Can't find anything we want to buy! Anything else we can do?

(34 Posts)
MrsJamin Fri 08-Feb-13 13:09:18

We accepted an offer on our house a few days ago (to FTBs who don't seem to be in too much of a rush), but the market for 3 bed semis seems to be very slow... what else can we do to find a house, and how long will our buyers wait for us to find somewhere? We've gone from excited to really stressed and under pressure to like things that we don't really feel that much for. Anybody done anything out of the ordinary to find a house that's not just listed on rightmove?

MrsJamin Mon 11-Feb-13 07:16:22

Oh that's rubbish. At least you know now rather than when you'd done a survey etc. I really hope something comes up this week that I like as much as DH does.

CuddyMum Mon 11-Feb-13 15:55:23

Well my searching is over - as our buyer pulled out this morning due to "personal reasons". sad

piemistress Mon 11-Feb-13 20:04:33

We were in the same position and ended up putting an advert on the village forum (no replies), an advert in local paper (2 repliés) and then put notes through door of about 50 houses we liked (had about 7 replies!).

Out of them all 3 houses ended up being real possibilities and we are now in process of buying one. Our bank gave us six,mobths grace to find a new house and not lose our mortgage rate. We are in Scotland though. I knew it would be hard to drive a hard bargain but we were willing to pay the valuation of the property.

CuddyMum Mon 11-Feb-13 20:28:16

How I wish we had the same buying regulations as Scotland smile

piemistress Mon 11-Feb-13 21:01:15

Can you not arrange a private sale in England?

CuddyMum Mon 11-Feb-13 22:10:02

You can - it's more the backing out before exchange - which is what my buyer did to me today sad

piemistress Tue 12-Feb-13 02:56:18

Oh boo sorry OP :-( i think up here things are more formal once an offer has been made. We did get shafted though as our first choice house led us merrily along for à month (it was actually the house i grew up in so really wanted it!) Then despite it Being à private sale they had à much better offer out of the blue. I waq gutted and still not quite over the disappointment :-(

Good luck .!

Bilbobagginstummy Sun 17-Feb-13 18:31:39

Been through another 3 plans, round a load of rental places, nearly signed up for a rental but someone else got it from under my nose a few minutes before - after it had been on for weeks. sad

I don't want to move really - but am moving with work and it makes sense practically. But oh, how I wish I could just find somewhere nice and get it sorted.

Yfronts Mon 18-Feb-13 22:29:11

put notes through door of houses you like. put notices on street lamps and in local papers stating what you are looking for. be proactive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now