Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Compact, high handled, easy to push, lightweight pushchair????

(15 Posts)

Im on the lookout for yet another pushchair. I currently have a BJCM but I hate, hate, hate the thing so its getting flogged asap, and a Cameleon. While I love my cam, its a bit of a beast and not really the thing to be taking on a packed commuter train in rush hour. My criteria are:

Compact
Lightweight
One piece fold
Easy to push as I have a seriously dodgy back
Reasonable recline on it as DS is only 7mo
High handles as both OH and I are v.tall.
4 wheels, I really don't like 3 wheel buggies
And finally, no 'cuteness' While I can cope with things like aeroplanes, stripes or spots, Mickey mouse, hello kitty, cutesy slogans or pictures and anything proclaming me to be a yummy mummy is definitely out!!

Anyone got any thoughts?

Ah, was going to suggest a BJCM4 grin

Mac Techno XT?

Mumof3xx Tue 11-Mar-14 19:32:18

M&p armadillo?

Currently £50 off

I really want one!

AliceMum09 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:53:03

How can you hate a BJCM?!

Anyway, Maclaren Techno XT sounds like a good choice for you. I had one and found the handles to be just a little too high for me even on the lowest setting, and you can adjust them to a further two positions higher than that.

The recline is good, it's suitable from birth so it goes pretty much flat. And the extending hood is brilliant, it comes 'down' as well as just going further out than a normal stroller hood.

How can I hate a BJCM. This might take a while!!!!

Saggy seat fabrics, while OK for the baby, made my dd whine nonstop as they dug into the back of her knees.

The way the harness is attached but still loose at the waist, so dd was able to escape from the shoulder straps by shimmying about. No amount of tightening ever stopped her.

Brakes don't hold very well and randomly release. Especially when on buses going around the corner.

Seat fabric has the mesh closing it in at the top which means you cant pull a footmuff up and over the back of a seat to fix it in place. They keep sliding down in the winter, meaning the baby slumps down.

Rear wheels squeeeeeeeeak like wet wheels,on lino. Constantly. Regardless of whether they are wet or not. And no amount of sillicon spray is fixing it.

Dodgy sewing on the basket. Ive managed to seperate the basket fabric from the elastic on the sides twice now.

Raincover is just crap, especially when compared to the cam one. Doesn't seem to fix properly at the front, so when dd sat in it in the rain, she always got wet shoes.

Nigh on impossible to bump down steps/out of my front door/on and off trains, buses, kerbs e.t.c. I need to put a lot of weight on the handlebar to get it to tip. Not an issue with my cam or several other buggies I have had

Suspension is all but non existent, but anything will be compared to a cameleon!!!

Safe to say Im not the worlds biggest fan

Deffo a Maclaren. Of you are planning on more dc get the XLR as you can at a later date add a carrycot so suitable from birth.

Strange. Apart from the mesh/footmuff issue I've never had a problem and have had 4 BJCMS in their various forms and use a GT every day. Luckily dd2 is turned 2 and mostly out of the footmuff stage now so not an issue for much longer. Then again my beloved pushchair won't be an issue for much longer <sob>

Definitely XT for you then. I was very fond of my one.

AliceMum09 Wed 12-Mar-14 14:49:46

Me too, I love everything about mine, but I do agree that it's annoying the way you can't hook a Buggysnuggle footmuff over the back of the seat!
That's my only problem with it! I never bought the 'official' raincover, I have a Red Kite one that I got from Asda which fits perfectly (with the hood fully extended though, it's not so good with the hood just pulled out half way).

Artandco Wed 12-Mar-14 14:57:06

Not the xlr. We had the chameleon, borrowed friends xlr and it was horrid. Impossible to push one handed, heavy, floss huge, baby sagged down

I suggest the babyzen yoyo ( folds into hand luggage size so handy if you have to fold on train/ take on plane )

Otherwise you can't go wrong with a bugaboo bee ( Lots on eBay also)

Sgj14 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:18:38

Mumof3xx- how do you get the £50 off? I've done a google search and nothing has come up, and i haven't seen anything in their emails. I really fancy the armadillo too and will definitely try it out with £50 off. TIA x

Mumof3xx Wed 12-Mar-14 20:52:03

It's a code I got in an email

CRMARMADILLO

Sgj14 Wed 12-Mar-14 20:54:09

Thank you!

Tiggywunkle Thu 13-Mar-14 23:46:23

The Armadillo is just horrible - the seat doesn't sit upright. The harness is hard work.

At least two of your issues are resolved on the new 2014 BJCM4 - they have new style harnesses and buckles. There are boards in the seats too. A footmuff can easily be attached by using one with ties and pushing the ends through the mesh and tying them.
I can't believe you think the raincover is worse than the Cam one! There's loads of alternatives on the market which are easier to fit.

Anyway you clearly don't like your Baby Jogger - but I think you have been unlucky.

Look at a Babyzen YoYo! I can't think of much better - but don't grumble about the lack of suspension, or the even worse raincover, or the hard to put on and off brake.....

Actimaladdict Sat 22-Mar-14 18:10:32

Stokee! V.high handle and seat. V.easy to push with one hand.

I love mine

Stokkee xplory

Just a quick update to this,

I went to have a play with pushchairs last weekend. Had a look at an Armadillo, but ds hated it as it didn't sit up enough for him, and the harness buckle drove me completely bonkers

So I am now the owner of a techno xt, which we got for just over £100 as Kiddicare had an offer on, and we had some vouchers. And as a pushchair, it works very well for us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now