Which 2 out of these 3 would you choose: utility room, extra bedroom, extra bathroom?

(27 Posts)
fuckwittery Thu 10-Oct-13 17:30:54

We are extending our 2 bed bungalow. We will def be creating one extra bedroom and a large kitchen diner open plan through to lounge. However, we could use the rest of the space as follows, basically needing to choose which one out of the three above we DONT have, utility, 4th bed, or extra loo (ensuite shower room with the 2nd option, loo only with 1st option)

Layout 1: 4 beds (4 reasonable size doubles, none ensuite), family bathroom, separate loo/handwash (NO utility)

Layout 2: 3 beds (2 reasonable size doubles, one master bedroom with ensuite), large family bathroom, utility room (losing 4th bed)

Layout 3: 4 beds, (4 reasonable size doubles, none ensuite), family bathroom, utility room. (No separate loo)

EastwickWitch Thu 10-Oct-13 17:43:16

Depends how many DC you have.
3 DC - layout 3
2 DC - layout 2

I love a utility.

kitsmummy Thu 10-Oct-13 18:18:23

Layout 3 definitely

SkodaLabia Thu 10-Oct-13 18:21:02

If you are doing an open kitchen/diner open to the lounge I'd think about the utility room option. Our house is open plan and we're rebuilding a wall so that we can have the washer and the TV on at the same time. grin

Dillydollydaydream Thu 10-Oct-13 18:23:03

I have 4 dc so torn between separate loo and a utility. Think layout 3 wins as this family produces so much laundry.

PandaG Thu 10-Oct-13 18:25:33

would always want a second loo, and depending on number of children a second shower is really useful.

Can you not have a combined futility/loo/shower (ie stacked washer dryer behind a wall) and a 4th bedroom that could also be a study/snug for when your teens don't want to be in the family room with you?

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Thu 10-Oct-13 18:25:34

3. Definitely.

cathpip Thu 10-Oct-13 18:33:18

I would have layout 2, I have large utility room envy, mine is so small and they are a great dumping ground for washing/coats/footwear/wet dogs. I just think with 4 bedrooms you would want more than 1 bathroom.

Artandco Thu 10-Oct-13 18:38:06

Layout 2: 3 bedrooms suit most average families, utility great as keeps washing in one place, and extra loo from having en suite means its Perfect for saving time with both in use for showers / teeth during morning rush or with guests ( also childrens grubby guests can use family bathroom and at least ensuite can contain all nice perfumes/ grubby fingerprint free)

Artandco Thu 10-Oct-13 18:39:00

Agree with above- if you really need 4 bedrooms you would want more than one bathroom. So still think layout 2 best

fuckwittery Thu 10-Oct-13 19:32:34

Oh its really tricky! We've got 3 DC (well almost 3, DC3 due in a couple of weeks), will be 3 girls but don't think this is our forever house mainly because we would have to compromise on one of the things above and also DH is desperate to move up north. For our family, I'd probably prefer more bedrooms, layout 3 and forego the ensuite.

But.... Assuming we'll be here maybe 2-3 years tops before pressure from DH wins out...... we could manage with 3 beds. Would love a lovely utility room. But resale market, unlikely to be to a family with as many children as us, probably more a 2 kid family, or professional couple (v near commuter station) wanting kids in future, or retired couple (bungalow in quiet street close to naice town centre). Do you think that sort of market would prefer layout 2? But they wouldnt really NEED family bathroom plus ensuite nor have copious amounts of washing which makes me think maybe layout 1 best.

We do have option of putting double doors between lounge and kitchen /diner, so could shut off the noise of washing machine.

DoNotRideInOnAWhiteHorse Thu 10-Oct-13 19:33:52

layout 2, just a normal sized bathroom and squeeze in a separate wc.

DoNotRideInOnAWhiteHorse Thu 10-Oct-13 19:39:26

Someone buying a bungalow may not be old, there may be someone with a disability in the family. If you are having an ensuite or family bathroom downstairs you would do well to make it a walk in shower as you are opening up the market. People with disabilities would appreciate a utility as they may have trouble going outside. When doing your kitchen make sure you get the oven to not be low down too, as a higher oven would appeal to someone old or with mobility issues.

cavell Thu 10-Oct-13 19:46:12

I think Layout2. If you have 4 bedrooms, I think most people will be looking for 2 bathrooms. And a utility is particularly useful if you have a large open-plan living/kitchen area.

fuckwittery Thu 10-Oct-13 20:07:15

V good idea with the walk in shower for a disabled person. Will definitely go with that.
Ok, most votes for layout 2, meant to say in last post thanks v much! V useful, we keep going round in circles!

BellaI Thu 10-Oct-13 21:53:09

Could you put a loo in utility if short of space to separate? I've def seen a few like that. I would always want more bedrooms. An ensuite shower can fit in a fairly small corner of a room!

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Thu 10-Oct-13 21:56:29

I would go for the utility room if you are having the kitchen open plan to the lounge because you don't want to be sitting relaxing and listening to the dishwasher. However, generally I'd prefer to have 4 bedrooms and so would go for that if it wasn't for the open plan kitchen and lounge.

You have to have a utility room, that is what I would chose over another bedroom or loo any day

StopDoingThat Thu 10-Oct-13 22:07:11

You can dry/iron/store laundry in a spare bedroom. You can't sleep in a utility room.

But with 4 beds I'd say you def need at least 1 real bathroom and 1 shower room whether its en suite or not).

Mandy21 Thu 10-Oct-13 23:16:30

Utility EVERY time. Our house would be an even bigger mess without it.

I would say 3 beds and and extra bathroom / ensuite if its not a forever house, but our children are 8, 8 and 4, the 8yr olds currently share and I am desperate to extend so they can each have a separate room. So, 3 beds + loo if you're only staying for a couple of yrs, 4 beds if its longer than that!

Good luck!

Layout 3, without a shadow of a doubt.

Twooter Thu 10-Oct-13 23:24:38

2 short term, no 1 if staying long term.

I'd ask a local estate agent or two.

LazyMonkeyButler Thu 10-Oct-13 23:37:24

Option 3. I can live with only one bathroom but would love a utility.

In this area, the fourth bedroom would be more valuable when it comes to resale value. If you are thinking of moving at some point the definitely ask an estate agent for an opinion. You may aswell do whatever will increase the value of your home the most as it is unlikely to be your "forever home".

JammieCodger Fri 11-Oct-13 10:42:55

Layout 2. I hate en suites, but four bedrooms need more than one bathroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now