Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Argh! The perfect double pushchair doesn't exist!

(52 Posts)
CruCru Mon 13-May-13 13:03:28

Hi all

I am due to have DC2 in September and the lack of perfect double is doing my head in. If I like them to push round then they're a bugger to fold / massive folded, or the newborn doesn't have a carrycot or the seats look tiny. I have bored on discussed a bunch of pushchairs on here and still don't have a solution.

I have been told that the P+T is brilliant, that one kid sits below another isn't a problem but I plain hate pushing them, I find them really heavy.

I don't mind what they cost (within reason) but think I have to pick the perfect one first time as DH will be cross if I fill our entire house with pushchairs.

Sorry, just wanted a rant.

Tiggywunkle Mon 27-May-13 21:57:57

Have you looked at the new iCandy Apple 2 Pear? I have been through a lot of double pushchairs, and TBH if you are considering a P&Ts then take a look at it. Its amazingly light - loads and loads lighter than a P&Ts. Its easy to fold even with both seats still attached - yes its then big folded but you have the option to easily break it down into pieces - but it freestands nicely with both seats or one seat on. There is a newborn nest - the same size as the main carrycot for the baby, and the seats are a good size. Its well worth a look.

Numbthumbs Sun 26-May-13 20:42:41

I have an Icandy pear, its AMAZING. I got it second hand off Ebay and its made my life so much easier. It loads lighter than my maclaren double and being a tandem it fits in shops. Its easy to put together and looks lovely.

My DD was 19mo when DS was born and she loves sitting in the front. I also got the car seat adaptors and now DS can be transferred straight from car to the buggy in my (borrowed) maxi-cosi car seat.

Ruby1080 Sun 26-May-13 20:31:58

I was tempted by the Donkey when I was pregnant with my twins but decided it was just too wide. The shop assistants admitted that it didn't fit through their shop door with the car seats on. It would have been lovely as a "spare" pushchair though for just using to go for long walks, as I liked the fact that it was parent facing. Couldn't have really justified spending about £1300 for a spare pushchair though!

I eventually got a second hand iCandy peach blossom, knowing that I'll only use it for a year at the most as the seat units are quite small - really, you'd have to have your older child always in the front seat. I got it as it was really convenient for using with 2 car seats or 2 carrycots.

When the babies were about 6 months old, I got the BJCM double, which hopefully will last them until they don't need a pram anymore. I love it and it sounds like it's what you're after - light to push, narrow (goes through a standard doorway), you can get a carrycot for the baby to face you, really easy to fold (you literally just pull a strap and it folds in half), and, IMO, it's reasonably priced. Both seats recline independently and the hoods are amazingly huge - they come right down and give the child privacy for when they want to sleep and also protection from wind/sun/rain if you're caught out in a shower. As you can tell, I quite like it grin

CruCru Thu 23-May-13 18:48:35

Oh dear. Well I had a look around John Lewis and tried out a few doubles. I love the Donkey, it is easy to push, flexible etc - but no way is that going to easily fit through our hallway. The Out N About is less bulky but the seats still look quite reclined.

So far the one I like best is the P+T Navigator. Quite embarrassing as I said no way did I want one. Who would have thought it?

Artura Tue 21-May-13 21:58:47

I've just found out that the Micralite twofold is coming out (currently available on preorder). Made the mistake of telling DP how much it costs (around £560 for pram and extra seat) and he's flat refused to consider it. But it looks sooooo clever and perfect for my little ones. So back to looking for 2nd hand P+Ts... sad

PearlyWhites Tue 21-May-13 09:06:36

I have the BJCM double I love it.

MiaowTheCat Tue 21-May-13 09:00:28

Basically between us all if we could come together and design the perfect double buggy... we'd make a fortune (considering what they all get away with charging for ones that do the least-awful jobs of being one).

legallyblond Mon 20-May-13 23:55:20

Ooh - great info Tiggy, thanks. Can you give me a link to the sit on buggy board. Was also considering the Lascal one as its a more intuitive design (why did bugaboo go for three wheels?!) and fits according to the Lascal website....

Tiggywunkle Mon 20-May-13 23:51:29

The Donkey board is a nightmare - there's nowhere for the child to hold onto because the arms are too far apart, the seats / carrycots are too low or too far forwards. They can only lean back on the handle. The board is very very slippy when wet. I recommend the sit on seat for the Bugaboo board as it would resolve these issues on the Donkey.

Ilovemyself Sun 19-May-13 22:43:52

Or you can look on eBay for a donkey ( like mine lol)

Ilovemyself Sun 19-May-13 22:43:04

Try the adventure buggy company. It is heavy but we just got one in triple mode and it is brilliant. It is also from New Zealand and ours was a month from order to delivery, but he'll it was worth the wait

legallyblond Fri 17-May-13 20:43:37

That's helpful... But the pram costs £1,299 i think!!! shock

milk Fri 17-May-13 19:08:53

When you join the "Mummy and baby" club in Mothercare, straight away they give you vouchers, and one of them is for £20 off prams over £200ish I think grin

legallyblond Fri 17-May-13 18:15:26

Cru, i have all your criteria (expecting twins) PLUS:

- buggy board potential for DD who will be 2.11
- ability for both twins to face me until their toddlers (we have this with DD and i and she love love love facing each other and chatting
- tall as i am 5'11" and DH is 6'

Our only answer is bugaboo donkey or strollair duo. Will prob go for donkey just because it will be so much easier if bits go wrong (we have a John Lewis and a Mothercare - both stock it)...

Its a bugger! SURELY someone can do better of all the pushchair manufacturers?!

notso Fri 17-May-13 15:09:38

There is no perfect one! I've tried and failed to find it!
My criteria are pretty similar to your's and I have a BJCM double. I wish I had got the GT version.
I really wanted a Donkey at first and I think it would have been great in the early days but actually I don't think my toddler would be very comfortable in it now. I have used my SIL's for a week and he looked much more squished than he does in the BJCM.

I have a 2.5yo and a 13 month old and I don't find it pulls to one side, the only time that is an issue is when it's just the 2yo and we are on a sloping pavement, which is rare.
The only other issue can be fitting in gaps in shops etc but when I had a tandem in the early days I found the length just as much a problem, so it's literally as broad as it's long!

In an ideal world I would have had a Donkey for the first 6 months, then BJCM GT and probably a Peach blossom 2 for the last toddler-mostly-walking-but-might-need-to-hop-in-for-a-ride phase!

CruCru Fri 17-May-13 14:48:40

Miaow - do you mean, where one kid is sitting on top of the other? Thanks for all your comments, I think I need to go into John Lewis first thing in the morning when it isn't so busy.

pypsik Fri 17-May-13 12:41:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MiaowTheCat Fri 17-May-13 10:11:14

If you find the P+T heavy - don't go for the b-dual then... I ended up with shoulder pain and shooting pains down my arms into my fingers pushing that with a baby, a very heavy 98th centile height one year old and assorted baby crap up hills after a month or so. Swapped to a geriatric P+T Explorer and although that's STILL heavy, the air tyres make it a much easier push up the same stupid hill (still kills me but a lot of that is the fact I was housebound with SPD for months on end so lost ALL my physical fitness... not that I had much to lose!). Granted it's laden up like a pack horse with panniers and assorted crap hanging off it but still!

Would love a Navigator, or even a Sport if that's got the slight seat recline but am skint! About to hit the "outgrown the cocoon" age on mine and no idea how I'm going to get round that particular can of worms (thankfully the little one still does the ball of baby curl up thing so I can eek a bit longer out of it)

Problem with all the tandems though is that they attract little old ladies complaining about the seating arrangements in the P+T style buggies.

SmithyAimz Fri 17-May-13 09:58:27

My friend has the peach2 which she converted into a blossom with the converter kit and that is pretty awesome, you can easily go into shops with it and don't have to worry about the doors being wide enough to go through because its not a wide double buggy. i have the peach jogger but if we have another little one in the next year or so then we'll go for the peach blossom 2. also saw that this has got a which best buy award so its definitely got good reviews. let us know what you decide to go with smile xx

scarlet5tyger Fri 17-May-13 09:04:40

I have a P&T Navigator, and an older P&T Sport. The Navigator is much, much easier to push than the Sport. It also has an optional parent facing carrycot, plus an optional parent facing baby seat. I've just been using it with the (very) lightweight baby seat and a toddler underneath (don't think this is safety approved but worked absolutely fine) and it was as easy to push as my Maclaren single buggy.

Childcare is my job so I've been through a lot of prams, but the Navigator is (so far) easily my favourite. Also, the fact you can easily get the fabrics off to wash is a HUGE bonus! They just zip off.

MiaowTheCat Wed 15-May-13 08:37:28

Sadly for us DD2 HATES any carrier or sling I've tried (and I had a teensy bit of a bad addiction with DD1 so I had a good few) - she goes ballistic at being restricted in that way. Plus I've got a totally wrecked shoulder with no range of movement on it (an accident involving university, wine, unlit concrete steps) so can't even back carry DD1.

SisterMatic Tue 14-May-13 22:09:20

I cracked and bought a carrier. I have oldest DD in pram and baby in the carrier. Works for me. Just thought id throw that out there!

Tiggywunkle Tue 14-May-13 22:05:20

Cru Cru I think your title is an essential realisation for anyone looking for a double pushchair. There is NO perfect double pushchair - every single one has a compromise somewhere. What and how much you compromise on are up for debate.
For me, No 1 of my list, having had a huge number of double pushchairs, is that you can push it fully loaded for a good period of time ie longer than 30 mins. If you can't push it easily, without it hurting, when your children are older - lets say aged 1 and 2 for arguments sake, then it wont do the job. Go and throw at least 30kgs plus a big changing bag into the seats and basket and push a double around a shop! Anyone who says their new shiny tandem with newborn and young toddler in is great needs to wait a year to give an honest review IMHO!

Looking at what you list, the one critical thing you dont list is that you want DS parent facing. Thus, there are lots of side by sides which take a parent facing carrycot, and the seats recline independently and have big seats. Most side by sides have big seats.

Based on your other requirements eg width, I would send you off to look at the TFK Twinner Twist Duo - neat folded as its a trifold; an Easywalker Duo; the Baby Jogger City Mini or GT; a new Nipper V3 with the carrycots; or a Bumbleride Indie Twin (a bit bigger folded). I would add an Air Buggy Mimi in for the fab push, but there's no carrycot - but there is a car seat option.

These are definitely the lightest to push with the smallest folds of a side by side.

MiaowTheCat Tue 14-May-13 09:16:31

I get the sideways pulling a lot with a side-by-side with an 11 month age gap. You can compensate a bit by putting all the crap hanging from the side the lighter baby is on but it's still something to keep in mind.

DD1 is a bloody heavy lump though! (Very tall so she's actually perfectly in proportion but regularly gets mistaken for a 2 year old despite only having just turned 1)

vikinglights Tue 14-May-13 07:38:41

I had/have a TFK twinner twist, used when DD1 was a toddler and DD2 a baby and when DD2 was a toddler and DS was a baby

Side by side - yes
Easy to push - yes
Not too heavy - a relative question but I didn't have any problems with it
Not too wide - 78cm, fits through standard doors and I had it on buses in Norway (constantly) and the UK (where I was probably judged! but it fitted)
Enough room for DS (age 2) to be comfortable - yes
Not too massive when folded - again relative but it was smaller than a lot I looked at as it has a double fold (although I wanted off road capabilities too so they are maybe bigger generally)
Option to have the baby facing me in a carrycot - yes
Seats independently reclining - yes

mine has been well used for years, chucked in airplane holds, dragged on busses, off roading constantly, through snow and sand and its still going strong so definatly a thumbs up for solidity

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now