Reception children being taught how to use sparklers safely. WITH REAL SPARKELERS

(188 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Sun 20-Oct-13 19:52:52

Apparently they're going to be practising name writing and letter formation with sparklers!?!?
Isn't that just asking for trouble?
A permission slip has come home, I really don't want my 4 year old using a sparkler. So I won't be giving permission, but am I being unreasonable to think that it's an insane idea?

FrameyMcFrame Tue 05-Nov-13 17:48:03

Well DS did the fireworks activity and there was no problems!!!

Ragusa Tue 05-Nov-13 18:56:24

soxysarah was anyone injured? if not, is it not safe to presume that they conducted the exercise safely??

SatinSandals Tue 05-Nov-13 21:16:06

Obviously it wasn't too dangerous as no one was injured!! Not sure why you want to bypass the Head, surely that is the person to complain to?

Lizziegeorge Wed 06-Nov-13 06:49:15

What a thoughtful and creative teacher. She 's probably bought them with her own money. Hope some parents offer to contribute instead of not trusting her to do her job.

SatinSandals Wed 06-Nov-13 06:58:09

I can't see what the Head can say, other than it was well planned, here was a proper risk assessment and NO children were injured!
Holding a sparkler used to be a common childhood experience.

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 06-Nov-13 07:10:13

Iwith Pacific upthread, if we remove ANY risky situation from our childrens' lives then we are failing them hugely, as they never learn to judge risk for themselves.

We are breeding a generation of children who are unable to enjoy learning about life, its risks & how to manage them and that is more dangerous ultimately than letting them learn in a controlled safe environment how to cope.

I hardly think OP that the school is going to let the kids loose with a box of matches & a pack of sparklers.

excellent article !

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Wed 06-Nov-13 07:29:49

My daughter's class are doing this. Except they're not reception, they're nursery class.

SatinSandals Wed 06-Nov-13 07:37:19

Quite MissMarples. Parents would always have supervised their 4 yr olds with sparklers but now they won't they should be grateful that schools do it for them!

soxysarah Wed 06-Nov-13 09:13:00

there has been on go trust issues with the school and head and this morning was told a load of bull how my little girl did not have one in her had and yet my 4 yr old described to me how she held it made circals with it. she is my child and i have a right to know whats going on

Ragusa Wed 06-Nov-13 09:39:28

If you don't generally trust the school to look after your child, then guess you will have to look at changing schools. Is there another one nearby? What are the other trust issues?

Re having a right to know what's going on, I don't think it is reasonable to expect the school to tell you everything that they are doing. It's not practical.

Bumpsadaisie Wed 06-Nov-13 12:09:00

Goodness me my (just turned) two year old used sparklers by himself without any problem.

What a load of fusspots!

zingally Thu 07-Nov-13 17:25:44

It's probably not something I'd do with my class of Receptions, but I'm not opposed in theory. At this time of year, it's a good chance to talk about firework safety. I remember myself first holding sparklers around that sort of age.

It's no different to teaching them to use knives and saws correctly. Both of which I've done with Reception.

Ericaequites Tue 17-Dec-13 21:26:38

It's totally inappropriate. Fireworks and children don't mix.
As for using proper scissors, woodwork tools, and cooking for littles, I favor this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now