How easy is it to get rid of poor teaching staff?

(28 Posts)
Amaaazing Mon 11-Feb-13 22:36:44

Rumour has it that DD's primary school is seeking to improve by getting rid of poor performing teachers, but how easy is it for this to happen?

I don't work in education but I would have thought that performance managing staff out in schools would be tough.

mrz Thu 14-Feb-13 19:20:13

When I worked in the private sector I don't think I was assessed once in 15 years hmm

deleted203 Thu 14-Feb-13 20:09:59

Thank you heggie. That post was spot on!

As to parents observing, Past I wouldn't have a problem with it, personally. I'm never bothered at anyone coming to have a look at what I'm doing, and have frequently had NQTs, trainee teachers, etc come and observe a lesson to try and help them if they are struggling. Teaching secondary though, I suspect most of my teens would be mortified if their mother came in for the day!

ReallyTired Fri 15-Feb-13 10:18:13

What frustrates me is that bad managers are not got rid of in state schools fast enough. The shit has really hit the fan at my son's school because the teacher assessments have been a complete work of fiction. In reality some of the children have made no progress in writing in the last two years.

The deputy head is starting a job at a new school after Easter smelling of roses. She has been able to run away from the shitty mess she has created. Our head teacher has gone on the sick and the local authority has taken over the running of the school.

I believe that if bad managers were got rid of then we would not have to worry about bad teachers.

heggiehog As parent I cannot assess teachers, but I can assess whether my son is behaving himself and what he is like in class. I can tell my son off for not having any equipment and ask him why he is picking his nose rather than doing his work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now