Homework battles with DS1 (year 2) - help before we kill each other

(30 Posts)
wifenumber4 Mon 13-May-13 22:15:01

Someone please help.

I can't seem to get out of this horribly negative cycle with DS's homework.

He has to do one task a week but it's always a battle. It's not that he can't do it - but he knows that I want him to so digs his heels in. I then get frustrated and rise to it because I KNOW he's just doing it on purpose.

It ends up hanging over us all week. I try to get him to do it during the week but he keeps putting it off (knowing it doesn't have to be handed in until Monday). Then Sunday is ruined trying to persuade him to do it. Some of the tasks are quite involved - making things etc.

It's entirely my attitude that is making it worse but I don't know how to stop it sad. I know it's not a big deal at this age but it drives me insane. All of my other friends have children who are really enthusiastic.

I'm sure at the back of my mind I'm convinced he'll fail his A levels wink

SanityClause Tue 14-May-13 11:16:40

In answer to your question yesterday at 22:56, yes, sometimes they do start to do it willingly.

It used to be a struggle to get DS to do his homework in infants.

Now he's in year 4 at a different school, he has homework everyday, and he just gets on and does it everyday, pretty much as soon as he gets home.

He also gets a homework booklet during the holidays, which works out at maybe two sheets of work everyday (perhaps a maths sheet, and a punctuation sheet, or whatever) and he has usually done whatever he needs to do that day by about 10:00 am (he is an early riser).

They do have a merit/demerit system at the school, though, so maybe that helps.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 14-May-13 11:19:25

I had this...I had a word with her teacher about it and together we came up with a plan. I told DD I would remind her a couple of times in the week but it was her responsibility and if she never had it done by Friday then that was her look out. The teacher then had her do it at playtime.

She completes it immediately now. grin

Bramshott Tue 14-May-13 11:23:22

Saturday morning straight after breakfast is homework time here too (DDs in Y1 & Y5). They sit down and do it, but I don't get involved with how well it's done - that's up to them.

wifenumber4 Tue 14-May-13 14:23:32

Homework sweet tin grin

I might actually try that. I think part of the problem is DS2 is a distraction. He's only 3 so obviously has no homework.

Something that you can ONLY get for homework would be better than taking something away for not doing it.

Maybe DS2 could do a sticker book or something.

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 14:37:42

that's why we had to do Saturday morning, so that DH could mind all other DC while I waited for DS to stop being a twit & just get on with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now