OK, how do I know what uniform to buy?

(11 Posts)

And M&S socks are good- also if you have a choice of navy or white - go with navy - as with white it will get grubby if/when she takes her shoes off. Navy doesn't show up, also unisex if you have a younger ds.

GrimmaTheNome Sat 03-Aug-13 17:58:27

>wherever is cheapest.
that'll probably be ASDA. But if you want blouses not polo shirts, M&S non-iron ones are well worth getting because they really don't need ironing!

Pinafores sound like a good idea. And she already has a check dress from when she's been doing settling in afternoons at the school during the summer term. Honestly I have had SO many opportunities to sort this out and ask questions but of course didn't blush

I've just FB'd some of the other mums in the village and got some pointers. Happily there is an inset day the day before term starts so I can pop in and get some of the logo'd sweatshirts, book bag etc. Am about to order all the rest from Next/M&S/wherever is cheapest.

Thank you, feeling much happier!

Mine often go back in Sept in summer dress - as long as you know the colour of that you should be ok - it's probably only 3 hrs. You can order from M&S for next day store delivery so can be sorted by day 3.

My girls like pinafore dresses - which protect the hideously expensive polo logo shirts. Their school insist on logo polo & jumper which I get in their secondhand shop for a pound each.

Maybe ask some neighbours? If there are inset days at the begining of term the admin staff are likely to be in so you can ring them.

Xihha Sat 03-Aug-13 17:30:12

Ooh, just thought, do you know what colour the jumpers and stuff you had the order form are?

GrimmaTheNome Sat 03-Aug-13 17:25:47

If they don't prescribe, then start with some generic pinafores (easier for little ones than skirts) and blouses from the supermarket or M&S plus at least one of their embroidered sweatshirts or fleeces so she 'belongs'. If they're bothered about colour they'd have said so. White or blue shirt. Keep the receipts and only open one of everything and then if on day1 you find that they're all wearing the same thing and its not what you've chosen you can change the unopened packs.

Get black 'school shoes' with Velcro fastenings, and tights to match whatever pinafore you go for.

oh, just a thought - does the school website or pack have any photos which would give you a clue?

Xihha Sat 03-Aug-13 17:25:14

if you have a list of stuff with logos buy that. most primaries round me don't have strict rule on hair bands and don't have bags in reception.

Alternatively try asking if anyone on here or your local mn site knows what that specific school wears, there might be someone on here thats got kids there or lives near the school

Does the school website have any photos of pupils? That will at least give you an idea of what colours they are wearing.

Or ask any parents of older children at the school.

I have seen them around a lot but paid so little attention to detail. I guess I thought I'd just be told what to do as my parents were so didn't even think to ask when we had our meeting with the reception teacher last month!

Am looking at M&S website. Am guessing we are free to choose style of skirt/dress. Boggles.

DD1 has just finished reception and the uniform dos and don'ts were exhaustive right down to one particular school dress, school coat and raincoat etc. This year they've introduced a compulsory skirt. My guess is that you're pretty free to suit yourself if there's no info given. Have you no idea what the children wear at the school, seen them around etc?

It's mind boggling though isn't it?! Even going into yr1 now I'm boggling a bit and all the new uniform.

When I was at school we had a very prescriptive list. Right down to hairbands and underpants. We were all expected to wear the same blazer, hat etc and carry the right school bag and all items of clothing came from the school shop.

My DD is starting reception in September. There is no such prescriptive list. I was given an order form which only includes items like embroidered sweatshirts, PE shirts, PE bags and fleeces. None of them seem to be compulsory.

I have no idea what to buy!

Do I buy the school embroidered items or just buy from M&S or John Lewis or wherever? Do most kids at state primaries just wear their usual coat, or a school coat?

I don't even know whether to buy a dress or a skirt, what colour blouse, tights or shoes to buy?

No info on school website or in welcome pack.

Should have sorted this before school closed for summer I guess but I'm new to this and clueless confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now