Anyone have any advice ref possible redundancy pls

(4 Posts)
rusty100 Thu 25-Jul-13 19:57:52

btw, we have a copy of the documented plans to recruit someone n April, then have a redundancy in Sept, another appointment in January followed by a redundancy next year.
Another role is being made redundant, there is a similar role currently being advertised, and 3 identical staff to the latest vacancy were made redundant 5 months ago.

rusty100 Thu 25-Jul-13 19:51:49

The team's results have been variable for years tbh, and I think none of us would argue we have been brilliantly successful consistently. Against an annual £1m target I've billed £15m in 6.5 years, so not a failure, but 75% isn't great.
Colleagues have been less succesful than this, but we've all been horrendously badly managed. Boss has had us all on side, "don't worry everyone knows how hard it is for you lot, you are adding so much value in other ways", type of messages. Behind the scenes this strategy to get rid of the team & replace us all has been in play.
It feels like a huge betrayal tbh, and is just a tactic to buy time for the boss.
I am moaning I know, it does no good but makes me feel better.
I suppose I shoudl just approach ACAS.

chickensaladagain Thu 25-Jul-13 19:31:46

You were the most successful in your team on 75% of target?

I'm curious as to why they couldn't go down the performance management route in that case?

Have you actually seen the documented plans as they would have to be pretty stupid for that to leak out

Acas always the best place to start I think -good luck

rusty100 Thu 25-Jul-13 19:27:51

I have been in a sales job for 7 years. I've been pretty successful. Last year I was 75% of target. Noone else in team was near target.

Boss has been an incompetent since appointment 6 years ago. We all succeed in spite of him.

The Company is doing badly tho. and it has been deemed that the sales team are the problem. A colleague uncovered a proposal to the board from our boss, the Sales & Marketing Director to recruit replacement staff with a slightly different title and description but essentially the same job & make us redundant in stages - but 6 months after the appointment of our replacements.

One new person has been recruited, under very fishy circumstances, I expect one of the team to be made redudant 6 months after this appointment which will be in Sept.

Because of some success and a range of mitigating circumstances I think we couldn't be performance managed out. We haven't been unsuccessful enough.

I suspect that having this document outlining the plans and the jobs being so similar means we could have a case for constructive dismissal. I wouldn't know where to start though. Do I try ACAS? My perception is that CAB is onerous. Is there a no win no fee route I could chose. I'm a single parent and this would have a catastrophic effect on me/family. I also can't afford a solicitor.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now