Where's nice to live near Alfreton?

(13 Posts)
bevthebaker Fri 22-Feb-13 15:22:58

Great, thanks so much. I've been having a look on rightmove at the places you've suggested. I'll most likely have to come up for a short stay so if anyone knows of a nice, clean B&B I'd be grateful. Thanks a lot - this is my first go on mumsnet and you've all been brilliantly helpful. Really appreciate your time - I'd be floundering without you. Xx

fussychica Fri 22-Feb-13 14:41:41

Know the area well as lived in this neck of the woods for about 15 years.

How about Ashover - very pretty, Wingerworth (much bigger with excellent primary schools and good for families), Baslow, Littleover, Darley Dale - basically almost anywhere toward the Peak Park.

bevthebaker Fri 22-Feb-13 13:37:34

Thanks so much for all your tips. I'm thinking of renting somewhere to begin with - I haven't got any children yet, so schools aren't a concern at the moment. I just want to start my search in the 'nicer' areas. I'll be moving up from Devon, so I haven't got a clue where to start! You've really helped and if you have any more thoughts, I'd be everso grateful.

insanityscratching Thu 21-Feb-13 19:51:00

Dh's parents lived in Underwood and that seemed a nice place to live tbh although that's Notts rather than Derbyshire but far closer than a lot of places in Derbyshire would be. I like Ashover, nice quiet village, great pubs serving good food and a real sense of community.

ILikeBirds Thu 21-Feb-13 19:45:19

I don't think parts of Alfreton are too bad, compared to a lot of ex-mining villages in this area. The swimming pool is very nice.

ILikeBirds Thu 21-Feb-13 19:42:20

The bikers go to Matlock Bath rather than Matlock.

I like Cromford. Nice villages include South Wingfield, Crich.

Road connections are better East so you could be further distance wise, without it being timewise.

Do you have a rough budget?

Tyranasaurus Thu 21-Feb-13 19:39:51

Belper's nice, or Bakewell. I don't really like Matlock- it always makes me think of the seaside (in a bad way). There are quite a few nice villages dotted about and yes the run-down ex-mining villages too. Oh, and Alfreton itself is a dump.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Thu 21-Feb-13 19:29:17

Borrowash is a lovely village. There's also Sandiacre and Stapleford but this is just over the boarder into Nottinghamshire. They are not rural though but have great transport links into Derby and Nottingham and the property is cheap and the schools are not too bad.

ProphetOfDoom Thu 21-Feb-13 19:24:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Thu 21-Feb-13 19:06:38

There are some nice villages west of Alfreton. Crich is nice. The roads can be a real pita, esp in winter. If you go a little further than Matlock then you could get just inside the national park around Chatsworth which is less than 45 mins not during rush hour. I have no idea how long it would take in traffic.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Thu 21-Feb-13 19:01:44

Matlock is wonderful, very hilly though. Don't live in Alfreton or Allenton. Chellaston is quite nice, not very rural but has good schools. What about Aston on Trent? School is good and it's a lovely little village.

Matlock and surrounding area are lovely. Don't be put off by the motorbikes, they tend to congregate at certain pubs and its generally a nice atmosphere anyway.

bevthebaker Thu 21-Feb-13 18:46:16

Hi, I'm thinking of taking a job in Alfreton, Derbyshire, but I don't know the area at all. Would anyone be able to give me some pointers for nice places to live within about 45 minutes' drive, please? I'd prefer a quiet location, perhaps a village? I'd thought Matlock might be good, but then I read somewhere that it's a mecca for motorbikes in the summer, so that put me off a bit. Any help would be very gratefully received. Thanks xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now