15 weeks pregnant and possible redundancy

(3 Posts)

I'm a full time employee and the company have announced that my department is likely to be re-structured soon. I've read that if I am made redundant before the last 15 weeks of my pregancy (ie before June 12th) I won't qualify for SMP! I'm confused as to whether being made redundant INCLUDES my notice period which is 90 days... or is it from the day I 'leave'....? HELP!!!

hermioneweasley Wed 03-Apr-13 16:35:17

I believe it is from your termination date - so if you work your notice you will be building up service, but if you are dismissed with pay in lieu then your notice won't count

Worth checking your contract to see if there is a pay in lieu provision - if not you could insist on working your notice/being put on garden leave

AmandaPayntedEgg Wed 03-Apr-13 16:37:41

Yup, it depends whether you are asked to work/put on garden leave or paid in lieu.

Do bear in mind that, even if you don't qualify for SMP, you might get maternity allowance. You don't get the good 6 weeks at the start, but you do get the same length of time at the flat rate. And because it's a benefit it always used to be the case you didn't pay income tax on it (if applicable to you, and disclaimer, it was a while ago I last looked at the tax status).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now