Valuation Survey?

(12 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Fri 21-Jun-13 10:57:45

It is a rip-off but like everything else goes up with the value of the property apparently.

I have now managed to combine the valuation and home buyers survey at a total cost of £1080 so will suck it up.

Thanks for replies and suggestions smile

pigglepaggle Fri 21-Jun-13 10:15:31

£640.00 is a rip off just for a valuation. The people buying our house had a valuation carried out and their surveyor was in my house for 11 mins (timed him). I know some surveyors do 'drive by' valuations.
You have to have it done for a mortgage but ask your lender if they can include it in a homebuyers survey.

KazzaRazza Fri 21-Jun-13 07:44:00

Depending on what lender you are using, you may be able to get them to arrange a building survey which will incorporate the basic mortgage valuation. This could reduce your outlay.

Would suggest you speak to your financial adviser and get him to speak to the lender and get a quote.

wonkylegs Fri 21-Jun-13 07:39:07

I've just accepted it as one of the fees. We chose our lender on the basis of the overall cost of the mortgage including all fees. It was overall cheaper to pay these fees than go for a deal with 'free/cheap fees'. If you think about it like that then it's easier to just accept it.

VBisme Fri 21-Jun-13 07:37:17

Very frustrating, particularly with your low % for the mortgage.

We paid £360 for ours, but had to have it done twice after the first valuer massively undervalued the property. (The second one came in over so it's clearly all a bit hit and miss anyway).

rubyrubyruby Fri 21-Jun-13 07:33:01

I've gone through a financial advisor bloke. We had to change our application because our circumstances changed.

It's frustrating when we are paying more than 90% ourselves.
I need to organise a structural survey too. Looks like I have my day off planned out

The fees can vary between lenders and even between different products from the same lender. Some do offer free valuations, although they might sting you in some other way. Have you shopped around and decided this is the lender/product you want to go with?

rubyrubyruby Fri 21-Jun-13 07:22:33

Thanks wonky

Urgh! We are borrowing less than 10%

wonkylegs Fri 21-Jun-13 07:19:29

They won't lend without a valuation survey. It's for them not you. You often will get nothing more for that money than a simple 'yes we will lend you the money' or ' no we won't'. They get all the paperwork.

rubyrubyruby Fri 21-Jun-13 07:08:22

Is it worth requesting its not needed?
Or is it a legal requirement?

Seems extortionate!

wonkylegs Fri 21-Jun-13 06:49:17

It's a complete rip off but as you have no choice it's just something you need to swallow hard and not think about.
Our valuation survey cost twice as much as our really good homebuyers report. They also got the paperwork wrong on the valuation survey and had to do it twice despite the error actually meaning our loan to value was less than they thought (loan stayed the same but how much we are paying for the house is actually more)

rubyrubyruby Fri 21-Jun-13 06:42:44

Why does my mortgage lender want £640 to value the property we are buying? confused

Is this amount usual?
[fucking rip-off emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now