Looking for flats in Edinburgh - what price range to look at?

(81 Posts)
FrozenFlowers Wed 30-Jan-13 18:48:37

Hi - I have posted this in both Edinburgh Local and Property/DIY.

We're about to start flat hunting in Edinburgh. We are seeing a mortgage advisor on Monday, but are reasonably sure that (all being well) our ceiling price will be £175k.

Basically - I don't know which flats to look at! I am assuming anything fixed price that is £175k or under is worth considering, but other than that I'm just not sure. I don't want to be looking at things that are on for, say, offers over £170k and then finding that actually people are expecting to get £185-190k for them. Conversely, I don't want to find out that I could have been looking at flats on for offers around £180k or £185k and having a decent shot at getting them for £175k!

I know this kind of thing is quite local, and I hope once we've got a solicitor he/she might be able to give us a steer, but does anyone have any advice until then? I'd like to know what I can be looking at on the Internet to start with!

expatinscotland Sat 02-Feb-13 17:12:41

That flat is too high up. I'd keep looking.

13Iggis Sat 02-Feb-13 17:49:05

Yet both Granton and Pilton have areas of modern new housing that is far from cheap.
I think in Edinburgh you have to start by deciding whether you can only accept character properties, or don't mind new builds - makes a massive difference to your options.

IrnBruTheNoo Sat 02-Feb-13 19:27:30

Then there's Craigmillar. Seems to be sprouting new housing too...

IrnBruTheNoo Sat 02-Feb-13 19:29:27

Have you considered Newington?

FrozenFlowers Sat 02-Feb-13 22:35:00

I've considered Newington in the sense that I consider I can't afford it.

The idea of Leith doesn't put me off per se. I live just off Leith Walk now (albeit up towards the town end) in a new(ish) build. If I could buy a flat in Morningside/Marchmont/New Town wherever then I would do it, but I don't think £175k is going to cut it somewhere like that. And short of a lottery win, or waiting until I'm 85, I don't think I'm ever likely to have much more to work with!

IrnBruTheNoo Sat 02-Feb-13 22:44:07

Currie is a lovely area, and you'd be in the catchment for Balerno High (has a fantastic reputation). It is slightly further out than Morningside/Marchmont areas, but a lovely part of the city. Not sure that you'd find a flat there though...hmm...what about Gilmerton? Not as pricey as Currie, but an OK area (once viewed a few semi detached houses here).

FrozenFlowers Sat 02-Feb-13 22:50:37

Not really very familiar with Currie (other than as the home of the driving test centre!) or Gilmerton. Will have a look.

LifeofPo Sun 03-Feb-13 09:25:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrozenFlowers Sun 03-Feb-13 09:39:14

Mmm...not really sustainable without a car then. Oh well, I'm sure we'll find something, even if if it is in Leith! I think on balance I'd be happier in an ostensibly scummy area that's 15 minutes to work/town on the bus, than I would be an hour out in an apparently nicer area. I'm not inclined to take much account of secondary school catchment areas for my as yet unconceived child - secondary school admission issues are probably about 12-15 years down the line for me!

13Iggis Sun 03-Feb-13 09:54:55

Leith has a vibrant life/culture of its own. Not scummy!
I think you are still in the flat stage of life and should save the move to a semi-detached in liberton or gilmerton until you have 2 kids smile
Good luck with the solicitor appt.

FrozenFlowers Sun 03-Feb-13 09:59:41

You're right. I had a bit of a panic last night but actually I think it will probably be fine. And anyway the mortgage advisor might tell us to jog on and then it will be academic anyway.

LifeofPo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:00:50

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:11:07

"Currie isn't really in edinburgh though"

Neither is Leith, locals in Leith do not tend to associate themselves with being from Edinburgh, they tend to say they're from Leith. DH says it's completely seperate, as do a few others I know who've lived in Leith all their days...

LifeofPo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:15:14

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:16:12

DH is laughing at it taking 1hr from Currie into centre of the town by bus. He done it for years and no way did it take that length of time to get into the town.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sun 03-Feb-13 10:17:53

Type in abbeyhill in the road and there is a 2 bedroom hrs floor flat that would fit your requirements.

Excellent bus routes and really nice area, I've just sold mine in the same stair, lived there for 10 years. Pm me if you like it for inside gossip.

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:18:03

Agree, it's not as easy to walk into the centre of town from Currie quite as easily as Leith. But Currie/Juniper Green/Balerno areas much nicer place to live in long term.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sun 03-Feb-13 10:18:25

That was meant to say espc not road.

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:19:01

"abbeyhill"

NOW, this is a fantastic place to live if you want a flat. All within easy reach of the town, walking, getting public transport, right next to Hollyrood Park.

LifeofPo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:19:29

tothesea Sun 03-Feb-13 10:19:30

How about Ferry Road area? I have see a few flats at offers around the £160/170 mark and it is close to nice park, Ocean Terminal, Newhaven harbour for cafes and restaurants etc and good schools for the future!

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:19:50

DH has a friend who lives in this area of town, too (friends scattered all over the city!)

LifeofPo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:19:59

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 03-Feb-13 10:21:05

Can't believe I never thought of Abbeyhill to begin with, it's so bloody obvious! It's a fantastic part of the city to live in, if you're after a flat only.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sun 03-Feb-13 10:23:16

Can't do a link stupid kindle, it's fixed price 145k

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now