More child starting reception type questions (sorry)

(105 Posts)
Xihha Sat 03-Aug-13 18:58:17

DD starts school in September and I think I'm more nervous than she is (DS starting school was different as he was more independent and I knew the school really well).

Anyway 1) DD's school insists on either Clarks or Startrite shoes, is there much difference in quality? (I've always gone to cheap shoe shops, even when i was little so have no idea)

2) DD needs a pencil case, have I got to name everything inside it and if so how the hell do you label pencils? or can i just label the pencil case and accept she may lose a few pencils?

3) We've been practicing opening lunch boxes, sitting nicely to eat, putting her own shoes on, getting changed by herself and managing tights so she can go to the loo by herself, is there anything else she needs to practice?

4) when I was at school all girls wore vests under their uniforms on days we had PE, I don't think it was ever a rule but very much expected, is this still the case?

5) why do I still feel like I've forgotten something?

FadedSapphire Thu 08-Aug-13 12:46:33

Shocking if they are insisting on a particular brand of shoe and legally unenforceable I would think.
Find it hard to get passed that dictatorial point on this thread. School should wind its neck in.
Usually Tesco shoes here but found some nice [wide fitting] BHS ones this week for my older boy.
Younger will have soft Tesco ones [Reception].

Xihha Thu 08-Aug-13 00:38:58

smile the 2 plaits pulled back and the rest loose is how i do her hair when she's wearing a pretty dress, she looks adorable, I like those 2 too. How the hell did they get the kids to stay still for some of those styles though?

Think this one is a lovely one and they say it is very quick for a school day:
www.princesshairstyles.com/2011/09/fishtail-braid-woven-pigtails.html

Yes. that's lovely smile Wish I could remember where I saw that other link. I have boys you see, so I just glances and thought "how lovely" and moved on. I see quite a lot of girls with a pleat done just at the side of where a fringe would start and carried across the front and down to the other side. That looks lovely too.

Back when I was young in the early seventies i had a fringe and then two small pleats done from just behind the fringe but only using the top layer of hair and these would be taken to the back and loosely and tied together - meant you could have your hair down but it was away from your face and didn't fall into your eyes when leaning over a desk.

So many people don't really bother nowadays and just ponytail it back or use a hair band. I am sounding really ancient now!

Xihha Wed 07-Aug-13 23:05:40

Thanks Slendergirl, theres some amazing hair styles on there, I think i like this one will see if it meets with DDs approval.

Xihha Wed 07-Aug-13 22:35:31

DS has some very good options for y7 up, he has his heart set on a selective school near us but there are also some other good options if he doesn't get in.

I don't think there will be an issue to be honest, DS doesn't want to go to the prep, its not like DD is being offered opportunities he hasn't because he's been offered more than she has and has made a choice, complete with a presentation as to why im a horrible mother for trying to push him into a private school (and a few suggestions on what FIL should give him money for instead)

Sconset Wed 07-Aug-13 21:20:44

My DC's school specify make and model of shoes, but there are a few that buy differently, and no-one says anything. You wouldn't get away with it for jumpers, tracksuits etc though.

I would go against what soworried said- if there's a school coat on her list, you buy the school coat, no questions!
Pre-preps/Preps are not the same as state maintained schools, that have no right to insist on a specified uniform. If you sign-up to the school, you have to sign-up to the uniform and rules too!

I hope you have a superb option for Y7 onwards for your DS, otherwise you are going to have a lot of pain later! hmm Particularly as they have different fathers/grandparents.

That's good then Quenelle - as long as he got there in the end smile

My brothers favoured the arms back over the shoulders and tug forward method but that seems really awkward to me.

Quenelle Wed 07-Aug-13 20:41:55

That was the first method I tried slendergirl. DS couldn't get the hang of it at all. He may have inherited my coordination skills...

He said earlier that he managed to take it off for swimming today, using the arms out first method. He often gets on better when left to try things on his own.

Quenelle - we used:

cross arms and grip bottom of t-shirt and pull up and open out arms as you pull it over your head - always ends up inside out though.

actiongirl1978 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:14:23

OP, my daughter is at her second private prep school (we moved OS after her first 2 yrs) and in both schools the 'list' is in fact considered 'flexible' for the little ones.

For example there is a school coat at her current school but they acknowledge that three yr olds outgrow coats faster than 8 yr olds and so they are not complusory until she reaches the class where she turns 7.

At her old school, it was acceptable to substitute the crested navy tracksuit with any navy tracksuit.

In my experience, most schools are very friendly and they won't mark you down as an awkward parent if you ask questions like 'is the shoe requirement a guideline or is it compulsory'?

Try calling the school secretary (our school office opens all summer) and just ask the question, it could save you a lot of worry and expense.

Oh and don't assume that everyone else at private school is well off and can throw money around. The most thriving second hand shops are usually at private schools!!

Good luck with the first day!

Quenelle Wed 07-Aug-13 19:00:44

Euphemia looks like that will work with a bit of practice. Thank you.

I saw something the other day with loads of great hair styles for girls but can't remember where. sad

Google has thrown this up which looks quite good:

www.princesshairstyles.com/

Contrary to others views, I don't know where all these "tired after a full day at school" kids are.

In my experience 4/5 year olds have endless energy. My two had after school stuff nearly every day in addition to bursting at the seams to get out playing as soon as they got home. They were in bed 7.30/8ish and out for the count for a straight 12 hours and ate like horses the rest of the time. They probably ate as much at that age as they do now at 13 and 12.

The rest of my street seem to be the same, unless the children were ill, then they were out running about or away to their football/swimming etc.

As for giving them a half day if they are tired shock

Xihha Wed 07-Aug-13 18:12:32

well that's shoes sorted, DD has decided she loves these although we are getting them from an independent children's shoe shop so they will be fitted properly. Her absolute hero (my 9 year old sister) has a similar looking pair and therefore in DDs eyes they must be the coolest shoes on earth grin little sister has now promised to tell DD how cool she thinks tidying your room is.

Sadly DD has now announced she doesn't like the way i tie her hair up and could i please find a new style for school, but not something boring like all the other girls have, so i now have the challenge of finding interesting things to do with very fluffy waist length hair, whilst still keeping it tidy all day and out of her way.

PlateSpinning my mum wrote names in with pen for all of us and no one ever commented, but make sure you check its not faded every so often, im only buying labels coz my writing is embarrassingly bad.

hifi Wed 07-Aug-13 17:33:33

Do volunteer to help in class, gives you a good idea of what the other kids are like.

hifi Wed 07-Aug-13 17:31:52

they will be knackered until xmas, im not doing any after school activities until after then.

feel free to take them out for half days if they are really tired.

Don't feel as though you have to accept every playdate.

Don't have a sneaky peek at play time, you will invariably find them standing alone looking like bill no mates.

westcoastnortherner Wed 07-Aug-13 17:12:56

Try and see if there is a clarks outlet store near to you, their School shoes at Cheshire Oaks worked out to be between 1/2 and a 1/3 cheaper than the regular shop and they will fit.

Periwinkle007 Wed 07-Aug-13 16:20:21

regarding shoes I suspect what they actually mean is proper shoes not flimsy fashion shoes. when I was at a private school the requirement was t-bar sandals...

my eldest gets on better with start rite - they fit her feet better, quality is good but even so after wearing them every day she had worn through the inside sole by May. Clarks have a couple of different ranges of school shoes, the ones which are £20+ are not the same quality as the ones which are about £34. The cheaper ones are thinner and have thinner soles so yes quite possibly will fall apart quickly. my girls (until the start rite school shoes) have always had clarks without any problems BUT we buy them from an independent children's shoe shop near us as I don't trust the clarks fittings after one bad experience a few years ago when we got home and couldn't even get the shoe on her foot.

Just thought of a tip that I use for the whole family but it's relevant here.

Make sure breakfast and teeth are done before they get dressed! Nothing brings on a melt down quicker that having to get dressed a second time because there's toothpaste or milk down their uniform.

mameulah Wed 07-Aug-13 09:28:22

and here I will stick up for Clarks because the quality of their proper fitted gym shoes is 2nd to none.

If I was to start a campaign, it would be to stop manufacturers making the insides of gym shoes black so it is a pita to write their name in.

Thankfully i'm at high school stage now so the gym shoe days are well past, but it used to iritate me no end.

Loveleopardprint Wed 07-Aug-13 09:07:50

I second "Stikin" labels. I have been using them for three years and had no problems. I also use a laundry market pen from Mothercare which is usually on the cash desks in the shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now