The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

Movingtimes Sat 16-Mar-13 10:42:26

Hey guys, can I join, my house went on Rightmove this morning - thread here - so we are biting our nails as we wait to see if we get any viewers.

We are relocating to Gosport and have planned to go for a few days during the Easter hols to view houses there. Need to move before my new job starts in September.

CuddyMum Sat 16-Mar-13 11:03:48

Good luck Springlamb!

Welcome Movingtimes! Your house is amazing - such a bargain too compared to houses here.

My potential buyer said he'll up the offer by £2k if I made a rapid decision (by 10 am today of he'll offer on the other house). Again I said, my husband is away until 1.00 pm. He's driving right now and has clients in the car, so not a conversation to have on loud speaker! Plus, we want to view the houses this afternoon. I've said that if he wants to offer on the other house, then that he must do what he feels is right. I realise I may jeopardised the offer but I need time to talk with my husband first.

CuddyMum Sat 16-Mar-13 12:07:40

Had feedback from yesterday's viewers - loved the house but can't afford it. So glad I got up and the crack of dawn to tidy the house before work and left the bloody heating on all day!

sailorsgal Sat 16-Mar-13 16:12:11

cuddymum how annoying! Hope your house viewings go well today.

movingtimes lovely house, great kitchen btw.

I am a bit miffed nobody has booked to view our house this weekend. We are away over easter and though am not keen to leave a key with the EA it might be a good time for anyone to view and we won't need to keep tidying up. grin Though the holiday period might encourage timewasters filling their days.

Movingtimes Sat 16-Mar-13 16:26:51

How annoying, Cuddy. Surely they knew if it was in their budget or not before they came to view?
We have had one viewer already - said the house was lovely but garden too small. I fear the size of the garden will put a lot of people off, even though we have done it as nicely as we can.

Movingtimes Sat 16-Mar-13 16:28:03

Sailor - deffo leave a key with EA. Multiple viewings for the price of one big tidy would be a result!

sailorsgal Sat 16-Mar-13 16:34:19

Your house is great but the size of the garden would put us off as we want a big garden. However for some a big garden is a pain in the ass. What people need to understand is they have to compromise somewhere, unless they have an unlimited budget. smile <note to self>

BimbaBirba Sat 16-Mar-13 16:50:14

movingtimes I would buy your house in a heartbeat even though the garden is not big. I love the period features but the real selling point for me would be your kitchen. Just gorgeous.

CuddyMum Sat 16-Mar-13 17:01:35

Well we did look at two properties today - one needs a lot of money spending on it (to make it comparable its neighbour that sold recently). This would mean a very low offer indeed. We were shown the other property, that was way, way over our budget to see what could be achieved etc. I would buy that house right now but sadly, he's spent so much renovating it that our offer wouldn't be anywhere near what he's asking.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter as our buyer is withdrawing his offer. I have tried to explain that he hasn't even given us a chance to offer on anything else and that there's nothing to rent at all. I'm very sad about it and if he had raised his offer we may have been willing to take a risk. I couldn't even guarantee that we would complete in time with his demands. I guess we are right back to the drawing board. sad I don't think this is meant to be.

Movingtimes Sat 16-Mar-13 17:09:06

Blessing in disguise perhaps though as he sounds like he would have been very difficult to deal with. Last thing you want is a buyer who is prepared to throw all their toys out of the pram every five minutes through the course of the sale. He sounds just the type to drop his offer by £10k the day before exchange (this happened to us when we last sold 10 years ago and I am still bitter, can you tell?) knowing he has you over a barrel. You will find a better buyer soon.

CuddyMum Sat 16-Mar-13 17:13:44

Thank you Movingtimes. It may have been different if there was a house to buy or rent but he's not even given me 24 hours to look! I feel bitter that the woman down the road is going to benefit from my loss and sell her house to him. I hope he's horribly unhappy in it!

alwayslateforwork Sat 16-Mar-13 17:29:02

Morning all. Our lovely EA (used her twice before) is coming tomorrow to take marketing pics and get our place on the market.

Soooooooo, today I am at the margins of panic. There are five of us and two shedding slobbering Labradors living in a 2 bed townhouse (though it does have a walk-out basement room which is being used as the third bedroom at the mo) and, I have to say, one crapload of stuff. Everywhere.

I have invested in a storage locker and my plan is to stuff it full and lock it, and then deal with what's left. I don't think we are at the baking bread, fluffing towels, and arranging fresh flowers point...

Any words of wisdom???!

Movingtimes Sat 16-Mar-13 18:50:22

DH and I shifted a load of stuff to a storage unit at the weekend. Extra chairs, boxes of books and paperwork, ornaments and pictures. House now looks quite tidy. Blitz one room at a time. I took photos as I went along so I could see what the rooms would look like for the EA. I also bought underbed storage boxes for the DD's rooms and shifted all their tat in there. Clear surfaces basically. You wouldn't want to open our cupboards right now though.

CuddyMum Sat 16-Mar-13 20:15:03

Just out of interest how much do storage units cost?

alwayslateforwork Sat 16-Mar-13 20:31:46

Ours is a 10x10 for about £300 a month. No idea if that's the norm, but it's the only one within an hour and a half's drive, so I guess they can charge what they like! Ours is heated, as we want to put some wooden furniture in there as well.

CuddyMum Sat 16-Mar-13 20:46:08

Thanks - just needed options in case we end up renting something smaller at some point smile

Movingtimes Sat 16-Mar-13 22:18:43

Ours is £70 a month, but not heated. I think 7x7, supposed to be big enough to take the contents of a one-bed flat anyway - I think it probably would be a tight fit though.

CuddyMum Sat 16-Mar-13 22:26:33

Thanks - that's food for thought smile

Tau Sun 17-Mar-13 13:01:52

Beautiful house, Movingtimes!

We're still stuck at our three viewers. Yesterday I met our last viewer on the street as she was exploring the neighbourhood! She said she very much likes the house, but isn't sure about the neighbourhood, so she needs to think about that.

I really hope she will buy it... I'd like her to have my house as she wants to change the same things with it as I would... meaning, nothing. :p
(Okay, if we stayed here I'd want a downstairs loo, but that's it.)

Perhaps I am a little too emotionally attached here...blush

marshmallowpies Sun 17-Mar-13 17:14:41

I was on this thread in the autumn & just checking in for old times' sake. Now been 3 months in our new house and we are very happy - new boiler and electrics have been put in (turns out the 1970s fuse box was a death trap waiting to happen, as was the boiler...). Woodchip wallpaper has gone from the living room & dining room and we are getting them repainted next week.

Movingtimes I love your kitchen - our house has the potential to create a big family kitchen - diner like that, we'd probably do the extension in a year or so. Would be interested to know what you thought worked well in a space that size and what, if anything, you'd do differently if you were doing it again? (I've never usually been a fan of island units but the one in your kitchen with the bookshelves on it is ace). My main worry about creating a space that big is the back of the room being a bit too dark...anyway, it's interesting to see how others have done it!

Cuddy hope this is the buyer for you at last! Since we moved there have been 2 more houses for sale on my old street, both for considerably more than I sold mine (one is completely overpriced in my view, though!), so I do wonder if I could have held out for another £5 or £10k. Ah well!

marshmallowpies Sun 17-Mar-13 17:17:45

Sorry Cuddy, I was reading your earlier post - he wasn't the buyer after all...how unfair to make such a snap decision before you've had a chance to even think, though! Hope things start to move in a more positive direction for you soon.

Movingtimes Sun 17-Mar-13 17:40:13

Marshmallowpies - to make the space we have now we knocked down a knackered old garage and built out and removed internal walls that separated a tiny kitchen (the original scullery) a large walk-in pantry (nearly as big as the original kitchen) and a breakfast room (the original kitchen). This was really, really dark with only a tiny window so although that end of the room (the sitting area now) is a bit darker than the rest of the room it is much much lighter than it was previously. We love the island - I have three daughters and they love to cook and it was really tricky fitting more than one person in the old kitchen. I have had my whole Brownie pack in the new kitchen cooking round the island and it is great for parties too. The only thing I would do differently is although the storage is in the main great, I could do with one more bottom cupboard for big bowls and stuff. The units are bog standard ones from Howdens and I am really happy with them. I have a boiling water tap which I love and the slate worktops which I wanted so badly are probably my favourite thing. Took a year to plan and another eight months to build but it was worth it in the end.

CuddyMum Sun 17-Mar-13 17:42:27

It's all back on! Will update later as at street dance competition!

alwayslateforwork Mon 18-Mar-13 03:49:31

Well, we have a shiny new 'for sale' sign hanging out front. Agent wants to have an open house for other agents a week on tues, so I have a week to empty the garage!!

She took us to see three places today - one not bad but needs work, and the other two not suitable for various reasons. She doesn't think any of them were right for us, so is digging up some more...

That sounds hopeful, cuddy!

Toomuchtea Mon 18-Mar-13 10:36:38

CHecking in - great news it's back on Cuddy. Fingers crossed for a good outcome, and also fingers crossed you find something to buy/rent. Estate agents now love us as we are cash buyers, and in rented, but there is nothing whatsoever to buy in the area we want, apart from something that's stupidly overpriced for the area. Obviously spent a mint and want to get it back.

So glad you're having viewers now Tau!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now