Bloody homework!

(105 Posts)
IAmLouisWalsh Sun 24-Mar-13 17:57:49

DS1 is in Y1 and I am fed up with the homework battles. 10 spellings, 2 sheets of sums, a Biff and fucking Chip book to read and a sheet of questions to answer, plus draw a plan of the house. All for tomorrow. Bog off.

difficultpickle Fri 29-Mar-13 10:44:53

Startail I'm the same as you (although a couple of years older). We had no hw in primary school and like you I remember reading at school but not taking books to read at home. In fact when I started at grammar school having a prep book and homework was a real novelty. Despite this failing in my childhood I still managed to get O and A levels, a degree and a professional qualification.

I really don't understand why children are expected to do homework starting from the age of 4.

Elibean Fri 29-Mar-13 11:32:20

bisjo, I think its mainly to keep anxious parents happy.

formicaqueen Sun 31-Mar-13 20:06:16

Don't do it! We have opted out mostly with the exception of reading, which we do as routine.

The only important thing is reading at this stage and helping them love learning. If he is unwilling, don't push it.

Sparklymommy Mon 01-Apr-13 21:10:17

Hi,

I accept that not all children are the same, and DD1 does appear (when it's written down like in my previous post) to do an extortionate amount of academic homework. The reality maybe is somewhat different. She rarely spends any time on spellings but appears to breeze through spelling tests. That said I have often felt very frustrated when the same spellings from last weeks test where she achieved 10/10 are nearly all spelt wrong in an essay! Maths she enjoys and appears to find it comes naturally to her. The tutoring is, I feel, important as she has expressed an interest herself in grammar school and wants to do well.

My DS1 has struggled more with his reading and needs encouragement to read at home because his confidence is knocked when his brother (13 months his junior) comes along and guesses (ussually correctly) the words he is struggling with.

I have always felt that whilst school is there to offer a basic education, without input from home and encouragement children can just drift along. I do feel that if I have a problem, or feel that the homework is not of an appropriate level, then I can speak to the teachers and express my concern. I am aware that I am lucky to have children who find they enjoy school and want to do well but I do also have experience of children that don't find school easy and would rather have all their teeth pulled than sit down and do a worksheet on long division! In that case I totally understand that the idea of 'home learning' can be daunting to say the least.

On the question of whether homework at primary level is necessary, no, maybe not. But education is only what you make of it. I do feel it sets a good precedent for the secondary school future and it means I can see a little bit of where the children are at school.

difficultpickle Mon 01-Apr-13 21:16:24

Ds scores top marks in weekly spelling tests too. It has never translate into competent spelling outside of the spelling test so I think there is no benefit in doing them, not that ds ever actually brings a list home.

I guess it depends on the school but I trust ds's school to give him work of appropriate level. All of his homework subjects have extension options which he does sometimes and sometimes doesn't bother. Thank heavens I only tend to see his homework two nights a week as the other nights he either doesn't have homework or does it at school. I'm not strong enough to deal with it 5 nights a week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now