i-phone people. Are you on a contract or pay as you go?

(46 Posts)
willyoulistentome Fri 25-Jan-13 11:32:51

My very oldy fashioned phone is on it;s way out. I currently pay as you go, and top up about £20 every few months. I'd like an i-phone to replace the dying one, but think all the contract sounds expensive. I think it would be an i-pod plus camera too ? Am I right?

Sooo. all you folks who have them. Did you buy it and pay as you go? Or are you on contracts, and if so - how much do you pay monthly?

weegiemum Fri 25-Jan-13 13:20:26

I've an iPhone 3GS. Contract was18 months so recently got a new £12 a month contract. Phone is now mine. I use Vodaphone and they were a bit baffled as to why I didn't want a new handset but I'm used to my phhone and like it!!

Melissakitkat Fri 25-Jan-13 13:20:49

No it's the contract - unlimited wifi 500 free minutes talk time - tesco is really cheap!

I've got an Iphone 4 which I bought new outright 2 years ago. Use it on GiffGaff, SIM only, I pay £10 a month for 250 mins, 200 texts and as much 3G as I need (there might be a limit but I've never gone anywhere near it). Did the costings at the time and over a couple years it worked out much cheaper than any contract I could find at the time.

PatriciaHolm Fri 25-Jan-13 13:24:29

I have the 5, which was bought separately, as I have a contract with 3 for £15/month all you can use internet+enough minutes and texts for me already. I calculated that the difference over 2-3 years between a new contract+phone was negligible against standalone+£15 contract over the same period.

(Obviously the advantage for many of the new contract would that we didn't need to pay £700 for the phone upfront, but that wasn't an issue)

willyoulistentome Fri 25-Jan-13 13:25:40

Blimey - that sounds much cheaper! I don;t call much, but text a bit, say 20 a week? I would never use £36 a months worth of credit on pay as you go. I like the idea of having a one stop phone camera i-pod apps, decent sized screen etc.

sedgieloo Fri 25-Jan-13 13:28:26

Sausages and Melissa - Please tell more about your deal. My mum wants an iPhone. She is on a budget and unsure if she can afford one. I'm on a business contract so it wouldn't apply for mum...

Also wondering about Reconditioned iPhones and then going pay as you go for her.

OP I love love love my iphone. I have only just gone over to a smartphone and its fantastic. I cant get along with my dh's HTC. This is so so easy. I've two young children so I wanted something intuiitive to use.

sedgieloo Fri 25-Jan-13 13:30:07

intuitive - you know what I meant!

MirandaWest Fri 25-Jan-13 13:30:07

Is it specifically an iPhone you want? There are other smart phones which would be cheaper and some people think are better.

myfirstkitchen Fri 25-Jan-13 13:33:54

T-mobile pay as you go do a really good deal if you can get an old phone off someone. £5 a month unlimited Internet and £10 a month gets you free unlimited texts. So you've got £5 for calls and no unexpected bills.

No upgrade or protection if list/stolen unless on household insurance though. I've got it on my partners old phone.

willyoulistentome Fri 25-Jan-13 13:34:08

I don't know enough about it to know if it is specifically an iPhone I want.

This is what I want to do.

Phone, text, take photos and videos( rarely) personal emails, sometimes use the internet. MN of course, I don't have an i-pod and it would be quite nice to have one I suppose. I saw someone using one as a sat-nav - that could be useful!

OOh! A thought - can you stick them on ipod docking stations, and use them to play music out loud?

You can use them on docking stations but the current model, the 5 has a different socket on it that does not fit on any older Apple compatible chargers, docks etc

willyoulistentome Fri 25-Jan-13 13:52:34

apple seem a bit bastardly changing stuff like that.

MirandaWest Fri 25-Jan-13 14:07:53

They do go on iPod docking stations. Although I think iPhone 5s need an adapter to go on ones made before iPhone 5s.

I have an iPhone 3GS which is third hand. I love it but would love it even more with better camera and battery. Am still on my contract for an HTC wildfire but just swopped the SIM. Might get giff gaff when contract runs out or might get an iPhone 4S. Decisions decisions....

McNo Fri 25-Jan-13 15:00:33

PAYG seems to work better for some people especially if u don't use that much but i was putting in £30 per month so for the extra £6 i took out the contract and got free phone and sold my old iPhone 3GS. I have to stick to same network as the coverage here is patchy with the other networks.

jenesaispas Fri 25-Jan-13 15:04:18

I think the samsung galaxy ace is supposed to be a better phone, and cost-wise, half the price on contract.

jenesaispas Fri 25-Jan-13 15:08:18

Cheapest Tesco iphone contract I can find is £25 - what do you get for your £18 Melissa?

jenesaispas Fri 25-Jan-13 15:09:46

Sorry - £12.50

stargirl1701 Fri 25-Jan-13 15:10:48

Contract. Vodafone. £35.

ihearsounds Fri 25-Jan-13 15:17:46

I pay £11 a month. I am a very old loyal customer to 3. Started with them in the beginning. For that I get unlimited everything - cross network, landline, text and net. Have recently upgraded to the 5, before that was the 4 which was £15 for everything.
My dc's and partner have other smart phones - lg, htc, samsung and blackberry. Much prefer the iphone and when their contracts are up this year, they are switching.

I bought mine outright from apple. I don't have a contract but on pay as you go with giffgaff. If I top up £10 I get free Internet. But I have wifi at work and home, it works out cheaper for me to be on payg for data too.

DeafLeopard Fri 25-Jan-13 17:08:04

From what you have said, you want a smart phone but not necessarily an iphone.

DH and DS have an LG entry level phone which cost 50

It does pretty much the same as my old iphone.

Things like the sat nav are available as apps that you download.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now