Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

icandy Cherry, what's your experience?

(31 Posts)
Teapig Fri 14-Dec-12 23:44:52

Hi, I'm a first timer due in April and have found a second hand icandy cherry for £250. Does this like a reasonable price for the whole travel system? It's been used but looks to be in good condition.

Also, what's your experience of the icandy cherry? Really interested in any pros and cons.

Thanks!

PeazlyPops Thu 20-Dec-12 11:23:42

I love the icandy cherry, but the basket is difficult to access due to it being so deep, and the two piece fold is a faff.

Milbak Wed 19-Dec-12 19:36:50

I can see that peeps have had different experiences, i have a cherry and have had it for a year and a half, its the best thing I have ever bought, and I have to say that I have never had any problems with icandy as a brand. Also I dont mean to across rude but if you have bought second hand or your things are our of warranty do you think that the manufacturer is going to just give out things easily and not have a process for repairs, charges etc? Because it is second hand they wont know where its been and whats happened to it so there of course will be charges. I bought a cam second hand and had terrible trouble trying to get bits but It was my choice to go second hand and knew what I had to do. I have to admit it was the worse thing I did and didnt get along with the cam at all. So my hubby said we would save and buy the icandy cherry. smile!!! I have enjoyed every journey with my cherry the only thing I would say is that it is a two part fold, but after doing it a few times you wont notice your doing it any more. Hope you enjoy whatever pram you get xx

Teapig Tue 18-Dec-12 17:54:30

Thanks for all the advice ladies. After a lot of thought and a lot of pram testing I'm going with the Oyster. I realised I wanted something that could cope with a bit more varied terrain than perhaps the icandy cherry is built for.

I've found a Baby Style Oyster online for £224 for the chassis, seat unit, shopping basket and raincover. My sister is giving us the carry cot and car seat so all we need to get is a new mattress and a footmuff when baby is bigger. Job done!

PrettyVacant1 Tue 18-Dec-12 11:07:58

Love my Cherry.
Used everyday walking, bumping it on and off public transport for the past 16 months without so much of a squeak.
I have gone up and down the country by train 6 times with it laden with bags.
Huge basket underneath.
DD still fits comfortably in seat and is snuggly and warm with the footmuff.
The chasiss folds quite flat and is freestanding so is not in the way in the hall.
The seat unit needs to be removed first though which is not always ideal.

freezingmytitsoff Tue 18-Dec-12 10:58:11

i think they were going to come up with something about me damaging it.
i told the retailer to tell them i would go to all the local papers and put it all over the internet if they refused to fix it!
i think they are a small company and don't have the resourses to repair as many prams as they are selling. and as they are such bad qaulity they must get a lot sent back.
so saying that they will only fix them under warranty for the origignal purchaser is just another way of getting out of it.

Brugmansia Tue 18-Dec-12 10:50:03

I wonder whether poor after sales is connected to their general problems with supply. If they're having difficulty keeping up with demand I would guess they also don't have capacity to deal with repairs etc properly. It sounds like the whole "testing" thing could be a stalling tactic.

freezingmytitsoff Tue 18-Dec-12 09:45:53

yes thats right, if it's new in theory they will help with repairs. but icandy make it very hard for the retailer.
they told the shop that i took my back to that they would have to have it to do tests on to 'make sure it hadn't been hit by a bus'! they wouldn't even discuss fixing it until they had done there 'tests'
as far as i know baby jogger have a very good reputation for honouring there garauntee.
i have also heard that mamas and papas are really bad.

Ihateparties Mon 17-Dec-12 23:11:23

They will if you bought new, not if you bought used.. or so I thought?

Tiggywunkle Mon 17-Dec-12 23:01:29

To be fair, a good number of pushchair manufacturers wont deal with you unless you are the original purchasers. Bugaboo are really tough! At least with good brand pushchairs like iCandy, a retailer should be able to organise repairs or parts or servicing for you.

Ihateparties Mon 17-Dec-12 21:15:01

I was the original purchaser and they wouldn't talk to me directly either, they just ignored emails etc. Because some of the models have had a habit of breaking I'm not sure it's worth the risk, particularly if you would struggle to replace it worst case scenario. The Cherry is a great pushchair when it works (I had forgotten how great the basket is actually) it is just a bit of a risk. In some respects all used pushchairs carry similar risks though, they just vary in how possible/impossible, easy/difficult they are to repair, get parts for etc. iCandy have a rep for being awkward on this, as do mamas and papas incidentally.

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 20:50:19

yes icandy won't honour there warranty to anyone who wasn't the original purchaser of the pram. and i don't think they will even talk to you.
there are a shameful company and i would avoid at all costs!

InvaderZim Mon 17-Dec-12 19:57:43

I bought my Cherry 2 years ago used for £150 (including carrycot) in immaculate condition - unusual and very lucky at that price I should think. I have not had a single problem with it, it's light and brilliant. Do not ever think of folding it for the bus though unless you have another person to hold your baby. The bus driver held DD for me once. grin

DD likes to ride in it. I like the parent facing option. Pushchair seat raincover has not held up - tearing like mad.

Holds a LOT of shopping - I almost never drive so this has been the number 1 most awesome factor of the Cherry for me. smile

Ihateparties Mon 17-Dec-12 19:47:15

my I candy broke and they don't want to deal direct with customers you're supposed to go through your retailer, we had moved half way across the country, in the end we fixed it ourselves. they are very odd about giving out spare parts to someone who isn't the registered owner, almost impossible I have heard. In your situation I'm not sure what I would do t b h. If it weren't for the parent facing seats I would probably suggest spending your money on a baby jogger city mini new then buying a used carrycot. I suspect you are wanting parent facing though, which always costs more.

Teapig Mon 17-Dec-12 18:25:40

Thanks all, it's great to hear everyone's experiences.

The icandy sounds like the lighter option but after hearing the feedback I am a bit worried about how long a second hand one would last us. Good point about the availability of parts ihateparties, that's not something I'd thought about.

I guess we could look at others but we have first refusal on these and the price is very attractive, just over £200 for either option and with money we have been given from family we'd only need to pay half of that which would be a huge help as money is tight. Of course first priority is to find something that's great for baby and not to waste money on a preloved pram only to find we have to buy another soon afterwards.

Teapig Mon 17-Dec-12 18:24:33

Thanks all, it's great to hear everyone's experiences.

The icandy sounds like the lighter option but after hearing the feedback I am a bit worried about how long a second hand one would last us. Good point about the availability of parts ihateparties, that's not something I'd thought about.

I guess we could look at others but we have first refusal on these and the price is very attractive, just over £200 for either option and with money we have been given from family we'd only need to pay half of that which would be a huge help as money is tight. Of course first priority is to find something that's great for baby and not to waste money on a preloved pram only to find we have to buy another soon afterwards.

Ihateparties Mon 17-Dec-12 17:38:58

I don't think the cam is heavy either but maybe it is compared to the cherry... I'm still not quite comfortable with a used icandy, if it broke you would have lost all the money whereas with a bug it's much easier to get parts if you need and less likely to need them. the fold is a pain. have you got any more options in mind?

Tiggywunkle Mon 17-Dec-12 17:23:37

The Cam is solid???! Try something like a Baby Jogger, Uppababy, Mountain Buggy or an iCandy Peach and then come back and tell me the Cam is solid!!!
Don't get me wrong, I have had two Cam's and loved them both, but they definitely aren't solid!

Cheesyslice Mon 17-Dec-12 17:02:48

Yep the cam is heavy but it's bloody solid too. I love ours.

freezingmytitsoff Mon 17-Dec-12 09:31:08

i ended up with a baby jogger city mini, and its fab! the build qaulity next to the icandy is amazing.
the frame come with a lifetime garauntee and you can buy a new set of fabrics for 80 of baby jogger.i can't see how it would ever break, its completly solid. the seat is lovely and big, lays flat so you wouldn't need the carrycot.
the icandy is just plastic with a thin layer of metal and the frame is hollow and thin.
and the shop i bought the icandy from said they are well known for not honouring there warranty and a lot of retailers won't stock them because of this. apparently they just say that any faults are 'damage due to misuse' or 'normal wear and tear that is not covered under warranty'
of course the shop only told me that when i brought the broken one back!

Welovecouscous Sun 16-Dec-12 22:34:59

Cam is heavy - one definite downside but very sturdy.

helebear Sun 16-Dec-12 22:27:09

I love my cherry. Live in London & in basement flat & found it very lightweight for getting up & down steps & on buses etc. I used it with carry cot for 1st 10 weeks, then buggy bit & the carseat occasionally too. Now that dd is 21 months I tend to use maclaren more as its really lightweight & folds up smaller so easier to store at childminders etc but I still use cherry for shopping as you can really load up the shopping basket & handle bar with a buggy clip & it's still easy to push & steer!
Pros- can use with carseat, travel cot & buggy
Lightweight (for a travel system) & easy to collapse once you have the knack
Easy to steer one handed

Cons- does take up a lot of room in car boot & house when not in use, but all travel systems do.

I'm looking forwards to using mine more again when dc2 arrives in spring.

Welovecouscous Sun 16-Dec-12 22:15:39

We had bugaboo cam -

Pluses were:

Lovely carrycot
Good height adjustable push bar - great for one handed pushing
Okay ish storage space underneath
Turns well
Good for taller/bigger babies like ours as v spacious

Downsides:

Won't fold for bus
Quite big

If I was having a baby and didn't think it would be tall/big I would go for bugaboo bee, but I did like my cam.

Welovecouscous Sun 16-Dec-12 22:09:10

I had my heart set on this but couldn't get it to fold down easily in the shop. DH put his foot down smile

Teapig Sun 16-Dec-12 22:07:33

Hi cheesy, that's interesting. I've just found a second hand bugaboo cameleon for £210 for the whole travel system, looks to be in good condition, so now need to choose between the icandy and the bugaboo.

Cheesyslice Sun 16-Dec-12 21:11:31

Personally I didn't get on with the Cherry. I found it flimsy for the money. Older models have a known problem with the rear axle. We got utterly fed up with ours, even after repair by iCandy, and bought a second hand Bugaboo off eBay. Never looked back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now