The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

CuddyMum Tue 26-Feb-13 17:31:08

I said that to the agent Mrs Jamin and wanted to call it 4 or 5 beds but she strongly disagreed!

sailorsgal Tue 26-Feb-13 20:47:51

Well viewed the fixer upper, I don't think dh was that impressed. We are going to view this property on Friday www.rightmove.co.uk/property-21612739-html

sailorsgal Tue 26-Feb-13 20:52:09

I really mustn't try to do links when I have had wine

sailorsgal Tue 26-Feb-13 20:54:34
sailorsgal Tue 26-Feb-13 20:56:15

Well I got a property then but not the right one.

CuddyMum Tue 26-Feb-13 21:28:59

Try a postcode and price again smile

sailorsgal Tue 26-Feb-13 21:42:31

DT2 8RY £345,000, it has got lovely features but I worry when they don't show the kitchen but we would have money in the budget to do it.

CuddyMum Tue 26-Feb-13 22:04:03

Cheesy advert but cool house! Wish they'd put a floor plan.

sailorsgal Wed 27-Feb-13 08:05:38

yes, no floor plan. I like the idea of a character property and if it was just dh and myself it would be lovely. Not sure they are always family friendly, sometimes just not practical.

Seeing another house today but even though it is in a stunning village location it is about 9 miles out of town which would mean leaving the house at 7.30am to get to school, and don't even mention the cost of petrol.

Toomuchtea Wed 27-Feb-13 09:08:03

That's a great house sailorsgal, though it would be a pain to heat, with those vastly high ceilings. I also hate it when people don't put on floor plans. You learn so much from floor plans.

sailorsgal Wed 27-Feb-13 17:53:19

Yes it did cross my mind how much it would cost to heat.

Just back from another viewing, great location and house in a lovely setting but if we extended it we wouldn't be left with much garden. sad

back to the drawing board. Another viewing tomorrow.

CuddyMum Wed 27-Feb-13 17:58:18

At least you seem to have plenty to view. Are all these houses new to the market? There's nothing else I've even seen and I'm not being picky - there literally is nothing else. I've had no more viewings recently sad Hope something happens soon before I eat my fingers down to the knuckles. It's so frustrating. Going to have a look at sofas at the weekend to cheer me up and have sent for some material samples for blinds (as you do!).

sailorsgal Wed 27-Feb-13 18:11:50

I've spread my area a little to be honest though nothing is blowing me away I am trying to be optimistic. Some yes have come on the market very recently within the last couple of weeks.

CuddyMum Thu 28-Feb-13 18:21:15

How did you get on today with your viewing Sailorsgal?

The house I was interested in has disappeared off the agent's website (not under offer). I've asked my EA if she can ask her sister branch where it went! I also realised that we've not had a single viewing in 6 weeks - hmm...

Also, the people who are interested in our house were meant to be changing agents to the same as me and this has not happened either. Am feeling very in limbo.

sailorsgal Thu 28-Feb-13 21:02:35

Not great! Had some good aspects but for the money would expect a little less work and only one bathroom. Great garden though and not overlooked.

cuddymum are you happy with your EA?

CuddyMum Thu 28-Feb-13 21:24:06

I have to say that my EA is definitely the best in the area and I have a very good relationship with the assistant manager who is doing everything she can. It's all so frustrating. I have a rival property just come on down the street. It's cheaper, smaller and not nicely decorated but I'm hoping this may send some viewers our way. It seems that properties over £350k don't sell.

AugustaProdworthy Sat 02-Mar-13 18:47:11

Evening all. We had an offer on ours yesterday!

CuddyMum Sat 02-Mar-13 19:23:42

Oh my! That's fantastic Augusta. I'm very jealous mind smile

AugustaProdworthy Sat 02-Mar-13 19:32:55

I'm really pleased as its the lovely couple who looked three times and have made a very considered decision so that's great. Was lower than we hoped but it is a buyer's market apparently. We're looking at a house for third time tomorrow so hopefully they will take a lower offer too!

CuddyMum Sat 02-Mar-13 20:56:47

Good luck with your viewing tomorrow!

MrsJamin Sun 03-Mar-13 14:01:44

Well done Augusta! Good luck with making an offer on the place you like today.

AugustaProdworthy Sun 03-Mar-13 14:11:19

Thanks, just sorting out a plan for tomorrow... Who is calling which EA and making offers/accepting etc

CuddyMum Sun 03-Mar-13 14:28:40

Hope you are able have a lower offer accepted to make up for any loss on yours. How exciting!

Well, I'm off out to order our new corner sofa and chair (as you do) and will be changing the accessories to shades of orange/red!! It'll take my mind off selling/buying for the time being and make the room more cosy (and very orange).

Tau Sun 03-Mar-13 18:49:06

Hello everyone. I was directed here by CuddyMum from my own frustrated house-selling thread. This is the first time my partner and I have tried to sell a house. It's not going well. sad

We have just lowered our asking price and rewritten the description, and hopefully we will take new pics tomorrow. Our online estate agent is friendly, available, and flexible, and they update things quite fast, but their description was awful, and their measurements and floorplan were blatantly wrong (I don't get that.. how hard can it be??).
So... we are doing that ourselves. I wouldn't mind, if that had been the agreement from the beginning, and if they hadn't messed it up so badly.

To make matters worse, there are/were two houses very similar to ours for sale very close to ours. One is lovely but has not sold for over a year (but I had a look and fear it's because of their neighbours). And the other one is a nice house, but with fairly outdated decoration, and that has sold in a month!

So I am confused...

Tau Sun 03-Mar-13 18:54:33

And then there is the issue that I'm not all that keen on moving - I love my house, the neighbourhood and the town!
It's just that from here it is hard to reach the more sophisticated part of civilization... wink
Moving is more my partner's wish, and my son likes the idea too. But with the sale not going well I feel a bit cheated - so much effort and stress for something that doesn't seem like a massive improvement to me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now