Children's dictionary

(9 Posts)
SweetSkull Thu 07-Nov-13 00:12:38

Hi. I'm looking for a children's dictionary fir my 6 year old. My intention is not only for word meaning search but also spelling search since dd is having trouble learning her spellings, so I thought a dictionary would give her independence in learning.
I read some reviews about Oxford Children's Dictionary, but people say there are loads of words missing and some of the words are American spelling.
Is there a good alternative in the market?

columngollum Thu 07-Nov-13 09:41:31

All dictionaries have words missing, unless you're referring to the Complete Oxford Dictionary in twenty volumes, in which case it's not a children's dictionary.

SweetSkull Thu 07-Nov-13 10:02:07

Ok but the reviewers said that there were very simple day to day words missing such as organic for example.
But overall the reviews are good and the price is very reasonable so I think it will do the job.

SweetSkull Thu 07-Nov-13 10:10:12

ooops looks like Oxford Primary Dictionary is better.

Periwinkle007 Thu 07-Nov-13 10:31:29

we have the collins junior dictionary - I think that is the one. my benchmark for whether it was any good was translucent. she wanted to know what it meant and some of the kids dictionaries didn't 'have it but this one did so we went with it.

Ge0rgina Thu 07-Nov-13 12:07:49

Oxford Primary Dictionary! smile

Lucky13 Thu 07-Nov-13 17:28:10

We have the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary and my DD6 really likes it - especially the illustrations. Oh and it also has translucent in it wink

Periwinkle007 Thu 07-Nov-13 20:34:14

translucent is a great word - nice to know it is in other dictionaries too.

PeppermintScreams Thu 07-Nov-13 21:02:33

We've got the Oxford Illustrated Children's Dictionary and Thesurus. It was on offer for a fiver in WHSmiths a couple of weeks ago. We are loving it so far. My typical mumsnet child DS even wanted to take it on holiday with us. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now