Where to buy solid wood worktops?

(41 Posts)
SandyChick Thu 19-May-11 21:55:47

Planning our new kitchen. Will probably go for cheap gloss white or cream and spend more on solid wood worktops. I've looked around most of the obvious places, ikea,b&q,wickes, homebase. Where is best place to buy from or how much should we be spending on good quality worktops? We want thick chunky oak and need around 7metres. B&q sell in 3m lengths which is no good because we'd end up with alot of offcuts which will cost more.

Has anyone used ikea? They do 2 types- a standard size or made to measure.

smile

said Mon 20-Jun-11 19:49:58

Pink - still dithering. confused Still want oak worktops but where from now? They were so lovely. I know it's go into administration so, technically, still trading but, um, risky to buy from there?

PinkOlives Mon 20-Jun-11 20:17:14

maybe you should give them a call? plus check what you are agreeing too payment wise etc
someone on another thread mentioned worktop express or something like that and wood and beyond, im still hunting too though.
this kitchen lark is a headache grin

teta Mon 20-Jun-11 21:21:42

Said, Worktop Express is just as good a quality as Barncrest and i think slightly cheaper [well my Iroko was].PinkOlives i am really happy with my Iroko.Apparently they will darken within 6 months but i have only had mine for a few weeks now.The colour is very rich and looks beautiful with painted cabinets in Skimming Stone and Elephants Breath.I also really loved the Walnut from Barncrest but i felt it was a bit dark for my really light-challenged kitchen.

rp71288 Mon 09-Jul-12 09:29:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

VicklePickle Thu 04-Apr-13 12:50:42

I brought my Oak worktops from Norfolk Oak. They are little bit more expensive then others like Worktop Express but the quality is worth it. They are manufactured in the UK too which is a real bonus. Would certainly use them again and recommend to others.

contortionist Thu 04-Apr-13 13:45:59

Another recommendation for Norfolk Oak from me - I got walnut worktops from them 18 months ago which are still in perfect condition just with oiling every few months.

flow4 Thu 04-Apr-13 17:48:41

I have Ikea Numerar worktops. They're sold wood and I'm happy with the quality. There was such a difference in price between the standard lengths and the made-to-measure tops that I bought standard lengths and the joiner who fitted the worktops cut them to length as needed, which was easy and cheaper. The wood darkened when they were first oiled, and I re-oil them every 6 months or so, using Ikea's own brand wood oil (Behandla). They're 2.5 years old now, and so far they're getting more attractive the older they get. smile

another vote for barn crest

cece Thu 04-Apr-13 19:38:34

I got mine from Barncrest.

JustJes Tue 09-Apr-13 10:57:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Coffeeformeplease Tue 09-Apr-13 21:57:19

Hi, we got our Prime Oak worktops from worktop express and we are very happy with them. Have only been in since October, but no probs. I have been really fussy when they were delivered and before they were installed, have given them 3 Coats of Tung Oil, takes a long time to dry, i'd say it took about 2 weeks in total. But since then I've stopped fussing, they have taken all sorts of abuse, builders left their wet mugs on it, I spilled red wine ... and it can be just wiped clean.

AwkwardSquad Wed 10-Apr-13 19:43:24

Sad about Barncrest, we got ours from them and their customer service is great. We have had ours for five and a half years now and they still look fine. Lovely quality.

AwkwardSquad Wed 10-Apr-13 21:29:57

Ah. Zombie thread.

JustJes Thu 11-Apr-13 11:55:39

From what I can see Barncrest is still an active company. I assume that someone bought the company and are probably selling their own products/worktops. So don't be sad awkward squad - they live on!

ihowarth Sun 13-Oct-13 19:20:03

Landed here from Google, looking for good suppliers of wooden worktops. There are several companies who, it turns out, have the SAME Norfolk address -- Barncrest, Norfolk Oak, Wooden Kitchen WorkTops, and Mountain Hardwoods. This seems to shout "scam alert!", especially as Barncrest went bust (at a different address), but on the other hand there are some positive comments above. Anybody have any insightful comments on this?

VicklePickle Fri 18-Oct-13 12:27:22

Hi ihowarth, I went to visit them before I bought my worktops, as I wondered the same thing - but actually about most internet companies.. Anyway Norfolk Oak were brilliant. They are in a HUGE old RAF hanger. I don't know about the Barncrest bit, but they did show me a whole load of different ranges of products which seemed more than they had on the internet. The worktops ar fabuous - PM me if you want some piccies! Good luck, Vic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now