Hall Grove School - Bagshot (Personal Experience)

(14 Posts)
njb28 Sun 03-Mar-13 07:50:08

Hello and thank you for taking the time to look at this post. Hall Grove is a school which has caught our eye. It’s close to us and it seems to have a good reputation but I’ve heard it’s a bit eccentric. I would like to hear from anyone who has had any personal experience, good or bad with Hall Grove.

Gosh it looks fab. No personal experience but weirdly I met someone who knows the owners the other day (she was talking about the house in Devon)

I'd love it (but I like eccentric schools grin

OMG - just realised my friend's kids went there. I remember the boiler suits. AFAIR she was very happy with it (they now live abroad)

inthesark Sun 03-Mar-13 12:43:51

I like eccentric schools too. I wish there was something like this where we are.

Magrug Sun 03-Mar-13 17:31:06

My smallest is still there. It's a seriously good school that is sometimes overlooked just because it doesn't bother wasting money on the pomp and circumstance of slick marketing. It's an academic school with a good set of scholarships won each year, but also excels in other areas, particularly Sport and Music from our experience. There's a golf course and equestrian centre on site, as well as the house in Devon. Somehow they manage to be significantly cheaper than comparable schools locally. I'd agree that it's definitely eccentric, but for all the right reasons. The other parents are really nice too, which we didn't encounter at our eldest child's prep school! Well worth going to have a look to see if it's the right school for you.

njb28 Sun 03-Mar-13 18:44:57

Thanks for your all your contributions. Mugrug, I know what my idea of eccentric is but what makes you say 'definitely eccentric'. Can you give examples of this? The word hold positive and negative connotations. Thanks.

cece Sun 03-Mar-13 19:03:00

I know someone who goes there. The parents seem happy with it.

Magrug Sun 03-Mar-13 21:41:24

Eccentric in the sense that creativity, out-of-the-box thinking and not being afraid to be different is strongly encouraged. Not eccentric in the odd sense! An example? Not many schools have a pair of wooden elephants in the grounds.

Mumtogremlins Mon 04-Mar-13 15:58:16

I was going to see this school but was a bit put off by a couple of pictures on their front page of their website. One was of some boys with proper guns doing shooting practice, the next photo was of some huntsmen with their hounds at the school. Not exactly what I want my DS doing but could have the wrong impression!

njb28 Tue 05-Mar-13 08:00:32

It seem to focus alot on outdoor learning. From what I can see they have a outdoor classroom and a house down in Devon, which I quite like, if im honest.

njb28 Tue 05-Mar-13 17:55:18

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate that people will have different points of view and this was the reason for the post. During an open day a school can show off everything which 'shines' but it’s only through people honest opinions that the true essence of a school can be felt

Surreymumtotwoboys Tue 07-May-13 00:28:21

Our son is at the school.. And we absolutely love it! Head is great! Doesn't put up with any nonsense or gossiping from parents, nips it in the bud immediately. Amazing teachers. Our son was previously at another school, in the area, beginning with an 'L'. And that place was crazy! Full of social climbers... And an academic hothouse. HG just proves that children can achieve (Eton, Winchester etc...), while still enjoying the best days of their lives!

gameflight Mon 02-Dec-13 20:48:21

Hi, just curious what makes you think L is an academic hothouse? Is that in the Prep school bit in particular?

mah77 Fri 28-Mar-14 22:03:26

Does anyone have a daughter that goes to Hall Grove? Does it cater for girls. Any advise welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now