Would you buy in Barking?

(78 Posts)
AuraofDora Thu 16-May-13 19:45:06

Got offer on a great house just need to canvas some opinion on the area is it okay or would you not go there ?
It wasn't our first choice of area looking at forest gate east ham but can't get much bigger than we have here e17
Please help me decide...

AuraofDora Thu 16-May-13 22:02:55

Top 10 I wonde if that is to do with the sprawling estates.. It seems mad that they can't attract more young people given the housing crisis here, you know get avibe going or something

Forgive the tablet typing sox

Southeastdweller Thu 16-May-13 22:03:03

Heard it's a dump and crime is high. I don't like East London much anyway, most areas anyway.

Was going to mention the B.N.P link. That alone would deter me.

One of the cheapest areas in London to buy - I think the cheapest - apparently. No wonder.

AuraofDora Thu 16-May-13 22:04:15

I wonde how difficult to sell

The was a lot of leafy roads near our place, the houses looked cared for..the sort of thing that is missing round he in mattri land

AuraofDora Thu 16-May-13 22:07:35

I would be scared to look at the crime figures for here tbh, the cops are always shrieking about, w have homeless under the arches aft being moved on from outside Sainsburys sharing space with the rats
Everyone dumps their crap outside, and people piss in the parks

..and I'm priced out of here! Oh hell

Southeastdweller Thu 16-May-13 22:14:44

But you've got the fab Victoria Line on your doorstep, as well as there being things to do locally. Not like in Barking.

AuraofDora Thu 16-May-13 22:23:54

We have 2 bed apartment and would like a little more space and garden. every one dumps their shit outside our apartment block the council are next to useless. We have had two fights at school this week - the mums fighting not the kids!

There is a lot I like about here but the general way people treat the area is appalling, we are not in the village, nor could we eve afford it...

Southeastdweller Thu 16-May-13 22:44:05

The words 'Frying pan' and 'fire' springs to mind...

You lot really don't seem to be describing the town i live in hmm

AuraofDora Thu 16-May-13 22:55:40

Yes I can see that... I guess this is the frying pan I know and the fire would be with extra bedroom and a garden!

I will go and have a scout round again tomorrow after work, was there on Sunday cycling round, it just seemed so quiet...

AuraofDora Thu 16-May-13 22:57:47

2tired..it was not the impression I got either...tube was bit inner city gritty town centre much like Walthamstow, even had a market and our street is really quiet

I feel quite confused, will have another look round tomorrow

AuraofDora Fri 17-May-13 09:34:02

Anyone from Barking in the morning crowd?

I'm really looking for anyone living there at the moment, like 2tired

Can anyone help me with their real impressions and opinions based on experience, purhlease!

thanks

AuraofDora Fri 17-May-13 10:05:00

Anyone out there who can help?

I'm further down the train line- they say barking is improving...however it has a poor reputation here still...a friend finds it scarey at night -(tho true of many places maybe?)

DownstairsMixUp Fri 17-May-13 10:14:53

Well you wanted honesty. I was born in Barking and lived there till I was 22 when I decided to move to Kent.

Nice area - no, lots of crime, someone got shot near our house and there are frequent fights and lots of drug dealing which made me move out of the area. I lived in Dagenham to (same council) which seemed to have the same problems as Barking.

Schools, there aren't really any good schools there. Barking's main secondary schools are eastbury comprehensive (rubbish) and Barking Abbey which is better but it's quite hard to get into as it's one of the only good schools in the borough. The other good school that stood out was All Saints which is a catholic school so again, a little stricter on getting in. Dagenham Park and Sydney Russel are both terrible schools. When I was younger as I was catholic I could apply for some other catholic schools in our neighbouring borough Havering like Sacred heart girls school but not sure if times have changed over that.

In all my time living in barking as well it was def from 2000 onwards it's been on a downward spiral. Most of my family have encountered some sort of crime living there and have moved to other areas.

I agree Hornchurch and even some parts of Romford would be better to live in.

Also baring in mind the hospitals are rubbish that serve Barking and dagenham to, queens is the main one which is a pile of crap and constantly in the papers for failing in lots of their units (particuarly maternity) and king george is tired and not up to much anymore.

Upsides of barking are lots of transport into london and that's about it. I would never move back there.

Also the BNP stories speak for themselves, it's a very mixed area with a lot of cultures but I did find there was a huge amount of racism amongst the white british there which if your like me, you won't like at all.

AuraofDora Fri 17-May-13 10:27:51

thanks for being straight with me, it is appreciated.

I think a lot of places can be a bit alarming at night, there were a few characters around when we were there but is the area near the tube where most drug dealing takes place do you think?

It's the racist thing is one of the things that I am really rather worried about, the area seems mixed when wandering around but no I could bear that kind of attitude.

We need access to Walthamstow for DH's job so going further east is bit impractical
Schools to be honest the schools for boys in Waltham Forest dont foster much hope either. Was looking at Robert Clack School which looked okay, will check out Barking Abbey and see if we are in the catchment. Our place is right next to Eastbury.

A couple of Asian families from DS's school have moved there, they said they were worried before but it seems to have worked out for them, though i scan the playground I dont seem to be able to catch up with them

I dont expect anyone to wax lyrical but general feeling is a no go area then?

AuraofDora Fri 17-May-13 10:42:48

any more?

I wouldn't move there. DH is Newham born and bred, we lived in Walthamstow for 14 years. Newham is more deprived than Waltham Forest, the schools and hospitals are worse. I would see it as a step down for you. I think the detail that people have provided about violence are racism rings true.

What about Barkingside or Newbury Park - not the poshest of areas, but nicer than Barking and in Redbridge so the schools and local council are good. The secondary schools are way better than LBWF and Newham.

It's also just a quick bus ride on on the 123 into Walthamstow, or about 10 mins if you drive.

Some kids in Barking take the eleven plus and get into the Southend grammar schools...

Notyetthere Fri 17-May-13 11:59:32

The only good schools in the area are Barking Abbey and All Saints but then they at very competitive. We are in East ham and we were looking at secondary schools for my brother; my mum is a practising catholic which is why my brother got a place at all saints even if we were a good 8miles from the school. I do know people who lived closer but did not get into All Saints.

The thing about racism normally stems from social housing requirements where there is an air of that ''immigrants are given top priority to get housed compared to 'native' British folks''; you will find done really angry people who feel had done by their council.

I know a few girls from my secondary school in Newham who ended up as 'young mums' and most of them have been rehoused in Barking.

AuraofDora Fri 17-May-13 12:56:10

Thisisa.. Southend Grammar schools, will check that out - must be quite a journey each day though?

DH hoped we could still try for Ilford County High School, but that is going to be a journey too

Notyetthere... I cycled round the area on Sunday and spoke to Asian bloke doing up his fence in nearby street, he was saying it was okay but not to go 'over there' pointing across the tracks.

I'm going to take the tube in after work tonight, am not feeling good about this at all.

DownstairsMixUp Fri 17-May-13 13:05:10

I never got the option of sitting an 11+ in my primary school in dagenham (St Teresa's) so applying for a grammar school would never have been an option, plus that's quite a travel! It would be using c2c in the morning from Barking to southend central station which is about 40 minutes on the train! It was tough and competitive to get into All Saints, I went to a catholic primary school though to which helped I think.

I worked at Barking station and a lot of my shifts were night ones, yes, it was dodgy. Other areas in barking that are dodgy are the gasgoine estate, awful place! Barking town centre in general is not nice, it did used to be, but even most of the big shops shut shop, vicarage fields has a asda, an argos and a new look but no other "huge" shops. The market can be ok sometimes.

I know eastbury school had a lot of bullying reports and the results were not good, the houses are actually nice inside round them streets as i had friends that lived there, it's just the area in general sadly. :-(

Totally agree about it being about social housing, there were so many people that used to moan about the "foriegners" taking the houses, hence why BNP were voted in there. Overall, not a nice place to live in and I'd say you would be putting your eggs in one basket hoping for a place at southend grammar considering a lot of barking schools don't do 11+, it's a bit of a travel and it's a hard school to get into if your from castle point council let alone being from Barking!

I would defintely look into the outskirts of London bordering essex. Upminster, hornchurch, romford even elm park and rainham are all a step up from barking and dagenham

AuraofDora Fri 17-May-13 13:13:19

Thanks Downstairs

Just been looking at Barking Abbey, which is reassuring, and quite close to where we were planning to go, so there might be chance DS would get in there...

We are looking at the Faircross Estate, but it's near Longbridge Road, maybe too near..

DH says the town centre is due to be renovated, it was a bit grim when we were there, but mind you so is Walthamstow, the market has been run into the ground and there is a huge pointless tv on 24/7..

The social housing does sound the problem, there are plenty huge tower blocks as you drive in

It sounds like it would be hard to sell if we had to move on

oh bugger

mummytime Fri 17-May-13 13:28:08

I think you would be well outside Ilford/Woodford County High's catchment there. Robert Clack is still supposed to be a good school I had heard, but has a tiny catchment in Dagenham.
Barking is not Newham BTW.

AuraofDora Fri 17-May-13 13:33:19

Mummytime, according to their map Ilford County High School we are just in, by about a millimetre!

Robert Clack looked very aspirational and organised. Barking Abbey looks good but DS is not sporty but very good at IT, won awards etc for it

Would prefer him to go local so he can have some time to himself each day and make friends too but am now so unsure of all this moving stuff - we only wanted a bit more space and a garden

Re schools - yes, it's prob over an hour door to door to Westcliff or southend high - but kids do come from barking. It's causing a lot of controversy in the town that nearly 50% kids are from out of catchment.

I agree with downstairs really, for a family life upminster, hornchurch etc might be better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now