When do the Summer birthdays "catch up" ?

(80 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Thu 12-Sep-13 11:02:06

DD has just started Year 1 and I went into help with reading yesterday.

She is an August birthday, and although I always thought she was a bright little button, the vast majority of the class are way ahead of her!

I realise being an August birthday has a huge bearing on her education but I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an age where the younger ones catch up and the gap between the ages closes.

Am I right?

Tia

funnyossity Tue 17-Sep-13 15:08:05

I have a child in secondary who is about youngest in the year. It has had long term effects (I believe) because he's never had that boost of being "good" at things compared with his classmates.

Expectations through primary were low, he started off behind and and stayed there (as far as school was concerned.) Mild dyslexia has been a confounding factor too.

I did take my eye off the ball and he was in a lower reading group in upper primary than was warranted. (He kept telling me this but I thought he was over-confident as we'd worked hard to keep his self-belief up!)

Keep tabs on things is my only advice.

RussiansOnTheSpree Tue 17-Sep-13 17:27:59

It depends on the individual child, physically, emotionally, and academically. My Y6 August born DD2 is the youngest in her year, she looks about 7 - she certainly wears 7 year old clothes which are a bit big for her. But emotionally she is old beyond her years, she does a lot of performing and that helps I think. Academically she has always been one of the top 2 or 3 in her year since the day she started in reception. It probably helps that she is my 3rd child.

babasheep Tue 17-Sep-13 22:40:25

I imagine myself being in my dcs' shoes say I go to school everyday. And everyday I am told I belong to the bottom pile of my year group from age 5 or 6. How would I feel about myself by the end of year 6? We don't have third class on trains any more so why in our schools.
I read somewhere that the average age to archive Ks1 - 2bs is 7 & a half yr. Now I look back although my dc1 only got 2cs at Ks1 bearing in mind at the time she was not even 7yr old. So in fact dc1 didn't do too bad as comparing to those who got 2as or more but are over 9 -11 months older.
I am not a competitive mum but I do my best to make sure my children don't stay in bottom groups. My concern is the long term damages that may have on their self believe and attitudes to learning.

mysticminstrel Tue 17-Sep-13 22:50:31

" brettgirl2 Sun 15-Sep-13 18:46:49
I'm a summer born myself. I don't believe the year 2 thing, I was average when I started but got progressively cleverer right up to a levels where I achieved nearly the same results as my ultra-cvlever November born brother"

Yup, I recognise this.

My September born brother in the year above was always, always the clever one. I was the August born in the year below - almost 2 years younger than him but only an academic year behind him.

He was always the clever one, I was always the afterthought. He kicked my arse at GCSE (though I had respectable results)

But by the time A levels rolled around my brother did very well, and the following year I did even better (i.e. top grades across the board).

I have 2 summer borns.

I'm not worried.

GooseyLoosey Wed 18-Sep-13 08:38:30

I have no clear answers how to mitigate the lack of expectations and the feeling that summer born children can get that they are just not as good as their peers at stuff (and once this is ingrained it is not easy).

For dd, I bang on at teachers that they must expect more of her and if she does not achieve as they expect - tell her. She is highly motivated in many ways and if she knows she should do better, she will. Monitor peoples' expectations - especially early on. They make such a difference.

Maths was a subject dd really struggled with and in the end, I got a tutor for her. Not to push her to ever greater things but to give her the confidence in a safe environment that she could do it and to allow her time and space to get her head around what she didn't understand.

I am not saying that this happens to all August borns, but I think it does happen to many. It may depend on a child's personality. Dd is naturally quiet - as a toddler, she was the type to hide behind my legs. Therefore when she went to school she presented as shy and awkward. She allowed the low expectations of her to persist by not volunteering more whereas more outgoing children would not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now