At what age did your child start reading for pleasure?

(116 Posts)
Fuzzymum1 Fri 01-Mar-13 11:16:14

I know it varies hugely and there isn't really a 'normal' here but I can't remember when my older boys started curling up with a book by choice.

All of my boys have learned to read quite easily and I remember there were times when both DS1 and DS2 were getting through books quicker than I could keep up with visiting the library! As a family we all love to read.

DS3 has just turned 6 and has been reading lime at school for a while and needs very little help with them, his teacher says his comprehension is good too - working at around 2A I think. He has lots of books with a variety of themes and styles but he's yet to make that move to wanting to read for pleasure. I'm not worried about him, he loves to be read to and loves audio books - he's having a chapter a night of harry potter at the moment and really enjoying it, but I am looking forward to the day he wants to curl up and read on a rainy day. instead of insisting we all play school assembly and sing

Beamur Tue 05-Mar-13 22:28:09

Booksandacuppa - that's sweet. My DP used to read to me too - but hasn't in ages! (co-incides with about when DD arrived...) Arabian Nights, Just so stories and the Moomins grin

BooksandaCuppa Tue 05-Mar-13 21:01:55

This is veering into whole other thread territory, but I still read to my husband...he's 47 (and ds, 12). Does that count?

seeker Tue 05-Mar-13 20:02:47

I was going to claim the oldest read to-ers at 12 and 17, but you beat me! Not every night obviously, but if anyone's Ill orsad or it's snowing or it's Christmas or we're camping............

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 19:43:43

I read a book to my daughter tonight ...she's 23 grin

MrsShrek3 Tue 05-Mar-13 19:38:06

my dc are all still read to [mug emoticon] we all love sharing books.
as independent reading for pleasure goes - ds1 (severely dyslexic) within the last year, at 12
ds2 loved reading to himself at 5
dd 6 and a half.
they're all different. slightly dependent on personality and only a bit on reading ability imho. And a variety of stuff available to choose from.

BooCanary Tue 05-Mar-13 19:27:58

Dd has enjoyed reading to ds since she just turned 6. However its only very recently (she's 6.5) that she's had her nose in a paperback at bedtime (Rainbow Fairies or Princess Mirrorbelle). She has to be told its lights out!

Yes, here too. I read Treasure Island to my two and they thought it was very exciting. Would they read it themselves? I doubt it!

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 19:22:38

I agree seeker

seeker Tue 05-Mar-13 19:19:43

Being read to I'd very different to reading. My docs both loved having the "olden days" books read to them but had absolutely no desire to read them for themselves.

NonnoMum Tue 05-Mar-13 19:10:00

DD nearly 8 is still not reading for pleasure. We still have to read to her every night.

She loves it and still seems not ready to read to herself.

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 19:03:56

My son preferred to read non fiction when he was very young but liked to listen to fiction. When he was older he enjoyed reading The Hobbit, The Earthsea books, The Dark is Rising series

mrz, my dd has a similar reaction to Beatrix potter!

Dd started reading for pleasure at about 7.5 when she read HP but could not be bribed (dh tried!) to read Secret Seven. She really enjoyed Amelia Jane as well. Currently we are stuck in the realm of Animal Ark although she has an abridged version of Black Beautybthat she loves.

Ds was fixated on nonfiction until we saw The Hobbit at the cinema. He is now reading the book (while asking what some words mean - poetical ambiguity got Nima couple of weeks ago!) with gusto. He is 7.5.

bigdog Tue 05-Mar-13 18:39:36

My daughter has read for pleasure ever since she learnt to read independently at around 2.5, but she's always ben a bit of a freak when it comes to reading and maths...

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 18:38:38

I'm reading Alice in Wonderland to my Y1 class at the moment

Snog Tue 05-Mar-13 18:35:31

my dyslexic dd discovered the Hunger Games on holiday last summer

learnandsay Tue 05-Mar-13 18:34:37

Mine love Mr Men and John Burningham. My older one loves Beatrix Potter read to and to read, and she's reading Christian Anderson to me. She loves to listen to Alice in Wonderland and Wind in the Willows, (nearly all) stuff I had as a child.

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 18:33:29

My mum bought the complete Beatrix Potter and Jane Hissey collections when my daughter was born and she would say "please not those mummy"

teta Tue 05-Mar-13 18:29:09

My 8 year olds favourite book of all time is the enchanted tree series by Enid blyton.She is currently reading the Wishing Chair series .My dc's when they were tiny used to love me reading Beatrix Potter to them[and the mr men series for some reason].I think maybe because these books were little [and so were they].

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 18:28:08

The Owl who was afraid of the Dark
The worst witch
Jeremiah in the dark wood
Woof!
The Hodgeheg
Diary of a killer cat
there's a boy in the girls bathroom
etc etc etc

learnandsay Tue 05-Mar-13 17:38:01

Interesting. What did she like instead?

mrz Tue 05-Mar-13 17:33:41

I agree with seeker lots of young children dislike the children's classics like Black Beauty and Pippi Longstocking intensely. My daughter hated Beatrix Potter and Enid Blyton much to her granny's dismay

MyFace Tue 05-Mar-13 14:26:38

Oooo! I remember DS was lazy with reading independently even though he knew how to read at an early age(4-5) I got fed up of reading to him because I knew he could do it by himself. So one day I read upto a really exciting bit in the book and just left it there and made excuses not to carry on- too busy, will read tomorrow etc and voila! He read the rest himself, and hasn't stopped since. I think he has the last laugh though since I can't keep up with providing him with enough books, it is exhausting (think 20 plus books in a month, all books above his age) maybe I should just get him a kindle and be done with it.
DD on the other hand was a late developer, she'd rather do arts and craft at bedtime, even though she could read around 7-8 too. She is reading for pleasure only now at 9-10, and is beginning to whine about more books (average is probably about 12 a month) and prefers to write her own stories now.

Haberdashery Tue 05-Mar-13 14:03:34

Well, it's neither good nor bad really, just interesting. They vary from about 600 to 1100. Some of the more complex ones aren't the ones I'd have expected, either. And it's interesting that eg Black Beauty comes in at 1010 and shows clearly that reading difficulty isn't all you need to take into account because I suspect that DD would be massively upset by it at 6. Also, I haven't read Black Beauty for many years but I would have assumed that it would be too hard for her.

learnandsay Tue 05-Mar-13 13:56:20

That's a good thing though, haberd, surely.

Haberdashery Tue 05-Mar-13 13:52:55

That's a very interesting site, telsa. I'm looking up some of the books that DD has read recently and they seem to vary massively in complexity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now