Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Bugaboo Bee Plus - footmuffs?

(21 Posts)
TwitchyTail Wed 08-May-13 20:53:14

I have just bought a Bugaboo Bee Plus. As an extremely cheap person, this pains me. Buying the Bugaboo footmuff was more than I could bear.

Please tell me there are other footmuffs I can use? Would John Lewis own brand, or a Buggysnuggle, or something else do?

Thanks smile

Ihateparties Wed 08-May-13 21:16:13

<snort> grin

I've never really understood the footmuff thing, I mean I use them, just v cheap ones, I suppose then I mean I've never understood the "it must be a branded and matching footmuff" thing. Far as I'm concerned most footmuffs fit most things depending on your requirements. Some are slippery feckers, that's really annoying. I have heard the bugaboo footmuff on the bee is a pita though, long and draggy.

This time of year though... liner surely? And worry about a footmuff some autumn time...

TwitchyTail Wed 08-May-13 21:40:48

Thanks Ihateparties! That's what I was hoping to hear grin But I thought footmuffs unzip and the bottom bit is a liner - have I got that all wrong??

Ihateparties Wed 08-May-13 22:05:14

Sure, some of 'em do.

Kinda depends precisely what you're looking for I suppose. Seriously I do think the bugaboo one will be less than ideal as a liner unless there's something about the lower end of it that I don't know.. which there could be. Some footmuffs are smaller in the base/liner bit and the zip off bit forms the whole foot area, front and back as well as the top, whereas with others the liner bit is full length.

I'm not going to be much use because I like sleeping bag style ones like this or bucket seat shaped ones like this where the liner bit doesn't really work as a liner.

I'm sure someone who actually owns a bee will be along in a minute with something more um.. useful!

RubyrooUK Wed 08-May-13 22:13:39

I think you have to get a genuine Bugaboo one or one specifically designed for the Bee (not by Bugaboo) because the straps don't work otherwise. At least nothing else fits my one apart from the pesky branded footmuff and one I got off
eBay that was designed to fit the Bee. Maybe get one from eBay? Don't pay full price if you can avoid it as they seem to cost the same as a mortgage in West London.

And yes they do unzip to be liners - at least the baby ones do.....

Ihateparties Wed 08-May-13 23:18:57

If you need the straps to line up precisely with the holes yes, bugaboo one or custom made for the bee.. the straps will still go through the slits on other footmuffs, the fit will be less precise but not impossible. I know strap positioning is different on different pushchairs a 5 point harness is a 5 point harness, in a lot of cases there will be an approximately appropriate slot for each point.

Pick your poison I guess, pristine fit or cost.

Naaah, buggysnuggle is fine. <Bee owner>

Lilykin Thu 09-May-13 00:22:49

Twitchy tail - like you I was debating and looking at other cheaper options for foot muffs when I bought my bee. However in the end I decided to get the bugaboo bee footmuff If I remember correctly, it was a pain to put on you have to undo hood and parent facing the footmuff gets in the way. Also front facing if you want to use it as a liner, I tuck extra under shopping basket. Just thought I'd let you know of problems so that you can avoid these problems in a non bugaboo branded footmuff.

TwitchyTail Thu 09-May-13 02:25:34

Thanks very much everyone! smile I don't need perfectly lined up, I can handle a bit of jiggery pokery. Actually if the Bugaboo footmuff was perfect I'd probably fork out for it through gritted teeth , but I resent paying all that ( grin at West London mortgage) when I've heard there are problems with it being too long for Bee etc. I might go back to John Lewis and see if they'll let me put one on a model properly to see what it's like.

But I've just come across sheepskin footmuffs! aargh! Now I want one, completely negating all potential savings...

My DH has taken to sarcastically calling me Pram Hun (it was a mistake to introduce him to mn).

rootypig Thu 09-May-13 02:31:13

not an answer to your footmuff question helpful much but we have the John Lewis lambskin liner for summer, it's a great fit for the Bee (though you'll need to cut a couple of holes in better places for the straps, easy peasy with a kitchen knife)

TwitchyTail Thu 09-May-13 02:46:45

Thanks rootypig! (and I'm glad I'm not the only one up at this time wink )

RubyrooUK Thu 09-May-13 06:23:47

See, I never thought of chopping holes in another muff (wow that sounds dodgy....). Definitely sounds like a good option.

TwitchyTail Thu 09-May-13 07:06:23

grin Rubyroo. I snigger a bit, inside, every time I write the word muff.

YoniMontana Thu 09-May-13 07:10:28

I bought a Kaiser footmuff from amazon which is very warm and is a similar shape to the bugaboo one. It was perfect for the winter we've had up here in Scotland!
This one but there are other colours

YoniMontana Thu 09-May-13 07:16:52

It doesn't unzip for a liner but the buggy snuggle does and it fits well.

TwitchyTail Thu 09-May-13 21:34:58

Ooh thanks for that tip YoniMontana, they look good.

YoniMontana Fri 10-May-13 00:17:51

You're welcome smile

TwitchyTail Sat 18-May-13 13:53:20

Just to update this, in case anyone finds themselves saddled with the same first world problem grin The John Lewis universal footmuff is a great fit, with one extra slit cut in the crotch area of the muff <snigger> <sorry> - very simple to do. It's easy to fold even parent facing and doesn't drop down too low.

I went for the sheepskin footmuff, so didn't actually save anything hmm , but considering I got the best part of a dead sheep for my money and it looks and feels utterly glorious, I reckon it's worth it! Thanks to everyone who pitched in.

RubyrooUK Sat 18-May-13 19:13:13

Muff! <snigger>

Good reporting back Twitchy. I'm off to look at that one next time I'm in JL just in case little DS2 likes the pushchair better than his elder brother (for whom I should have saved the money on a Bugaboo and simply hung a plastic bag between two sticks with wheels for the two occasions he ever used it).

TwitchyTail Sun 19-May-13 08:29:28

grin Rubyroo. Looking at the JL sheepskin is dangerous though - it's so beautifully soft and snuggly you will end up buying it. I've already had so many comments on how lovely and comfortable-looking it is (I live in the wilds of the North where no one knows or cares about Bugaboo, but everyone can recognise a sheep).

Berlioz Sat 25-Jan-14 17:24:06

Hi. Did you cut a new hole in your sheepskin muff? I have a kaiser one on my bugaboo and the strap holes aren't in the right place and it slips and makes the straps too short. Really annoying.
Did the fabric fray? Or tear? Am about to take my seeing scissors to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now