is there such a thing as a comfy sofa bed?

(40 Posts)
HamblesHandbag Fri 15-Jun-12 20:36:19

I need a little sofa bed for my mum to sleep on, so I want it to be as comfy as possible. The only sofa beds I've ever slept on you could feel the metal bars through the mattress and they feel weird to sit on in sofa mode.

Futons are too hard/low.

So is 'comfy sofa bed' an oxymoron?

primallass Thu 20-Jun-13 22:13:10

We have an Ikea Beddinge one with sprung mattresses. Not the prettiest, but very comfy.

NutsinMay Thu 20-Jun-13 22:16:34

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6916394.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:5313321287|tsid:41409|cid:116733767|lid:46592626127|nw:g|crid:23321726927|rnd:14205203811547417593|dvc:c|adp:1o5

I have this. It's not that pretty (leather look) but I presume you could get other fabrics. The design is click clack and it takes 5 secs to convert back and forth to a bed. It's a comfortable bed and sofa. I sleep on it a lot.

SacreBlue Thu 20-Jun-13 22:23:04

Moving in to current place with on the floor blow up bed (for me - DS had a real bed first obvs) I concur with memory foam toppers - frankly they could make me happy even on the floor.

Most sofa beds are only really suitable for occasional use and neither fish nor fowl. A topper makes it for me <says she now with king size massive mattress and topper - spoilt>

BeehavingBaby Thu 20-Jun-13 22:39:18

IKEA Hagalund is brilliant, £375 new but usually available on ebay for ~£100. Improved by a topper but very impressive.

Lovethesea Fri 21-Jun-13 21:15:35

If trying them out in the shop get two of you laying on it ...

I stayed at my friends on a lovely comfy sofa bed, til DH turned up the next day and we spent all night squashed in the middle as it curved with the weight making it impossible to avoid each other!

Aetae Fri 21-Jun-13 21:20:59

We have this. It's reeeeeeeeeeaaaally comfortable.

splendidone Mon 07-Oct-13 09:03:59

You need to look for sofa beds for every day use. These are the only sofa bed type that stand up to regular use as a bed and a sofa. www.thesofabed.com is a good brand and has some excellent reviews.

thedarkworld Wed 05-Mar-14 11:50:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NotMushroom Wed 05-Mar-14 11:56:27

We have this one from Ikea. It's only for occasional use but is comfortable. You can choose between three types of mattress to get the level of firmness you prefer iirc which is good.

ShoeWhore Wed 05-Mar-14 12:24:38

Friend has an ikea corner sofa bed - you sleep on the actual sofa cushions - incredibly comfortable as a bed. Not sure what it's like as a sofa though.

Have you considered an aerobed? My parents have one and it's really good. Perhaps a better option than compromising on the sofa?

ShoeWhore Wed 05-Mar-14 12:26:20

Hope you're on commission thedarkworld grin

InsertUsernameHere Wed 05-Mar-14 19:59:57

Do you need it to be a double bed? If a single would suffice another option might be more of a day bed, or a truckle bed under a DCs bed. These would allow you to use a standard single mattress and would be a more normal height. Futons can be very variable both the most comfy and least comfy sofa beds I've ever slept on have been futons (different ones obviously!). Our current sofa bed is a hand me down, so don't know what it cost. It's is a reylon and comfy as it has a proper mattress might go and buyer a topper though following people's tips up thread

BNmum Thu 06-Mar-14 07:50:38

We got a Laura Ashley sofa bed about 3years ago in the sale and I put a mattress topper it. It's comfy to sit on as a sofa and guests are often suprised by how comfy it is.

Mine is lovely - slept on it a lot when pregnant. It's from sofasofa.com (I think it's the Scala model)

cestlavielife Thu 06-Mar-14 12:50:18

if for frequent use a clic clac style is good
www.sofabedsworld.co.uk/c/Clic_Clac_Sofa_Beds.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now