Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

best pushchair for 3 years old

(87 Posts)
margobambino Mon 31-May-10 22:54:09

Hi, We have Stokke Xplory but DS is now growing out of it. We are looking for something roomy for a 3 years old who looks like 4 and sturdy enough to carry him when he wants to run but has to stay in the pushchair. I'd appreciate any advice.

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 18-Jul-10 15:59:35

We have an XLR for my DD, who is 3.9 but easily the height of a 5 year old....she has SN but I hate that people have to justify why they have their kid in a buggy tbh, each to their own.

GirlofCadiz Mon 19-Jul-10 14:24:46

My three year old was fine in a maclaren triumph when we needed it. I pulled the old P+T out the other day to sell it and ds still fits into that. He is 5 now.

whatdoesntkillyou Mon 19-Jul-10 15:18:42

Can't you judgemental people calm down. IMO there are a multitude of reasons why a 3 year old child may need a buggy- most of which have been covered.

However, if none of those reasons are acceptable in your judgey world could you consider keeping your comments to yourself?

lynn7300 Mon 19-Jul-10 16:22:22

OMG I HAVE ONLY BEEN A MEMEBER OF MUMSNET FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND CANT BELIEIVE SOME OF THE NASTY COMMENTS I THOUGHT WE AS MOTHERS WOULD BE SUPPORTIVE OF EACH OTHER THANK GOODNESS SOME PEOPLE ARE

I AM SO SUPRISED BY SOME OF THE COMMENTS WITH THERE IDEAS ON A FLAMING PUSHCHAIR ITS ONLY A PUSHCHAIR FOR A 3 YEAR OLD....

deedee24 Sun 15-Aug-10 21:16:05

i have just bought a mountain buggy terrain double off ebay for my 4.2 year old & 1 year old daughters.
read the reviews and they are fab at taking an older childs weight.
People will probably ask why ive only just bought a double...well we have a few long day trips and a holiday planned and it is a seat for my 4 year old for when she gets tired that i was looking for...whats wrong with giving your tired kids legs a rest??!!
she won't be in there much because she enjoys walking and exploring but its there if she needs it long walks,swimming and staying up late on holiday=tired 4 year old! and when she starts school and isn't in the buggy i can put my shopping in her seat whilst my 1 year old sits happily in the other seat.
i couldn't care less what others think if it makes our lives easier (not car owners) then so what!
i have a mamas and papas pipi stroller and my 4 year old fits in that fine if thats any help! dee x

Morena Thu 09-Sep-10 14:45:58

OmG! I in the same situation but now a bit scared! Am I doing something terrible?;) Anyway I saw someone pushing what seemed a gigantic buggy another day. I could see it was maclaren but I don't think is the xt. Any clues about that model?
It was light grey and silver.
It had 4 wheels.

nicolamumof3 Thu 09-Sep-10 15:22:36

It could possibly be the maclaren major which is sn buggy?

Eartha20 Thu 06-Oct-11 21:53:41

Absolutely shocked at the bitterness on this thread. Every child is different and it's up to the mother to decide, and NOT for other mothers to criticize or judge them. We are supposed to support each other. I'm not visiting mumsnet again.

Tiggywunkle Thu 06-Oct-11 22:18:07

Thankfully I have been away and have missed most of this thread...but whilst we were away my daughter who is now three, has happily scooted around or walked all day long, but by the time we had finished dinner, watched a show, even though it wasn't her bed time she was tired. After the first night where we had a long walk home, and she grumbled and cried because she was tired all the way home after being impeccably behaved all day (and quite rightly so because we were tired too), we took a pushchair with us on subsequent days. We do an awful lot of all day trips and again whilst she walks a fair bit it's extremely useful to have a pushchair, especially in shops where I not need helping hands or I want to browse. At this point in time I wouldn't even consider doing a food shop without the pushchair (double) because we walk by a main road plus it's quicker, easier and keeps me sane rather than juggling reins, basket, shopping and a single pushchair. There's times and places when a pushchair for a three year old are very appropriate.

Tiggywunkle Thu 06-Oct-11 22:20:12

BTW she fits great in the Peach, Noa, B-Agile, BJCM, BJ Elite and more.

Well MY DD was out of the buggy at only a few weeks old. Shed told me she didn't want to go in one so I never put her in one again.

Still carried her in a sling, asleep at times, when she was 2 and 3 and even 4. If she still needed it I still would, where is the problem?

this thread is 18 months old.... i wonder what the OP got in the end? lol

Haha good point. Wonder if it's still working for them.

AnxiousElephant Thu 06-Oct-11 22:45:00

None! They have perfectly good legs unless you walk gawd knows how many miles to take other children to school etc! shock A weight problem waiting to happen imo!

zakimum Fri 25-Nov-11 23:23:25

i dont understand what the problem is with you judgemental aggressive mums - witch hunting a mum like this!

Nic3473 Fri 23-Mar-12 11:49:04

I'm shocked at how some people think they are the best parents in the world because their child was able to walk at an early age and not tire as quick as some other mums children do, all I can say is be thankful your child can actually walk, my child is 3 and can't walk due to health and to hear some people saying your child should be out of a buggy age 2 1/2 makes me so angry!! Every child is different in the first place and to be making this poor woman who posted asking for advice on a pushchair feel like a bad mother because she still needs to use one, if I'm not mistaken she didn't ask you all to tell he when she should stop using one... Give your heads a wobble and don't answer peoples posts if you have nothing nice or helpful to say... If my boy needs a pushchair until he is 15 so what... The person that slates me for it will be the first one needing their own wheelchair....

Highheeledmum Sun 07-Apr-13 13:58:39

I very rarely use these sites (kind of scared of those righteous women who have those perfec kids and tell you you're a crap mother at the drop of a hat!) but I was just googling to see if I could find a light weight pram to take on holiday for my 3year old as we'll be walking a lot.

I couldn't believe the response from those hideous women, particularly the one comparing mothers smoking next to their kids as being the same as letting a 3 year old sit in a push chair.

Get. A. Grip!

Good to know there are plenty of you who don't think in this way.

ValarMorGoolis Sun 07-Apr-13 14:06:15

My Dad takes a buggy to the zoo just to carry his picnic grin

My DD will fit in the BJCM for a long time yet, (DS had a good loll about in it while the baby walked around the museum recently, and he was 5 smile) but it's pricey for the time you'll use it.

When DS started school I did a scooter training regime for the mile walk.

dillipickle Fri 19-Apr-13 10:40:53

Shocked and appalled by the judgemental and absurd responses on here. But I am truly happy to see these are by a minority and the majority are by kind, helpful and supportive human beings.

I realise this is an old thread but came across it as I am looking for a buggy that will help for my big 2yo when we travel and he will need a place to nap/rest when he is tired, I have decided to go with the baby jogger city mini 3 wheeler.

BangOn Fri 19-Apr-13 10:52:07

op, can't understand why everyone is leaping on you for putting your 3 yr old in a buggy. some people are so obsessed with what everyone else 'should' be doing, they forget that everyone's circumstances are different. If you never walk further than half a mile down the road, & you never have to get anywhere urgently you probably don't need a buggy for a 3 yr old. Ditto if your child rides aroud with you in the car all day. Everyone else id probably going to need to stick their 3 yr old in the pushchair at some stage. now unhoik those judgeypants everyone.

awkwardsis Fri 19-Apr-13 11:38:24

High heeled mum I am actually amused at your outrage considering this is a very very old thread you've brought back to life. You must have actualyl searched for this to find it. 3 year olds in pushchairs? Meh. I don't drive. Get over it.

Tiggywunkle Fri 19-Apr-13 21:07:30

I was about to say the same awkwardsis
Why dig out an old thread to comment on??
Believe me I could argue this one to death re why an older child should / needs to be in a pushchair, but I am not wasting my time.

dillipickle I bought a city mini this week after hating them for years! It's actually for my 15 month old but my 5yo had a go in it and, while she can't get the hood down over her head and her legs were slightly hanging over the end, there was plenty of room in the seat for her smile

Helenkenyon Fri 19-Apr-13 22:55:45

I fell so sorry for this lady she was only asking for advice, children are all so different some walk every where when they are 2 some hate walking and are in a buggy till they don't fit in them!!
My advice for this lady have a look at the maclaren xlr that's what my son is in who is only 20 months but its quite roomy and the hood is high so if your little one is tall might help, or maybe look at something with big wheels to make it easy to push.
Hope it helps. smile

Gemz31 Thu 13-Jun-13 12:35:13

Omg! I would rather my 3 year( although not in buggy) was safe! Baring in mind the heat and often long walks on holidays a buggy can come in very handy! Zeta vooom is perfect for this extra height lightweight and cheap I cant recommend this enuff, I dont think the woman was looking for parenting advice!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now