Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

What do you do when it rains?

(23 Posts)
Tiggywunkle Thu 20-Jun-13 22:01:31

Or why can't pushchair manufacturers do built in raincovers under the seat unit or in the rear of the seat like the Babystyle Oyster insect net - but a raincover? Its my project to try and get these made on pushchairs in the future!!

I have to say though, Kiddy have made a huge step in the right direction by building in a "foot" raincover into the bumper bar ie it unzips and pulls out over the feet of the child. The hood then gets pulled right down and the child is kept dry. Genius!! It is on their new Click 'N Move. Its perfect for me as I never have a raincover when I need one and I hate that raincovers fill up the basket space.....never mind what you do with them on tandems like the Jane Twone if a shower is threatening and you need to take them with you!

MiaowTheCat Tue 18-Jun-13 08:56:09

I just work on my drowned rat impression, and mentally stew over the fact I'm going to have to figure out how to get the bloody raincover back folded down to a relatively sensible size.

But it's got to be raining fairly heavily for me to put the raincover on - DD1 hates it (apart from trying to poke her head out to lick the raindrops off it). Why can't science invent a raincover that doesn't irreversibly quadruple in size the second you take it out of the packaging?!

stay in.

I have a buggy brolly that attaches to the handle of the buggy and it works brilliantly 3monthmaid. It's not great in high winds but no umbrella is.

I also have a Maclaren Techno XT which can be pushed one handed so I can hold a normal umbrella if I want.

DontmindifIdo Sun 16-Jun-13 21:31:58

Surely you buy the Boden rainy day mac or another coat with hood, or get a pushchair you can push with one hand.

austenozzy Sun 16-Jun-13 21:26:39

Oi, don't be dissing me and my umbrella hat! :-)

TwitchyTail Sun 16-Jun-13 21:24:05

ooh I do like the look of the stylish waterproofs in the link nextphase. Fashion has indeed moved on since DofE! grin

So it seems nice waterproof coat with hood plus or minus running in umbrella hats is the way to go. Thanks everyone!

JugglingChaotically Sun 16-Jun-13 21:22:45

It's when I discovered hats!!

Agree, there are stylish waterproofs. Staying in is depressing, getting soaked is grim. Embrace the outdoorwear grin

NappyHappy Sun 16-Jun-13 21:01:00

Ozzy, you will look hot in that hat.

NappyHappy Sun 16-Jun-13 21:00:15

Baseball cap! And my North Face coat,keeps me warm and dry. The 2 older boys love splashing in puddles whilst I'm pushing ds3 so I always have wet ankles.

MiamiMe Sun 16-Jun-13 20:58:26

Rain coat. With hood. How can you not love a good hood. Easy hands free coverage. smile.

austenozzy Sun 16-Jun-13 20:58:09

I've just bought a golfing umbrella holder thingy from eBay that you can attach to the pushchair. no idea if it works as I haven't tried it out yet but I hope it works. other than that I have a raincoat, wellies and v stylish rain trousers!

VinegarDrinker Sun 16-Jun-13 20:54:53

Sling! Then umbrella over both of you.

<helpful>

nextphase Sun 16-Jun-13 20:53:12

You get yourself a stylish, waterproof coat rather than a DoE waterproof, get wet, or don't go out.
Pushing pushchairs one handed is a horrible experience, unless you have one with a single handle bar right across the top.

Flossie82 Sun 16-Jun-13 20:52:52

I can't imagine not wearing a raincoat / waterproof coat. Hate umbrellas though!

RoooneyMara Sun 16-Jun-13 20:52:30

Some you can push one handed though.

RoooneyMara Sun 16-Jun-13 20:51:55

If you run you get less wet than if you walk. True fact.

Bestseller Sun 16-Jun-13 20:50:12

Well, I am afraid this was when I discovered hoods and I've never really gone back to umbrellas (DSs 10&12 now!)

There are so many little changes that come with having DC grin

Parietal Sun 16-Jun-13 20:32:34

Sou'wester

3MonthMaid Sun 16-Jun-13 20:30:58

You either get wet or you wear a raincoat! Doesn't have to something to trek the hills in though...

Umbrellas are a no -no really. There was such a thing as a mummy brolly which clipped to the handlebar but I can't see it working really.

I mostly just got wet!

TwitchyTail Sun 16-Jun-13 20:00:09

Well, yes, I get that you put the raincover on the pushchair, but what do you do to stop yourself getting wet?

Hold umbrella and push with one hand?
Raincoat? (please don't make me wear one, I get traumatic Duke of Edinburgh expedition flashbacks)
Some magic solution I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now