does anyone subscribe to Aquila?

(8 Posts)
niminypiminy Mon 15-Jul-13 13:36:04

I think it falls into the category of worthy but dull. DS1 had a year's subscription as a Christmas present and although he dutifully flicks through it the only bit he actually likes is the jokes.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 15-Jul-13 12:03:51

we got a free copy. dd loved it. but £5 a copy... ouch!

steppemum Sun 14-Jul-13 23:21:55

my mum got a subscription for my 3 as a gift. they are good readers, but never really got into it, so we didn't renew

mothersanonymous Sun 14-Jul-13 23:16:48

Am I missing something here? You have the subscription, your DC likes it, you have (presumably) seen it yourself and you're asking us whether it's worth the money?

youcouldnevermakeitup Sun 14-Jul-13 22:37:24

Mmmm ... my 8 yr old DS got this subscription as a gift too and although he just adores reading, he is not overly taken by it. I really do not know why but he had previously had a subscription to national kids geographic and he preferred that. It is quite serious (although that does not normally put DS off!) whereas kids geographic was a bit more cool I suppose. I also get the feeling that it may appeal more to girls - but I stand to be corrected!

jellycat Sun 14-Jul-13 22:36:53

We had it for a year or so. My dcs were interested some months and then other months they couldn't find much in it to catch their interest. So it was a bit patchy. After the subscription ran out, we switched to First News which they much prefer. We also like How it Works. Have 2 dses BTW, who are 11 and 8.

DoItTooJulia Sun 14-Jul-13 21:55:14

Hi, my 8 yo ds has been given a 12 month subscription as a gift. He does like it, but someone has bought him a subscription of How It Works, which he MUCH prefers.

Aquila is a bit random and younger seeming when compared with How It Works. I wouldn't pay for it but I don't have to, so it's ok!

HTH

Meermummy Sun 14-Jul-13 20:04:18

and do you think it is "worth it"? got a four month sub for my DS (8yo) and he seems to love it but at £5 per issue, is it worth the money?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now