School doesn't tell parents KS1 SAT results, is this normal?

(13 Posts)
Artijoke Thu 18-Jul-13 14:38:22

Just that really. I thought DD1's SAT results would be in her report but apparently they won't be (not that I even get to see the report until the last day of term when it will be too late to ask the teachers any questions). Is this normal? On here everyone seems to know their DCs SAT results.

tinytalker Thu 18-Jul-13 14:55:11

We get ours separately from the reports. The teachers often start writing reports at half term and then they get passed on for the Head to comment so it's too late to add them. We got reports 2 weeks ago and SATs results this week. With one of my daughters we got the result through the post during the summer holiday. Does your school not reveal them at all? Is it state or private?

Artijoke Thu 18-Jul-13 14:58:12

The school is State but unless I have misunderstood they don't reveal them at all.

tiggytape Thu 18-Jul-13 16:29:33

I'd be very surprised if you don't get them but if that does happen, you still have the right to be told them.
You can request in writing that they inform you of the results and they must comply with this request (she is your DD and you have the right to information held about her).

Elibean Thu 18-Jul-13 16:41:10

At our school, they give Y2 SATS in the report - but not in Y1 (for good reason) unless asked.

You have a right to ask the teacher for them, either way.

sittinginthesun Thu 18-Jul-13 16:53:23

Is she year 2? If so, the school must tell you in writing.

If she's year 1, they don't have to, although I think you can ask under freedom of info request.

curlew Thu 18-Jul-13 16:57:21

Schools have to tell parents in writing in year 2 and year 6. Don't have to at other times- but should be able to tell you verbally at any other time- not just at year end.

redskyatnight Thu 18-Jul-13 17:24:22

The school does not have to tell you your child's SATs results. They do have to tell you the result of the KS1 teacher assessment (required to, in writing).

tiggytape Thu 18-Jul-13 18:08:58

The school does not have to tell you your child's SATs results

Yes they do - if they are recorded on the child's school file and you ask to see them then the school absolutely cannot refuse.

In fact schools cannot keep any information about a child secret from that child's parents except in very rare child protection circumstances and where disclosure compromises safety or somebody else's right to confidentiality. That’s not to say it couldn’t get all awkward if the school really don’t like disclosing them and a parent insists on seeing them regardless. Therefore a polite verbal request is always best at first but if necessary, a parent absolutely can force the school to tell them.

redskyatnight Thu 18-Jul-13 18:15:10

I meant that they don't have to tell you your child's KS1 SATs results without your asking.
I think it's quite normal not to reveal them automatically (at least I don't know anyone in RL - variety of schools- who's been given them).

tiggytape Thu 18-Jul-13 18:18:46

KS1 SATS are the Year 2 SATS though. They do have to report those.
The Year 1 assessment is a different thing altogether but also has to be reported

Many schools also report levels for all the other year groups that don't have compulosry testing / screening. If they don't however, you can still ask (and if necessary insist) on being told them.

Feenie Thu 18-Jul-13 18:23:01

The teacher assessment must be reported, as other posters have said. Weren't the levels in the report?

Of course parents may ask to see the test paper - but there would be little point, since the assessment is based on lots more evidence of a day to day nature. The tests are a very small part.

redskyatnight Thu 18-Jul-13 18:23:26

To repeat my previous point.
Schools do not have to (unless you go and explicitly ask for them and they are recorded against your child's record) your child's KS1 SATs results (DD's school actively makes a point of saying they will not tell parents the results of these - I accept that if they are stored against a child's record they are obliged to tell a parent if asked to do so- though I don't actually know anyone who has bothered to ask).

Schools do have to provide the results of the teacher assessment. (of which the SATs results are a contributing factor).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now