to change; for the better.

Everyone is welcome here so don't be afraid to just jump right in and say hi. Post as much or as little as you like!

So, come say hi, grab a seat, an eggnog (non alcoholic of course wink) and a mince pie, or chocolate chip cookie, and meet some lovely, genuine people who are just like YOU.

Also, HERE IS THE PREVIOUS THREAD with a link in the OP to the first ever thread, and the reason why after more than two and a half years, this thread is still here, supporting those in need. smile

greeneyed Mon 31-Dec-12 09:34:43

Good morning babes! I have been lurking and reading when I can, haven't been able to post for last couple of days - As always I am inspired and humbled to read all your posts. Thread has moved on too much for me to comment personally to you all right now but have some stuff to say I'll hopefully be able to come back later.

Update on burning fanjo hell (sorry new babes!) it's getting better, saw doc today swab results are back, it's a strep skin infection not STI - thank God - huge sense of relief and I am no longer sitting in a darkened room with my pants down crying grin

In-laws have gone now so that's Christmas finally over, just New Year to get through now - I'm so tired and we actually have a baby sitter tonight for the first time in years so are going to the pub. Will drink but hope not to overdo it then Ma I'm with you - I'll post my stats later when I build up the courage to get on the scales! Love to all - Keep on keeping on and best of luck in keeping to your aims this evening xx

Oh and help I'm sorry to see you go, I like your advice and tough talking but understand if this space isn't good for you anymore, thank you for your help in the past and best wishes x

dementedma Mon 31-Dec-12 10:06:21

grin at mouse. and what makes you think I want him back on Feb 1st?
koala you are one brave bear, lady, and will be inspiring me when I wobble
clutter well done on the trouser count - looks like you and me are going to have whole new wardrobes later in the year.
Okay weekly units for me have been, on average, 45 ish.

aliasjoey Mon 31-Dec-12 10:48:43

ah units I can do!

At the moment, when its controlled, 3-4 units a week.

But sometimes its not controlled and that amount is several times a week. In the last week it was every day except Boxing Day. And once I get started, its hard to stop.

Okay the sherry. Told DH I did not like having it in the house. 'My' wine I can cope with - extra stuff just lying around is too tempting. Should I throw it away? My inner miserly Scot rebels at the thought of pouring it all down the sink. There's probably about 2/3 of the bottle left.

Right, I'm feeling like crap today but trying to recapture the determination and optimism I felt yesterday about making some positive changes for 2013.

Please Ma may I join your bootcamp? grin
I'm 5'8 (almost) and I just weighed in at 12st 7lbs. That's the heaviest I've ever been, by quite a bit. blush I cringe when I see photos of myself - dull skin, bloated face, lines settling in, double chin. sad I'm not even 40 (that joy is to come this year) yet, and I look like a middle aged lush. I decided to embrace my curves a couple of months ago and wear size 14 (I still go in and out at the right places, at least), but I'm just getting bigger, heavier and unhealthier by the month.

I cut down my drinking a lot earlier in the year but it's crept back up again over the months. I don't want to abstain entirely, never have, but I'm drinking too much again and I need to cut back.

So, my plan for January and February is no white wine at all (bar one occasion when I intend to have some bubbly), and red wine in moderation at weekends only. So no wine at all Mon-Thurs. I'm starting that on Jan 2nd. Plan for food is to be low GI and some low-carb. I need to do the exercises the physio gave me for my back, as I've been getting lax about that again. The extra weight doesn't help my back either. Lots of walking the dog, some light weights on the exercise ball to tone up.

Motivation is a trip to Italy in March for which we desperately need to save some money, and being able to feel a bit better about myself in the land of beautiful people! grin

<<settles back into sidecar, eyes roof rack hopefully>>

kotinka Mon 31-Dec-12 11:35:09

Joey - how about freezing it in icecubes to use for cooking?

kotinka Mon 31-Dec-12 11:35:35

Hello Mia, nice namechange.

aliasjoey Mon 31-Dec-12 11:36:20

hello mia that sounds like a great plan!

aliasjoey Mon 31-Dec-12 11:37:54

kotinka that is a good idea, would that work? it might also inspire me to actually cook properly grin

ChristMouseTimeMistletoeNoWine Mon 31-Dec-12 11:39:00

Morning, tis me, Mouse

Mia - great name change! And yay for another Boot Campee grin That sounds a bit erm, camp doesn't it? 'Campee?' grin

Help - have you left the Bus? I'm sorry to see you go if that's the case, I too have held your advice in high regard. A difference of opinion is always going to happen between a group of people all sharing the same space. I'm sad to think that has made you or any Babe leave this Bus. sad

Greeny - glad your lady front garden is much better! You must be very relieved that it's not an STI. Are you going to tell DH about it now and how you felt? You worries? xx

Ma - tell me when you want him back, I have a need for a slave to scrub this house cleaner, I can't do it because of my back and hips. In return, I'll let him live. Fair deal? grin

Koala - I like your posts, very positive and strong! Great to see smile

Joey - planning is the key for me, I hope it works for you too xx

Right, I'm off to pack. We're off to our usual NY celebrations with friends. I love NY with them, a bit of Jules Holland and fizz, then bed at 12.01am.

I'll check in again later. Good luck today Babes, you can do it! xx

PS - Obrigada, Silver, IsinDe, MsGee, SAF and all other MIA Babes, please just pop in to say hi if you get chance

SobaSoma Mon 31-Dec-12 11:45:15

NYNM love the new name (you were Golden right?). You don't look remotely like a middle-aged lush, that's my department smile I think it's a great idea to embrace one's curves, I try to do the same but definitely know that if a windfall of a few grand came my way, the absolutely first thing I'd spend it on is a breast reduction. Joey how could anyone think it was you who had fleas? I just took Alfie to the vet and they reckon it's an allergic skin condition and have prescribed medication (and charged me nearly £90 for the privilege). Thank God I've got insurance.

On day 4 and struggling a bit but need to keep coming back to the fact that I can't drink. Think this is making me feel a bit lonely and sad because I've always used alcohol as a crutch. One of the biggest issues I have is coming to terms with never having been in a lasting, loving relationship. I thought I'd sorted this in my head but it's obvious I haven't; am dreaming every night about exes and new relationships. It's all a bit sad at my age isn't it? Think I need to branch out too and make some new friends/develop interests. Hoping I can finally lay it to rest, without the aid of alcohol, in 2013. Sorry for the me-me post, hope everyone's doing something nice tonight and catch you later xx

aliasjoey Mon 31-Dec-12 12:05:42

hmmm apparently you can't really freeze sherry, the alcohol content is too high. Quote>> The higher the alcohol content that more difficult to freeze.
Plus there's no real reason to freeze sherry. It lasts for a very long time in the bottle stored in a cool place. >> clearly not an alcoholic who wrote that. 'No real reason' !! obviously written by a smug sober person envy

soma what medication did the vet prescribe? is there any particular part of his body that he is chewing or scratching? Did they scrape for mange?

Greyhound Mon 31-Dec-12 13:35:16

Hi babes - well, I'm reading through this thread but just thought I'd say "HI!".

Drinking still over Xmas but didn't get pissed. Have actually found a wine so disgusting that even I had to chuck it - Three Mills English Red Wine. It is vile stuff.

Somebody gave me a bottle of fortified red wine with chocolate essence - icky! Haven't opened the bottle and don't plan to either.

Bought some champagne for Christmas Day. It was a nice treat and I shared it with dh who doesn't normally drink.

Hoping everyone is ok, sounds like some of you are having a hard time at the moment sad

dementedma Mon 31-Dec-12 15:38:09

Hi mia welcome to Boot Camp. You are almost identical to me in height and weight but I am a flubbery 16 rather than a curvy 14.
I went for a walk today in the pissing rain and came back energised, then made the mistake of measuring the bit where my waist used to be. OMFG1!
Of all the pre-bootcamp tests and stats, that one made me cry a little bit. It now seems such a big job...however, that's 4 walks this week and I am due on so might be a little bloated <hopeful emoticon>
DD2 has gone to Glasgow to sing tonight on the BBC Hogmanay show. well, with a choir, not alone, but still! She got a real kick out of saying "Just off to the Beeb for rehearsals for the show tonight!" grin So did I...stealth boast or what?
horse if you are out there, dust those pompoms off. We need you for Dry January.

guggenheim Mon 31-Dec-12 15:42:18

hello lovely babes

Blimey this bus shifts fast! Fleas,bootcamp,sore bits,freezing booze,burning boxes...

I love the new year- a lovely, shiny new beginning. I tried to persuade DH to do the box burning ritual, what a fab idea, but no joy there. mouse I think I may have to steal your idea.smile

Right, well I'm fat, fat ,fat. I need to stop drinking and stop eating all that chocolate. I'm going to start jogging again and when I have a proper job I will join the gym again.

I'm 5 foot and '3/4 inches'. The 3/4 is vital, otherwise I would be short. ahem.
I'm 9 stone something (no scales, will buy some soon)
By june I will be 8 1/2 stone.
All of my trousers are tight and my best pair need to be packed away until I lose some weight, can't afford new clothes now.

I'd like to lose more than half a stone but at least that would be a good start. I need to stop drinking first, and this time I need to stop, not cut down. This is the least boozy crimbo I've had for years but I'm still drinking. Enough now.

Big wave to new babes and best wishes- you're in a very safe place here.

guggenheim Mon 31-Dec-12 15:43:33

no, no- I'm taller than that- I'm 5 foot 2 AND 3/4 inches. Still fat tho.

shaketheshame Mon 31-Dec-12 16:36:55

Hi everyone,

I hope you'll have all a great new year eve party. I have been following this thread even if I haven't been an active poster. I have until couple of weeks ago I was having a rough time. I think the reason was I was quite depressed again as I couldn't go for runs due to an injury, I'm better now and I can exercise again which helps me with my mood.

Anyway, when I was really feeling down. I drank some red wine (after more than a year alcohol free)...I drank it, didn't enjoy it and had a horrible night afterwards and a nasty hangover...in one drinking session only I was back to square one.. Anyway it was almost 3 weeks ago and I didn't drink since and I dont want to.

I keep thinking about it..

HorsesDogsNails Mon 31-Dec-12 16:54:14

Hey ma I'm here!!

I am most definitely rooting for you (and everyone else) for dry January...... Tbh I should join you really - not for the alcohol side of it as such, but the weight side of it. I am 5' 7" and weigh far too much - I am a large 16/small 18 in clothes and that's the biggest I have ever been.....

My job really doesn't help my diet, I work odd hours and large parts of my day are spent in the car (I am a mobile Nail Technician) so I struggle to eat proper meals and find biscuits too easy to eat while I'm driving. I do, however, have a dog so walk him every day. DH keeps trying to get me to try running, but I hate running!!

How can I eat more sensibly/healthily when I work 9am - 3pm every day and then 3 evenings a week? It's tricky <sighs> and I'm basically greedy <sighs harder>...... Anyway, sorry to be a bit 'me', I am as always reading and supporting everyone.

lookingforhope Mon 31-Dec-12 18:45:59

Hello babes. Wanted to wish you all a happy new year, whatever your plans are. I am off to a party that has been planned since October but am determined to pay attention to my intake and not overdo it. I'll be at the bus stop tomorrow ready to.hop on - after I have done my New Year jog. Resolution - 30 mins exercise each day in January and phasing out booze from 7 t h Jan once I am back at work and my holiday social commitments are over. Actually can't wait! Happy 2013 everyone x

dementedma Mon 31-Dec-12 19:02:25

hi horses its hard when you work and come in dog tired and just stick your head in the fridge. it takes a bit of planning. DS and I have had a healthy yummy veggie stirfry for dinner. Feel both virtuous and hungry.
I am also drinking wine. I poured a glass and held it aloft in a toast and I said "here's to you wine witch. because it's time you and I parted company!"
Today the road I have been on so long, has finally forked. I can take the path of least resistance, or the road less travelled. I choose the second, and its going to be quite a journey. I have posted this poem before, so apologies for the repetition but it might be new to some people.

The Journey

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice --
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do --
determined to save
the only life you could save.

~ Mary Oliver ~

See ya on the road. Babes

guggenheim Mon 31-Dec-12 19:12:24

That's a great poem, thanks for sharing ma.

Yup- that wine witch can fuck the fuck off in 2013. I'm feeling optimistic about next year.

shake there is no way that 1 night of drinking wipes out a whole years worth of abstaining! It's a blip at worst- think of the good you have done your body by staying sober for so long. Everyone trips up, it doesn't matter. A new year and a new beginning.

Happy new year you lot. x

kotinka Mon 31-Dec-12 20:34:08

joey - it should freeze, it's only about 18%. Vodka won't.

Right, off out to manchester to be in a gangnam-athon!

(and no booze allowed).

Happy new year everyone.

aliasjoey Mon 31-Dec-12 21:37:36

I have 'power-walked' the dog (he looks confused) and taken a longer route

I don't even want to know how much I weigh, but have a wedding to go to in April so plan to get fit for thenthen

ma you are an inspiration, thank you

ChristMouseTimeMistletoeNoWine Mon 31-Dec-12 22:58:16

Happy New Year for later Brave Babes. Hugh Jackman is on tv. That is all. grin x x x x

PurpleWolfe Mon 31-Dec-12 23:09:01

Mouse - Tart!!! wink xx

dementedma Mon 31-Dec-12 23:09:46

Well done alias these are the small changes which will show results. I have had a healthy stir fry for dinner and just tipped an entire bottle of white wine down the sink!
Have also eaten a chunk of Christmas cake and am drinking a glass of port so have some way to go!!
Happy New Year mouse I hope 2013 is a healthy one for you and dear nemo

This thread is not accepting new messages.