how much do removals companies cost?

(38 Posts)
PDR Tue 02-Mar-10 08:59:22

We are moving from a large 3 bed to a ok sized 4 bed aprox 15 miles away.

We have an average amount of furniture but not much clutter.

I am thinking we will go with the packing service as I have a DS of 21 months and it will be weeks of hell for me to do it myself.

We are in rural Devon if that makes a difference.

What should I expect?

Aliya845 Tue 27-May-14 19:55:09

Hi Everyone, i would like to share my personal experience with removal firms.The day one we find out our moving date i go on removal price comparison site www.getabestmover.co.uk and submit all our details for moving same day few removal firms called me ask me a convenient time to visit property finally i had we prices from £300 to £1500 decided to choose a cheap company Called Smart MOVE they turn with very small van to move my 3bed house were very rude and broke our dinning table and other small damages and also left the job in middle and decided to move off i called the police but that didn't help because of terms and condition so i would say everyone don't go for cheap removal company.

Dankay78 Sun 27-Apr-14 19:41:29

The fastest way to find out the costs of removal companies in the UK is to go to houseconveyancing.org/removal-company-quotes/ You will then get 6 removals quotes from moving firms in your local area.

specialsubject Sun 16-Mar-14 10:12:38

wow, this is bringing out the spammers..

NEVER use anyone with just a mobile number.

Jane090469 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:43:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Haty786 Thu 06-Feb-14 07:40:07

PRL67 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:53:59

Hi JuJubean what company did you use for your removal as we are in Hampshire. Thanks.

cafesociety Fri 27-Dec-13 15:12:30

For my last move [and other moves before] I use a reputable, insured 'Man with a Van'! Do my own packing, leaving just bedding/kettle/tea/milk/TV/laptop to go in my car the morning of the move....a takeaway the night before.

3 bed bungalow to 3 bed bungalow [no wardrobes, no cooker] locally in 2011...2 journeys....£75!

He was careful with furniture, covering it all up, packing it all well. No damages and friendly cooperative service. Job done.

aarenace Fri 27-Dec-13 10:02:10

I think you don’t need a visit from any company for removal quotes. Pack your stuff by yourself and get quotes from the quote form of any company online by putting the info, like location, distance, bed room’s etc.
Try it; www.theremoval.com/newprocess0.php

xXSharonXx Sun 17-Nov-13 11:50:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jennychatwin1954 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:05:07

I live in East Lothian, Scotland and will be moving from a four bed to five bed in the next two months or so. The distance we're moving is 20 miles. Any recommendations for a removal firm? Any idea of costs?

Thanks

Jen

twopints Tue 07-May-13 11:02:02

A quick question about getting removals quotes through the websites mentioned above - our house isn't even on the market yet, but we want to get an idea of moving costs so we can put together a budget and work out how much we can spend on our new house. We don't really want to be hassled by the removals firms, so can you just get a no-obligation quote? (I don't really want to give my phone number/email to any firms just yet).

kanecarter Thu 11-Apr-13 08:38:56

As above mentioned about reallymoving obtain instant quotes from different local companies.
I have also experience about www.removalshub.co.uk , They obtain 6 removals quotes in less than a minute. We are moving a 3 bed house 190 miles and it's going to cost £1,200+VAT including the packing.

aarenace Fri 08-Mar-13 07:56:52

Moving is just a symbol that you have to pay a lot for services. Anyway , if you consider it from an alternate perspective , the relocation with an experienced relocating organization is an efficient selection as you could possibly get services that you desire when you need them ; services that offered by a professional mover will be superior as well as efficient . Therefore while relocating, it is highly recommended to hire a moving company. Although the cost related issues are logical. So we’ve decided to discuss 10 great ways to lessen moving cost.

PurpleCrazyHorse Sat 29-Dec-12 23:50:50

Sorry.... old thread!

PurpleCrazyHorse Sat 29-Dec-12 23:50:27

5 years ago, we paid about £1000 for packing and removal from West London to South Wales. They literally packed everything they're allowed to transport (they don't move paint cans and things like that). We used our car for important things I didn't want damaged or lost.

I found it really useful to pack the bathroom myself (moving out anything to go in the van) and then use that room as the storage room for everything not going in the removal van. Just stuck a note on the door, saying don't pack! It meant I could leave the kettle in there, a couple of mugs, hoover, cleaning things, emergency biscuits and a box of DIY supplies including light bulbs etc that we wanted in our car and not in the removal van (as we were driving straight to the new house and the van was stopping overnight). Worked really well.

We kept all the boxes too as they're brilliant for storing stuff in the attic!

SAMBAUKER Tue 25-Dec-12 21:42:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

onedev Tue 25-Dec-12 21:28:22

We paid £1600 for full packing service for a reasonably sized 3-bed, moving 2 miles. Company were fab & made it so easy.

SAMBAUKER Tue 25-Dec-12 21:23:29

SAMBAUKER Tue 25-Dec-12 19:44:20

thehouseremovalscompany Tue 01-May-12 17:45:25

PDR Mon 08-Mar-10 11:39:37

If anyone else is interested, first quote is in and its
£450+ VAT for the removals
and an extra
£280 + VAT for the full packing service

chicaguapa Fri 05-Mar-10 20:27:42

The t&c's on ours says we have to take jewellery and food from fridge/ freezer. They literally pack everything else, including elastic bands and paperclips on the floor! grin We are going to pack a couple of boxes beforehand of stuff we want to open first when we move in, like bedding, kettle etc as we won't know what box the removal company has packed it all in.

PDR Tue 02-Mar-10 22:06:23

Ok so packing seems to be essential. If it's only a couple of hundred quid more then I guess it's worth it as I'd have to put DS into nursery if I packed myself anyway as he'd be all over the place.

Question do they literally pack everything like knives and forks from drawers or do I need to sort everything out in advance? Sorry if that sounds thick!

I am thinking it's going to be around the £750 mark if Hampshire is £1k (we're in North Devon).

taffetacat Tue 02-Mar-10 21:25:48

Had house refurb last year so moved in and out. 3 bed to 3 bed to 4 bed ( made it bigger...).

Packed it all ourselves and moved all the small stuff ourselves, so furniture only £400. Distance about 2 miles.

Got 3 quotes, smallest company the cheapest. Cash in hand. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now