help do you live in mountain ash wales

(33 Posts)
samb1971 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:26:30

we are planning to move to south wales and found a house we love in mountain ash, can anyone help with a few questions please? is this a good place to live? are the schools good? and is the thigs for kids to do eg scouts, skate park , spaces to ride bmx bikes, other clubs ect. This is a big move for us so need my boys to be happy so any help will be great

burberryqueen Thu 18-Jul-13 08:56:37

Burberry person, you are a twonk
just reporting my experience and linking to articles with hard facts of Welsh secondary schools makes me a 'twonk' how exactly? confused

Justsomehappygirl Thu 18-Jul-13 09:08:44

Depending on where you need to be close to, have you considered further West along the M4? Such as Swansea or Llanelli areas. Beautiful big houses for half the city prices, very good schools, coastal paths/beaches, cycle tracks, the Gower, loads of activities for kids, generally good quality of life, daily commute to Cardiff between 40-50 mins. Good luck with the move grin

samb1971 Thu 18-Jul-13 14:05:22

hi thanks for all the replys and advice the house we liked is fab but after a lot of thinking think mountain ash may be to much of a compromise will look at some of the areas you have all mentioned, i love south wales such a beautiful place we are in a lucky situation that as long as we spend no more than £150,000 we wont need a mortgage and in that respect not tied to area through job. Will be able to manage for a while till hubby or i get a job but we are limited to house choice as need 5 bedrooms. So again thanks for all your help and another house viewing visit to beautiful wales soon grin

goingtobefree Thu 18-Jul-13 22:23:50

Good luck, come back and tell us when you buy your new house.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 18-Jul-13 22:34:15

I can see why you would think large parts of the valleys to be good value for money housewise.

What sort of employment are you after? Large parts of South Wales are unemployment blackspot, might be worth looking if they have your kind of work in the area.

And whilst I'm glad that people here are happy with education in Wales, it is considered amongst the worst in the UK.

boomboomfirepower Thu 18-Jul-13 22:41:39

For what you want church village or Llantrisant might be better.

Im from Cardiff and looking to move to the valleys for good schools etc.

Try Llandrindod Wells or brecon, church village or pontyclun if you want closer to the city.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 18-Jul-13 22:56:13

Just looking at houses for £150k with 5 bedrooms on Rightmove.

You'll be struggling for Cardifff, but parts of Swansea perhaps, and at least there, you'd have more access to more types of employment and different schools.

And how much renovation would you be happy to do?

Parts of Barry can be really nice, don't know exactly where this is and needs work but it is near the coast...

MorningHasBroken Thu 18-Jul-13 23:43:50

We moved to Porthcawl for exactly the same reasons as you.

We're now 20 mins to Swansea, 20 mins to Cardiff and the local comp has done alright for ds so far (yr 9). On the coast with lots for kids to do, 5 bed house cost £200k - we moved from Oxon too, where that would have bought us a small 2bed flat!

Cowbridge Comp is very good in the Vale of Glamorgan (very Cotswoldy there) but it is an expensive area...

If you decide on this area, pm me with any houses you spot and I can help you out on good/bad areas to live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now