What colour is your hallway?

(42 Posts)
LittleMilla Tue 25-Jun-13 09:55:41

I need some inspiration. Being replastered this week and then we need to paint ASAP as DS2 is due in a few weeks.

I like the idea of a grey/sagey green/off white, but obviously not all together grin.

kerryxx Tue 25-Jun-13 16:28:04

We are using Chalky Downs 4 in our hallway... that is a bit green, not sure if it's sagey green....
We also tested Dusted Moss which are greyey/greeny

Off Whites that I tested were Jasmine White and Timeless both Dulux, but not sure if these are too white. It depends on the hallway obviously.

Joanna2010 Tue 25-Jun-13 16:28:19

Ours is Dulux Natural Hessian, it does the job.

kerryxx Tue 25-Jun-13 16:31:44

I had my heart set on Natural Hessian in our living room. It's such a lovely colour. Then we tested it and it looked too pink in there sad

Joanna2010 Tue 25-Jun-13 16:40:18

Natural Hessian was too pink when I put a test patch in our lounge. It's an easy colour to live with smile

bookishandblondish Tue 25-Jun-13 17:21:06

Mine is dulux Bellini raspberry - flat entrance and no natural light. Looks stunning.

Have jasmine white in all other rooms (west/north west facing) and at times depending on light, looks pinky but most of the time, just looks whitish.

fussychica Tue 25-Jun-13 17:30:04

I'm not much of a wallpaper person but we have this

www.lauraashley.com/wallpaper/florence-leaf-wallpaper-natural/invt/3183978

actually quite gold, with oak flooring and white eggshell woodwork.
Everyone comments on how good it looks.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Tue 25-Jun-13 17:33:00

Mine is a new build so the whole house is boring gardenia, I'm a bit lost as to what to do with it so will watch this thread.

I would love a stripey carpet, I think...

Tieni Tue 25-Jun-13 17:35:14

Malt chocolate

BackforGood Tue 25-Jun-13 17:45:39

Ours is a very high ceilinged (Victorian) house but the hallway is quite dark as no windows in there. However, it also gets a lot of traffic and people and things scraping against and bumping into walls so we went for a mid-blue paper up to where we have a dividing rail (about 3'6" from ground) then a creamy colour to try to stop the hallway being too dark. Works quite well I think.

AngryFeet Tue 25-Jun-13 18:05:06

I need to think of a good colour scheme for my new hallway. It is a bungalow and has no natural light at all. Will be watching for good ideas smile

SvetlanaKirilenko Tue 25-Jun-13 18:34:25

Ours is Victorian and narrow, with no natural light. Painted Farrow & Ball Slipper Satin recently and OMG it's so beautiful! Looks a lot bigger, lighter, yet warm as well. Pictures look lovely against the colour too. Our decorator kept saying how lovely the colour was while using it and lots of people have commented on it. Goes with all the different colours our rooms are painted as well.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 25-Jun-13 18:40:22

Green. A light green the name of which escapes me but it was recommended to me by a mumsnetter for my kitchen.

I went for white in the kitchen but got that shade for the hall.

iwillsleepagainsomeday Tue 25-Jun-13 18:48:07

soft truffle below the dado rail. natural calico on top. have received lots of compliments!

CinnamonAddict Tue 25-Jun-13 18:50:08

Our hallway is concrete with stripes where the previous owner have ripped out the panels wink

I want to paint it F&B Borowed Light. Maybe put a dado rail in, paint that white and put the blue on top and a dark blue under the rail. Carpet on stairs will be stripey shades of blue, hallway original oak floor, sanded (in a few years time grin)

We had sagey green - dado rail - yellow in the old house. Looked good.

LittleMilla Tue 25-Jun-13 21:09:14

Thanks all for replies - I have put some photos up on my profile so that you can see what I've got to work with. Currently a magnolia colour and we've got Timeless in our sitting room but would like some more colour in the hallway.

Carpet will be going once we paint it (DH gets VVV upset about existing one, funny!). And long term plan is to put some victorian tiles in the entrance hall (pic 3). But that's expensive and will have to wait a bit grin. We're going to have a little seat built to the left of the mulepost, along with some coat hooks.

I absolutely adore the stained glass around the front door, so feel we need to paint vs. put in some wallpaper as it could look fussy. We're also v.lucky to have a skylight on the landing bit (bit dark as i've just taken the pics!), so we do get lots of natural light.

Debating whether to keep the dado rail and picture rail, would appreciate people's thoughts.

Thanks very much!

MmeLindor Tue 25-Jun-13 21:16:54

We have just painted ours in FB Manor House Grey (actually, we had it mixed by another company cause so many warned us about the quality of FB).

It is utterly stunning, and I am really delighted with it.

CinnamonAddict Tue 25-Jun-13 21:35:53

I love the door and surround!

eatyourveg Tue 25-Jun-13 21:55:14

Another dulux natural hessian here

LittleMilla Tue 25-Jun-13 21:58:32

I do like that natural hessian. Buying some testers tomorrow I think!

cherhorowitz Tue 25-Jun-13 21:58:40

Johnstones 'Manhattan Grey' with yellow touches in the mirror, light shade and soon to be rug.

LittleMilla Tue 25-Jun-13 21:59:13

Thanks Cinnamon, one of the things that sold the house to us tbh!

AngelsWithSilverWings Tue 25-Jun-13 22:03:10

Dulux York White in my hall.

JoyMachine Tue 25-Jun-13 22:50:41

MmeLindor- may I ask which company you used to mix the manor house? (johnstones?)
Mine is 50 shades of brown... needs changing ASAP!

JoyMachine Tue 25-Jun-13 22:51:17

Cinnamon- at our previous house we had borrowed light, north facing, was just gorgeous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now