Inference when reading

(28 Posts)
holidayseeker Thu 10-Oct-13 11:53:55

My dd seems to have come to a stand still with her reading at school. She has read virtually all the books on her reading level and she can read them really well however her teacher has said she has to work on her inference to progress higher.

How do I help my dd with this? As she reads I ask her questions about the story as we go along, we discuss the cover and back page and what we think may happen and she answers this well however I don't know what the teachers are looking for.

Can anyone help with what it is that she needs to be able to do?

Ilelo Fri 11-Oct-13 18:21:31

Thanks. I'll start another thread.

But to answer I meant she's too detailed in retelling so takes too long to talk about it. I don't know if that's good as she should be giving a quick summary shouldn't she.

I'll ask her teacher too as I'm unsure what's expected.

Periwinkle007 Fri 11-Oct-13 18:48:48

I am not sure Ilelo. I think in many ways that is a good thing, many children are too brief and miss out the main points. obviously too detailed could mean they aren't recognising the main points but at least it means they have taken in what they have read.

Ilelo Fri 11-Oct-13 19:02:43

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now