Please help me pick between these two flats...

(32 Posts)
HairyPorter Fri 13-Sep-13 16:19:01

Ooh I've just seen two lovely flats today! Flat 1 is very modern, and needs nothing doing to it, smaller flat (1300sq ft) and a small garden but 10 minute walk to school with nice-ish shops surrounding. It's a nicer part of town. Has 1 big room and 2 smaller rooms which works well when kids outgrow sharing but they will be cramped till then. It's share of freehold.

Flat 2 doesn't need loads of work doing, just a few bits, but was last refurbished about 15 years ago. It's still in decent condition. Has an amazingly mahoozive garden with an orchard and has lots more character than flat 1. But 25 minute walk to school (slightly less on public transport) and is in a very nice street in a not so nice part of town. Also the garden back onto train tracks, and you can hear the trains from the living room and kids room, but not master room. Has 2 big rooms and 1 small room so may be an issue when kids outgrow sharing... And it's leasehold (100y left)

I fell in love with flat 2 because of its character but wonder if the distance from school and train noise will be issues? And of course divvying up rooms will be tough as kids get older..

mummaemma Sat 14-Sep-13 19:14:17

so are you going to put an offer in. smile

Thats good! I wouldn't mind if the trains were barely audible here.

WarmfeetThicksocks Sat 14-Sep-13 19:45:17

Train noise isn't bad because its steady. (Gets louder, is loud, gets quieter). It's not like car noise, where you might also have revving engines, gear changes, radios etc. I've backed on to many train tracks over the years.

Mrsladybirdface Sat 14-Sep-13 21:04:15

The 100 year lease would really scare me (having had to extend a lease previously)..every year you are there the flat will lose value because of the decreasing lease.

Also look at Dangers of Leasehold

So check who the freeholder is.

littlecrystal Sun 15-Sep-13 08:38:48

It is so easy to fall in love with something impractical! I would choose No.1.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 15-Sep-13 08:51:08

You will get used to the trains, but when you sell you will have to accept that lots of buyers will be put off by them and it will either take you longer to sell of the value will be less as a result.

Where on earth are you that a tube line goes down the back of a garden big enough for an orchard??!!

Retroformica Sun 15-Sep-13 17:58:07

Train wouldn't put me off. You stop hearing them after a while. Garden is a huge pull. Dips on bedroom is only a small issue really. Walk to school and area may be of concern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now