Books for a 6 year old boy...

(27 Posts)
RubyA24 Thu 12-Sep-13 21:44:35

My ds is 6 1/2 and loves to read. Currently he loves reading alot of nonfiction information books and Roald Dahl. But I'm at loss for what else I can put his way afterwards. His reading ability is really good so chapter type books would be best to keep him challenged whilst enjoying it. Can anyone recommend or suggest anything? It would be veryappreciated!

Dancingdreamer Sat 14-Sep-13 00:22:06

Anything by David Walliams. Also the Secret Seven by Enid Blyton. My DS when he was 6 also loved poems especially AA Milne and Dr Seuss.

chauffeurmummy Sat 14-Sep-13 00:10:18

Charlie Bone is fab and if he is reading Roald Dahl then he should be fine with them.

freetrait Fri 13-Sep-13 22:46:37

Joke books yes! There's a Horrid Henry one.... then Ha Ha Bonk book and he had one other as well.
Dirty Bertie hit here too.

lexie01 Fri 13-Sep-13 22:44:19

Dirty Bertie. My dd loves them. They are not as 'nasty' as some of the Horrid Henry books.

souperb Fri 13-Sep-13 22:43:52

yy to Horrid Henry - the author is a book writing machine!
Secret Seven (younger than F5)
Jack Stalwart (ridiculous juvenile world-roaming secret agent)
Astrosaurs
Paddington
Hilary McKay's various books about Charlie (v funny, I really like them too)
He recently went through a big joke book phase too, which was interesting because it made him really think about words and everyone should have a few jokes they can tell...

freetrait Fri 13-Sep-13 22:19:20

Horrid Henry- loads of books
Jeremy Strong (if he likes toilet humour, mine loves it...)- loads of books
Captain Underpants
Astrosaurs
Magic Tree House
Flat Stanley
and recently.....Horrible Histories, big hit!

marmiteandhoney Fri 13-Sep-13 22:12:40

Mr Gum

EverybodysStressyEyed Fri 13-Sep-13 21:03:18

my ds is the same age and has loved all the roald dahl books too. He is currently reading or has just read

tintin
paddington bear
peter pan (original)
books of myths from around the world

we tend to visit the charity shop so he can pick books as he doesn't really like series of books (tried beastquest and astrosaurs)

Fuzzymum1 Fri 13-Sep-13 15:02:01

I have a boy the same age, he loves Roald Dahl and Famous Five mostly at the moment.

millymolls Fri 13-Sep-13 14:56:06

Jeremy Strong - my famous brother's bottom and Mr Stink by David Walliams prove a hit with my 6 year old

BumbleChum Fri 13-Sep-13 00:07:58

My almost six yr old loves the dinosaur cove series - we read them to him tho

simpson Thu 12-Sep-13 23:59:57

Our local £ shop are selling Horrid Henry books.

Periwinkle007 Thu 12-Sep-13 23:00:31

yes I must admit having girls does make it a bit easier as luckily both mine are girly girls so like the same books i did has a child.

RubyA24 Thu 12-Sep-13 22:32:42

Fantastic, so many suggestions, can't wait to try some out with ds :-) Thanks to everyone!

Haha periwinkle, dont know what to choose for boys either through my girly perspective!

MrsWeasley Thu 12-Sep-13 22:23:59

My DS enjoyed the following:

'Shark Island' by David Miller

Horrid Henry (not a personal favourite of mine) sure I saw it on Special offer with the book people recently.

Dinosaur Cove series by Rex Stone

Astrosaurs by Steve cole

Acinonyx Thu 12-Sep-13 22:19:14

Oh - cross-post!

Acinonyx Thu 12-Sep-13 22:18:47

The Magic Tree House series.

Flicktheswitch Thu 12-Sep-13 22:17:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hopingforbest Thu 12-Sep-13 22:16:26

Mister Majaika? I think there are lots of them. Look quite simple, but I don't think they are particularly so. My kids like them, anyway.

hopingforbest Thu 12-Sep-13 22:15:35

The Indian in the Cupboard. There are five books in all. Brilliant!

Little house on the Prairie (proper adventures...) and the next two books (seem to go downhill after this).

The Box Car Kids (US take on the Famous Five, Secret Seven from the forties)

These are my children's favourites so far this year.

Flicktheswitch Thu 12-Sep-13 22:15:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoAndDoSomeWork Thu 12-Sep-13 22:11:34

Mr. Gum, Alfie the werewolf by Paul van Loon I think - fab series with short chapters, famous five

Periwinkle007 Thu 12-Sep-13 22:07:28

Wishing Chair, Magic Faraway Tree, Enid Blyton Adventure Series. Worst Witch (not especially girly), Charlotte's Web

Meglet Thu 12-Sep-13 21:57:50

Beast Quest
Horrid Henry
Flat Stanley

DS is reading them so fast I can't keep up. Beast Quest is formulaic but he loves it.

Taffeta Thu 12-Sep-13 21:56:49

Beast Quest
Flat Stanley
Captain Underpants

When he's a bit older Mr Gum and David Walliams

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now