If you can afford private education do you have a moral obligation to privately educate?

(31 Posts)
momacharlie Sat 20-Apr-13 19:41:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Biscuitsneeded Sun 21-Apr-13 14:45:13

That's bonkers. The state education system is for the children of the state. We could possibly avoid private if we went without holidays, stopped all out-of-school activities etc, but I wouldn't want to. Private schools are an option open to some parts of society who can afford them. But they are luxuries, not really any different from things like ski-ing holidays, private health care, expensive cars, designer clothes and so on. I wouldn't feel I had to go on a holiday or buy a bigger car just because I could afford one, and I wouldn't want to force my children into a more narrow experience of society than the perfectly good one for which my taxes currently pay!

juniper9 Sun 21-Apr-13 19:10:29

Morally, I will be putting my children through state school regardless of income.

I completely disagree with the concept of buying an education. If private schools are so good, they should be available to everyone, rather than the elite.

You have a moral obligation to pay luxury tax on the school placement imo, as on health insurance.

difficultpickle Sun 21-Apr-13 19:50:55

If you did impose this there would be a lot of movement in an out of private and state schools. I know plenty of people whom have chosen state schooling. Their local state school is excellent. The catchment area is small and the housing is extremely expensive - £600-£700 for a semi and we aren't in London. The school offers no wraparound care at all as the pupils are collected by their parents (mostly sahm).

Ds started his education at a private school for many reasons the main one of which was nothing to do with the education he would actually receive. If I could have found the same (non-education) provision in our local state school then that is where he would have gone.

Talkinpeace Sun 21-Apr-13 21:45:09

round here there are a LOT more rich people than private school places : many of the kids at the local boarding schools come from outside the area

BelleDameSansMerci Sun 21-Apr-13 21:51:55

If one is fortunate enough to have the choice surely the only "obligation" is to choose the school that is best for your child? IMO, there is no moral obligation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now