Buyers support thread - stressed? Worried? Stuck in a chain? Gazumped? Well come and join us here

(1000 Posts)
Bakingnovice Tue 25-Jun-13 12:31:54

I can't see if there is already a thread like this so here goes..

We finally upped our offer enough for it to be accepted on our dream house. It's been stressful so far and this is just the beginning. We have had so many let downs: vendor changing mind, vendor getting higher offer etc and we hope this sale goes through smoothly. We've been looking for years. Come and join me if you're buying and equally stressed....

Misty9 Sat 29-Jun-13 20:39:52

Doglover - why did the other 3 sales fall through? Do you know? I know you don't want to hear the worst, but the sooner the better IMO so get on the phone to that estate agent! Sounds like they had their survey done quite late on in the process if you're due to exchange soon?
Good luck!

doglover Sat 29-Jun-13 20:47:34

Yes, we must be more proactive, you're quite right. I'll phone on Monday morning.

Bakingnovice Sat 29-Jun-13 21:23:25

Dog you must ring the solicitors and agents on Monday. It's always the clients who phone/email everyday who get prioritised. I speak from experience, and you are paying a good fee to both agencies. If you find out it might be something you can resolve quickly. Completion is a few months away for us but nearer the time I'm going to be A pita to solicitors and agents and I know that that is the only way to keep things moving sometimes.

doglover Sat 29-Jun-13 21:34:02

I know that you're all correct and I thank you for commenting. We bought our current property at the height of the boom in 2007 and have reconciled ourselves to selling at a loss (£30k loss so a large amount sad ). My dh has, understandably, found this a massive issue and will not budge on the price that we have finally accepted. If there are any problems with the survey, he is unlikely to budge at all. We are downsizing to reduce to our outgoings and are on a tight budget to refurbish our next house.

God, I hate this process.

littlecrystal Sun 30-Jun-13 00:20:57

Can I moan on here please? So when I thought that everything is going well - got a buyer for my house, got my offer accepted on another house - my mortgage was declined on the basis of affordability. Few months ago I could afford it, but not anymore. This is apparently due to childcare vouchers.. Ah not sure whether to take as a fate as stay put, or fight every corner until I get the mortgage.

doglover Sun 30-Jun-13 14:04:48

Moan away, LC. It does help to off-load! smile

Have you got a financial advisor littlecrystal? Can you not get them to chase up another mortgage for you?

Bakingnovice Sun 30-Jun-13 21:15:02

Little I agree with 50. Go to a financial advisor. We did and have obtained a good mortgage offer very quickly. We wee struggling without a FA.

littlecrystal Sun 30-Jun-13 23:14:35

I am in a fixed deal with thousands to pay for early redemption fee and superb lifetime tracker rate afterwards. It would be mad to switch to another lender. I am hoping I will be able to work out things with my current lender...

Misty9 Mon 01-Jul-13 21:19:09

Doglover - any news??

So we've let all sols and EAs know that we want to exchange by early August...doable? It's just us and the vendors in the chain as they're buying a chain free place. Just waiting on our mortgage offer now and building survey booked in for this week....slowly maybe getting excited grin

Bakingnovice Mon 01-Jul-13 22:35:37

Misty that's v exciting!! Early August is doable. Have you submitted searches etc? And badgered solicitors?

I wanted to ask you all a question. Is anyone else terrified about moving? It's only our second move (after leaving our first home) and I'm feeling anxious. The house we are buying is our dream house and has taken years to find and secure. Suddenly today I feel like its all too scary. Should we be taking a mortgage out in a recession ( been mortgage clear for years). What if the neighbours hate us? What if moving from a detached to a semi will mean lots of mice? What if dh loses his job and we can't pay the mortgage??!! All these silly doubts. For the record, although we are buying at the very top of our budget we can afford the new house!

Dog lover how did it go?

Turnipinatutu Tue 02-Jul-13 09:36:18

We put forward our offer and it was turned down flat sad
We knew it would be really, but just hoped, as there's nothing else out there and we can't go any higher sad

I really can't see us moving at all now.....

doglover Tue 02-Jul-13 11:43:58

Hi folks. News form the EA yesterday was encouraging. The mortgage/survey etc had been delayed in sending to their solicitor - she should receive it today.
The Building Inspector is visiting our new property to, hopefully, 'sign it off' today so things look as thought they are FINALLY progressing after weeks of stagnation smile

Bakingnovice Tue 02-Jul-13 11:48:23

Ah turnip I feel your pain. We have stretched to our max to buy our house. I would be gutted it he seller asked for more money as we would t be able to buy it.

Dog lover good to hear your news. Fingers crossed!

Toomuchtea Tue 02-Jul-13 13:26:52

Turnip is there anywhere to rent? We had nowhere to go to, and ended up renting, which hasn't been as bad as I thought, and did mean we could wait until a house came up in the area we wanted. Only one has in the entire 6 months, but fortunately they accepted our offer. It might well be that if you hang on and wait, the price of that house will come down. It is infuriating though. There are houses around here that have been on the market for 2 years and not budged on price.

Here, we're going in to sign contracts tomorrow. I'm going round the house with the plumber on Friday to sort out how new boiler etc. Just hope it all works out. We're supposed to complete on 21st of this month.

Littlecrystal, good luck. I hope you get somewhere with the financial advisor.

Turnipinatutu Tue 02-Jul-13 20:33:56

Toomuch- Renting not really an option as we have 2dc's and too many animals! I would also be nervous about coming off the property ladder in case nothing came up and prices went upwards.

The EA wasn't totally negative, said they didn't want to consider a low offer AT THE MOMENT. When I said we really couldn't go any higher, so would have to leave it, she said, "Well let's just see"
I keep trying to read into what she said <hopeful>
I'm wondering if they want to give it a few more weeks, maybe till the schools break up? As the market is supposed to slow down around then. (Although it can't get much slower)
I just don't know how much longer ours buyers will be prepared to wait.

Dog- Your news sounds encouraging. Nice to hear news of progress!

Bakingnovice Wed 03-Jul-13 08:56:23

Turnip it doesn't sound too bad then. Maybe keep an eye on it and see what happens. It's usually the more expensive houses that have the bigger price drops. Fingers crossed for you.

We met our seller yesterday. Such a lovely lady, she showed us around and mentioned lovely bits of furniture she was leaving as she was downsizing. However, am awaiting the fixtures and fittings form now as am not sure if she intends to charge or not. I wouldn't mind paying for some bits but I'd rather have my own fridge/washer etc.

Toomuchtea Wed 03-Jul-13 16:05:06

Turnip, we have 2 dcs and animals too, though I did, weep, have to rehome the chickens. Was fairly easy to find landlords prepared to take animals. If you do lose your buyers, are there others around? I do know exactly what you mean about coming off the property ladder - I began to get twitchy after a couple of months. Don't think prices had gone up hugely here, but then if you're in London I can see where you're coming from!

Any news dog?

Here we have yet more delays. The land registry plan is wrong and needs sorting out, for one thing. Sigh. Looks as if we might have to try and extend our rental for a month or two which I really don't want to do.

Betty5313 Wed 03-Jul-13 21:28:20

hello, can I come and join you all? We put our house on the market,at easter and sold in less than a week, found the house we wanted to move to a week later. Our sellers pulled out yesterday so we are back to looking for somewhere to buy. Sigh.

There isn't much on the market in our price range so it is depressing. Went to see two today, one was lovely but I'm nnot sure how practical. anyone got any experience of rayburn stoves/heating? Is it terribly expensive to run? House is old and doesn't have cavity walls so no chance of insulating it. The other was well within budget but too small.

Bakingnovice Thu 04-Jul-13 09:12:12

Hi Betty. No experience of rayburns I'm afraid. Why did your sellers pull out?

sammisatt Thu 04-Jul-13 10:17:00

I'd like to join you on this thread please. We've been looking for a house for 2 years and have finally found somewhere. We've are just waiting for the results of the survey but have found out the buyer is still marketing the property! So we may very well be gazumped. We are going to try and speed things up (we aren't in a chain thank god) and should know where we stand in 2 weeks but I'm really trying not to stress about it. My tactic is the same one I used to take when trying to 'go off' unsuitable men. I'm trying to make myself go off the house because it's a pretentious, over priced twat with delusions of grandeur and there's plenty more fish in the sea anyway. Sigh.

Betty5313 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:03:45

Our sellers were due to move in with parents/build a house on parents land/rent (we never had a clear plan from them!) but fell out with the parents/found it all too stressful. Apparently. Going back to see the possible house again at the weekend.

Musicaltheatremum Thu 04-Jul-13 20:18:01

I'm stressed. Buying a flat in London to rent. Offer accepted wanted quick sale finance all there no chain. Ready to exchange then oh dear the tenants who were to be out by June 15th had their next place fall through. I had hoped to be in by this weekend or next but now will be into August if they get the tenants out. (Court order awaited) don't need to move my tenants in until beg September (daughter and 2 friends) but it needs some structural work done.
I am in limbo as I live in Edinburgh and have no more time to go hunting. I need the property in 8 weeks so no hope of getting anything sooner.

flow4 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:48:03

I'm suddenly terrified, for no apparent reason!

Moving for the first time in over 20 years. Found a house I really like in a new, pleasant area. Kids ok about changing areas (and school, for DS2). Vendors friendly and amenable. Accepted my offer with a reasonable amount of negotiating and stopped marketing immediately. Good communication. Surveying issue resolved amicably. Valuation fine. Mortgage approved. Searches ordered. Everything progressing quickly and seems fine...

So why am I suddenly so anxious?! Is it a lurking feeling that it's too good to be true?! Is it normal to be so scared about it all?!

Bakingnovice Thu 04-Jul-13 22:18:06

Flow I posted the same earlier on. Perfect house, lovely vendor, finance sorted, but am riddled with anxiety. We've been here 15 years, brought our kids home from hospital here, watched them crawl along the hallways, learn to climb stairs. All our memories are here. I'm petrified. I think it's called The move Fear.

This thread is not accepting new messages.