areas of the UK that are cheap-ish for houses now but bound to go up in value? + why is Nottingham so cheap?

(207 Posts)
allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 00:22:26

This would have to exclude South coast (Hastings and so on), and also the North proper, as I need easy access to London and other parts of the country.
Just find myself really hankering after space and a house or large maisonette, without other people living on top of you or on both sides (3 good size beds semi-detached ideally, or a flat on two top floors with loft space), having only lived and looked at flats in London and SW - I'm increasingly finding that a nice area doesn't compensate for the lack of space anymore. I think the older you get the more space you want!

The area has to be reasonably nice but not chi-chi, i.e. low crime levels and must have a train station with access to london ideally in 1hr but could stretch a bit. It also has to be quite green with nice surrounding country. Town or city. I can't do cottages or modern boxes, used to live in high ceilinged London flats.

So far I found a couple of nice looking places with cheap houses, but usually too far from London (i.e. around Harrogate - just great old houses there, small towns in SW). Or places like Abingdon in Oxon but no train station.

Well, there is Nottingham - some nice spacious period houses on rightmove, MUCH bigger than what you can get in many places. What I don't understand is why it takes so long on the train - are there plans for faster trains there? York is much faster even though further out. What's Nottingham really like? Is it likely to go up in value? Is it better than Sheffield which I know a little?

What about Stamford/Northampton to compare with Nott? In sw there is Chippenham and Swindon that are cheap but not attractive, are these places better in comparison?

I need to buy somewhere where prices are not going to drop and ideally rise as my cash income is low atm and it's important to invest well. My mum may well need to move in with me when a bit older too, so somewhere with buses a bonus. Oh and reasonably nice, friendly people a big bonus. School cattchments are not important.

If anyone is selling something like this, PM me - and maybe introduce me to a new area!
Sorry for the long saga...I'd be grateful for someone to help put an end to this frustration!

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Thu 09-May-13 17:07:09

Yup, Newark has a large Waitrose envy They only think us worthy of a titchy local shop. hmm

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 17:13:47

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41493878.html

just to show this is the kind of house I like - so much SPACE after London, though would trade 4th bed for somewhat bigger garden - but definitely don't need a big garden and could live with tiny one if other things great. Btw don't mind terrace but end of terrace (aer they cheaper than semis?).

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 17:16:50

LadyMary - so what are the nice areas, are they far from the station (buses to centre?)? I like the look and price of houses in Sherwood and the big park - aer the parks safe? Also still there is the longish train journey - any speeding up in pipeline that you know of?

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 17:20:55

Lula, thanks, will have a look on rightmove. What about shopping there?

MrsPnut, sounds really nice! how long is it to London and are the trains frequent? Is Northgate actually in newark and walkable? Do you visit Lincoln for shopping or just as it's a nice town to look at?

MrsPnut Thu 09-May-13 17:25:27

I love this house here

LittleFrieda Thu 09-May-13 17:32:15

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26205618.html

Luton. Good preserver of capital as there will be quite a property uplift when (not if) Luton expansion goes ahead. V fast trains into London.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Thu 09-May-13 17:32:53

They are currently extending the tram network so more of the outskirts will have fast access to the city. Beeston is nice (and cheap), West Bridgford is nice (but expensive). I live towards Beeston, it's very cheap and there's a handful of local shops but it's a pita to get into the city centre every day because of the traffic. It takes 30 mins on a good day, an hour on a very bad day. The HS2 is going through Toton so that will speed up the travel to London but it's going to take a while.

LittleFrieda Thu 09-May-13 17:33:10
allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 17:33:53

that's very charming MrsP, would love to stay there as a holiday home, but to own.. ceilings are a bit low for my towney tastes!

See, it mentions three stations on that listing, but not Northgate - what is the access to that one, and any areas that are nice next to it?

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 17:37:48

LittleF, isn't Luton very noisy due to aircraft noise? thought it was rough too. But of course it can well come up in future, the question is, how long would that take? and I doubt that there aer green spaces/parks of any note?
Yeah, I think Nott'm is not the first choice now though still bearing in mind, I'm mainly put off by length of journey and as you say, not so great suburb links.
Off to look at newark prices now.

Toomuchtea Thu 09-May-13 17:37:49

Northampton is a world away from Stamford. The other railway line in Northants, via Kettering and Wellingborough, is a lot more reliable. There are lots of pretty villages around both, and the service is under an hour. Kettering's a bit better than Wellingborough IMO. Houses near Kettering Station are few and far between, but the big ones (if they ever appear) are around the 350-400 mark.

iseenodust Thu 09-May-13 17:42:06

Lincoln. Like a small York and cheaper.
If all the green energy plans for the Humber area/ east coast come to fruitition prices will rise significantly.

Em2121 Thu 09-May-13 17:46:27

Take a look at Hitchin - 30 mins to London, nice but unswanky market town with a bit of life to it, house prices not too stupid, although not sure what your budget is like...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41350184.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38213827.html

x

MrsPnut Thu 09-May-13 17:50:53

Newark Northgate is the middle listing of the stations.

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 17:51:46

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31442371.html
shock<faints> it's huge.. and nice! even though between two rail lines, it seems.

Btw what about parks/NT around Newark?

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 17:52:30

ah sorry, thought it was one word and ovelooked.

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 17:55:40

Em, Hitchin seems above budget of 250 for 3 beds and not a tiny sitting room (or modern) - I ve heard it was nice, St Albans is WAY above budget, sadly as I could live there. I could get a poky tiny 2 bed house or modern boxy flat there.

ILikeBirds Thu 09-May-13 17:56:28

You would be better off on the west side of Nottingham if getting to London is important. The trains to London go via Beeston and Long Eaton and if the high speed link goes ahead in Toton it will be in that area too. Living in Sherwood would mean a trek into Nottingham station instead which all adds time.

BuggedByJake Thu 09-May-13 17:56:45

Sherwood is ok, we lived there for a few years. Nice houses at a good price. Its a student area so alot of rented property.woodthorpe park is lovely.
If you want to be on a bus route to town look at Mapperley ( not mapperley park unless you gave a huge budget)& woodthorpe. Both areas near Woodthorpe park.
Alot of negative coments about notts but that's because of places like st anns & the meadows. There are loads oflovely areas.

ILikeBirds Thu 09-May-13 17:58:14
allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 18:00:25

Toomuchtea, aer you saying Stamford is better or worse? I'm not after a village even though I love the look of them, jusat too much of a leap. Would you not recommend the towns of N or Stamford? can you get something semi and 3 bed but nice there for 250?

iseenodust, how long does it take to London though? it can't be quick from Lincoln!

As I say, I really need a shorter journey than I'm doing now, absolute max 1.30 if house is a walk from station.

Em2121 Thu 09-May-13 18:00:40

Ah, missed your budget. We live in St Albans, but got onto the property ladder here 15 years ago with do-er uppers. Prices are silly now, we could never afford to start again here. Will have a bit more of a look for you...

MrsPnut Thu 09-May-13 18:02:50

Newark has a park by the river and some more over towards the hospital. NT has Belton House near Grantham (about 10mins down the a1) and the old work house at Southwell (about 15 mins towards Mansfield).
There is also a nature reserve at Collingham, not sure if it's open yet but the lady at the nature group dd2 goes to has said that there are otters there.
Whisby nature park is on the south side of Lincoln, again about 15 minutes drive from Newark Northgate area along the a46.

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 18:06:01

ILike, I've seen that one! nice house! but miles from station unless these small ones have direct train to London.Even from Nottingham itself it'si a bit too long.

Bugged - the link I posted was by M.Park - very nice though tiny garden. Must be buses to there as not far from centre? or you can even walk. So does the crime spread to the centre and the parks, or aer you saying it's only in some areas?

allaflutter Thu 09-May-13 18:09:12

Em2, I did say 'cheap-ish' in the title! I ve added 'ish because really cheap are Hastings and some of the North. No way St.A or Hitchin are cheapish. I could buy there, but not what I want space-wise, plus not much on the market generally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now