Help please - What style is your home? (Interior)

(32 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Fri 04-Oct-13 07:15:35

Is it possible to have different styles in different rooms or areas do you think?

I've just moved and want to start buying stuff but don't know where to start!

Thanks <<clueless>>

SoupDragon Fri 04-Oct-13 07:22:55

Buy stuff you like smile

If you aren't sure, buy cheap from Ikea until you see what you definitely want and/or can afford it. Personally, I think style develops with time - unless you want an immediate "show home" look.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 04-Oct-13 07:24:52

If you like it, then it works. Don't worry about theming your home too much.

BrownSauceSandwich Fri 04-Oct-13 08:11:30

Totally agree with soupdragon. It takes time to work out where your personal tastes and the nature of your house are going to take you. And unless you're completely loaded you can't buy the final version of everything right at the start. Get what cast offs you can from friends/family/ freecycle, then fill in the gaps from eBay and ikea. Then you can replace them piece by piece when you can afford it and as inspiration hits.

MrsZimt Fri 04-Oct-13 08:12:36

link

I looked here for hours when commuting to work, trying to figure out what I would like.
A year after we moved into our long term house it still looks very bare in parts.
Take your time, there is no rush. Get a feel for the place first.

echt Fri 04-Oct-13 08:20:49

What's been said. Don't be afraid to buy second-hand, often for its own sake, there's some great stuff out there, but can also be good cheap stand-by until you find the real thing.

Definitely what you like. My home hasn't changed in essential taste over the years, i.e.lots of books in bookcases, squashy sofas, lots of second-hand/handed down furniture. No style. Over the years where we've lashed out has been buying paintings and sculptures. Again though, what we like.

rubyrubyruby Fri 04-Oct-13 08:34:22

Thanks for replies.

I do have furniture and stuff (had my own home for 30 years). I'm trying to replace with things I love and fit in with my new home - I only moved in 6 weeks ago.

All the magazines and brochures confuse me as they like to put things into a certain 'style'.

I am restricted slightly by the type of house but there is a single story part that's different. I would like this to have a different style and reading the comments I'm assuming this is ok.

GrendelsMum Fri 04-Oct-13 10:33:57

Yes, buy what you LIKE. Buy second-hand, buy new, get stuff from friends and family - it doesn't matter, but surround yourself with things you like.

spotty26 Fri 04-Oct-13 11:11:36

Agree with others, mix it up. I find Pinterest better than mags now. I type in things I am after in the search box and take it from there. I identify what I want then forage in charity shops and in TK Maxx for cheaper versions!

SoupDragon Fri 04-Oct-13 12:03:32

I don't think there is anything wrong with mixing up styles at all.

I've owned my own home for 20 years now and I'm only just at the point where I'm choosing things simply because I like them rather than because they are practical and I need a coffee table, for example. My style is best described as eclectic I think!

SoupDragon Fri 04-Oct-13 12:04:38

Lots of my furniture now comes from a house clearance warehouse nearby. My house is slowly emerging from years of Ikea sameness into individuality.

funnyossity Fri 04-Oct-13 12:19:26

I like the idea of using the same neutral paint colours through the different rooms. It's simpler and gives a subtle harmonious feel.
Then again it's really to stop me ever having to choose new colours again!

whosshe Fri 04-Oct-13 12:26:27

I think when designing your own interiors it's good to find your own style and then work that style into your whole home, but with different twists in each room. By finding your own style and applying it to all your interiors you can ensure that overall your house has a coherent feel from room to room, but you can also give each room its own identity, without ending up with each room having a 'theme'.

It's good to steer clear of just trying to copy someone else's style, or worse than that, just buying a whole look from somewhere like Next, as its just going to be too matchy-matchy.

You can start by using something like pinterest and start pinning images you like, and you will then start to notice your style emerging (hopefully!). Or if you have lots of interiors mags then start cutting them up into a mood board. It might be that the sort of images you like can then be categorized into different sorts of areas, and these can be your room styles, but overall they should feel similar.

I think what I'm trying to say it its totally fine to have your rooms different styles, just don't fall into having one room 'coastal' and another 'scandi', when really you should be buying things that you really like and want to live with, rather than following a trend.

In our home we have a slightly mid century modern kitchen, with an older style lounge, and our bathrooms are all different, but overall the style works together because we like bold colour and pattern.

stealth boast warning - My house is in last months Ideal Home if you want to take a peek at how you can mix it all up

IAmOwedMoney Fri 04-Oct-13 14:49:12

Do you have a link to the article?

whosshe Fri 04-Oct-13 16:10:13

naaa its not online yet i dont think

rubyrubyruby Fri 04-Oct-13 21:41:31

Thank you all so much.

I went to some individual furniture shops today for inspiration. It doesn't help that I have 1 day off a week so browsing time is limited.

I have moved to a totally different style of house. I need to cull the ikea that worked in my previous home but doesn't really work here. I came home with some ideas and this thread has really helped too.

smile

rubyrubyruby Fri 04-Oct-13 21:43:45

..... and I will check out last months ideal home thanks

MummytoMog Fri 04-Oct-13 21:51:30

About to go and look at last months Ideal Home, but just before I do, we've got a sort of modern Arts and Crafts/Scandi thing going on. Basically ponced up Ikea. So we mix modern prints and colours in with the odd antique bit of furniture, but our kitchen will be high gloss and very modern, even though we have wainscoting in the hallway and a sort of Bailley Scott thing going on in the rest of the house. DD's room is different again and DS has a fifties space theme going on (Sputnik wallpaper and some cute atomic prints).

Have the BEST theme planned for my new downstairs loo - got a small bonus at work and have blown it in the London Transport Museum shop. Mid-century combined with transport chic and the only proper piece of art I own is going in the lav. That's how classy I am.

I also buy scads of second hand stuff on eBay and LoBay is a total godsend. Got a beautiful solid oak, extending table with barley twist legs for £30. Score.

MummytoMog Fri 04-Oct-13 21:52:24

Baillie Scott. Ahem.

MrsZimt Sat 05-Oct-13 08:55:42

mummytomog, that's really classy grin

and I have a London (Transport) theme planned for the downstairs loo too. Bought a sink online last year when massively reduced (Roca London). Sadly money is really tight (no job through choice) so we'll have to live with the grotty loo for a while because it's a bigger job with new tiles and pipes etc. But looking forward to it (and every now and then getting my sink out to have a look and dream).

Have fun with your new home ruby!

SoupDragon Sat 05-Oct-13 09:17:20

I need to cull the ikea that worked in my previous home but doesn't really work here

Don't feel you have to rush this though. IMO it's worth taking your time to get pieces you really love.

GretaGroovy Sat 05-Oct-13 09:29:38

We are culling the Ikea as well (lots bought in the 90s when we first got our own home) but I won't get rid of everything: over the years they have done a few beautifully designed bits of furniture, good fabrics, and in particular vases and tableware. I have a lot of time for Ikea, just not all of it.

I've never had the luxury of defining my own style because we've always been quite skint and also borrowed things from family. But I would say: if you can't find the right thing, wait until you can.

Find your local antique/clearance/junk furniture place and visit at least once a month.

And find an upholsterer: junk shop chairs can be ready in a week.

Similarly, get used to the idea of sanding, stripping, waxing etc, because a crappy bit of furniture can be done up in a weekend.

And keep furnishings simple, then find just one or two amazing bits of poster art and splash out on framing them. That defines the style of your home as much as the cushions.

MummytoMog Sat 05-Oct-13 10:01:30

I think the smallest room can cope with an extravagent theme smile also, it means my guests will have plenty of time to appreciate my nice art...

I wouldn't theme my entire living room though, at the moment I've picked out the yellow and grey in our wallpaper and the colours work around that, but I don't have matching cushions to the wallpaper or anything.

MrsZimt Sat 05-Oct-13 10:23:41

YY to charity second hand furniture shops.
Bought a dresser for th e dining room two years ago for very little money, sanded and repainted it and put different knobs and handles on and have a unique piece of furniture now who everyone comments on.

I also converted our 20 year old yellowing pine cupboard into a funky tv cupboard with white paint and decopatch (I know, sounds naff but it really looks good).

Agree to take your time too. You'll find things you like only if you take your time.
Our stuff doesn't match, bit doesn't clash either.
We still have a lot of Ikea, I can't see us ever throwing our 2 big white Ektorps out, they are fab.

echt Sat 05-Oct-13 11:56:58

Take a year to see the house through its lights and seasons.

We made the colossal mistake of quickly painting part of a wholly- timbered room with white paint to lighten it. Bleurgh. We're now stripping it back to the original cedar. The brown we thought dull now glows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now