Parents eve- teacher gives very little information.

(7 Posts)
Stickwithit Tue 05-Mar-13 07:49:29

DS' parents eve this week. He's almost 6, in Y1.

Last time his teacher pretty much said that he's exactly where he should be in everything, and gets on really well with his classmates. Then she asked if we had any questions (which we didn't).

I came away feeling I would have liked more information, but I didn't really want to push her into talking further when she seemed to think she had covered everything.

I don't have any specific concerns. From what I can see DS' reading is pretty good as he's moved quickly up book bands to gold and joins Y2s upper reading set for phonics. His writing seems a bit poor, and he's not keen on practising.

Should I be asking for any further information this parents eve, or should I just accept all is well (if indeed it still is).

You could ask a question about his writing and how to encourage him to practice?

annh Tue 05-Mar-13 08:00:01

I'm confused, if you didn't have any questions, what was it you expected her to keep talking about?

tiggytape Tue 05-Mar-13 08:30:08

By further information do you mean actual levels and assessment results or do you mean more information about his writing and getting him to practice?

PastSellByDate Tue 05-Mar-13 13:18:34

Hi Stickwithit:

I find it helps to write down questions in advance - because you've no idea where the conversation will take you and you can get distracted from the point you wanted to make?

You'll know what is concerning you. It may be general (could the school let us know what kids are eating? give us more notice of field trips?) or it may be quite specific - X hates reading, any suggestions to get X doing more?

If your child is having special interventions (support) in reading or math - ask if they are seeing an improvement.

If you have no questions I find the general catch-all - is there anything you would like us to be doing more of at home gets them thinking. In fact this has lead to many of our most productive conversations about supporting learning at home.

HTH

Stickwithit Tue 05-Mar-13 13:29:19

Good idea to write questions down, I'll try that. I think I would like some information on how best to support him at home and whether we can help him improve his writing.

I don't think I need further information on levels, as I'm not sure it would help at this stage.

I am quite interested to know if there is anything in place to support the most able pupils. I know there is great provision to support children who are struggling but I'm not sure if anything additional is in place for the most able children. I feel awkward asking about this though.

They're putting him in a Phonics group appropriate to his abilities and moving him along the reading scheme books, so they are supporting him in that way. Use that as a springboard to ask what other extension activities they do in his class for the more able pupils - it won't seem strange that you are asking that, so don't feel awkward about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now