End of YR3 school report

(23 Posts)
curlew Tue 16-Jul-13 09:24:56

Yep. "More challenges" possibly. "Be challenged" very unlikely.

Redlocks30 Tue 16-Jul-13 09:16:13

My DS made one sub level progress across the board in year 3. He still got level 6s in his y6 SATs last week and passed the 11+. Don't fret smile

redskyatnight Tue 16-Jul-13 08:37:23

1 sublevel is perfectly good progress in Y3 (actually it's the level of progress my DS made smile )

simpson Tue 16-Jul-13 00:24:37

My DS might say "more challenges" but not to be challenged.

But yes I agree it can come from the school and how things are worded.

Frikadellen Tue 16-Jul-13 00:07:22

'I would be surprised if a child of the age said "be challenged" spontaneously.'

I wouldn't both ds and dd3 would have used such language at that age.

My DC previous school used the word challenge a lot in everyday language...to excite the children into learning and stretching themselves and remove the fear. So my Y2 daughter uses similar language.

simpson Mon 15-Jul-13 23:18:48

My DS is in yr3 and he would never say he wanted to "be challenged" he might mean that but say it in different words though (if he needed to, he doesn't though!)

simpson Mon 15-Jul-13 23:17:30

Abby - really??

HT just said that it was unrealistic to expect her to make the 2 levels of progress otherwise she would finish KS1 on a 4A (reading) and 4C (writing).

She seemed more concerned with DD being allowed to mature first before pushing her. I kind of like her reasoning smile

AbbyLou Mon 15-Jul-13 23:14:53

Simpson I think I need to come and get a job at your children's school. I'm sick of the pressures involved in bloody levels. I would be hung, drawn and quartered if anyone in my Y1 class made 1 sublevel in a year regardless of their ability.

steppemum Mon 15-Jul-13 23:11:36

curlew and numbum - it is the sort of thing my dd might say, She is end of Y3

HarumScarum Mon 15-Jul-13 23:11:07

I wouldn't. They hear that kind of jargon all the time at school, don't they?

simpson Mon 15-Jul-13 23:07:22

Ditto....

numbum Mon 15-Jul-13 23:04:46

'I would be surprised if a child of the age said "be challenged" spontaneously.'

I agree

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 22:58:20

I would be surprised if a child of the age said "be challenged" spontaneously.

Ruprekt Mon 15-Jul-13 22:53:52

I work in y3 and know we have had to push those levels up to a 2A if possible.

simpson Mon 15-Jul-13 22:51:57

National average is not a 2B in yr2 it is the expected level.

Levels slow right down in KS2.

My DS was expected to make a whole level in ks1 (per year) DD (reception) will probably not have the same expectation/target as she is on a high level already for reading so may only make one sub level in yr1.

simpson Mon 15-Jul-13 22:49:10

My DS is in yr3 and his school also states 2A/3C is the expected level for end of yr3.

A child is expected to make one whole level (3 sub levels) in 2 years so if they go up 1 sub level in yr3 then in yr4 would be expected to go up 2 sub levels if that makes sense.

I have the "Attainment Description" sheet following my sons (Y3) school report. It states:

2a/3c - Has reached national targets for Age Group
3B+ - Has exceeded targets for age group

End of Y2 states:

2a+ has exceeded targets for age group
2b - has reached national targets for age group

Ruprekt is it really 2a at end of year 3? I thought that was year 2?

AbbyLou Mon 15-Jul-13 22:38:13

Are you sure 2a is average for end of year 3? I only teach in Infants so don't have much knowledge of KS2 but that sounds quite low. National average at end of Y2 is 2b so surely children are expected to make more than 1 sub-level in a whole year?
OP I would leave it now as it is so near the end of the year and see she settles in Y4. Maybe if she likes the new teacher (or feels he/she likes her!) then she will thrive.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 15-Jul-13 22:35:24

I wouldn't move her now, she's almost done with this teacher and next year's may be a different story. Just flag up to the new teacher that she hasn't been happy and you feel she could have made more progress with greater challenge. Then reserve judgment for a bit, but ask for a progress report after a term so you can be reassured that she is getting on better.

Ruprekt Mon 15-Jul-13 22:33:07

Her progress is good.

Nat average is to be a 2A at end of Y3 so if she is an3 C she has done well.

I would leave her where she is but talk to Y4 teacher about pushing her and ask what you can do to help.

lifeissobusy Mon 15-Jul-13 22:29:40

Hi All
Trying to keep this short. My DD has not had a good year - started in December with my DD stating that her teacher did not like her and was picking on her and to be fair to my DD some of the comments she repeated from the teacher were really unprofessional. Recently DD has been asking to move schools (even going as fair as crying about it!) This morning I sat her down and asked "what do you believe will be different at the new school?" answer:- "I want to learn something and be challenged!!"
Got her school report this afternoon and she has moved from a 2A for all subjects to a 3C or 3C+. It would appear that she has not made much progress......
Would you as a parent be concerned by this in light of her comments about being challenged? and Would you raise these concerns with the HT?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now