Dd and her spiky results , teacher advice please.

(6 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Fri 08-Feb-13 14:38:56

My dd has learning difficulties, she has a language disorder recently diagnosed and other issues.

School thought her comprehension was really poor but on recent testing by intervention team she got 11,09 years she is ten. She was questioned verbally and answered with ease.

But when it comes to SATS style tests she can't find the information she needs from the text and scored a 2c

School thought her reading was really behind and had her on age 7 books but it appears she has learnt to read in her own method and when she was tested recently by intervention team she came up as a reading age just below 13.

They have still got her on books for seven year olds because of her comprehension score on SATS although it would appear she DOES comprehend if you ask her about the book verbally. She just can't search through the text to find the info.

So should I be giving her more challenging books at home or leaving her on the easy ones?

She has learnt to read purely by memory because of her difficulties in the old look, remember way.

Her spelling came back at age 5
Her phonics at age 7

Please help.

MariusEarlobe Fri 08-Feb-13 14:44:44

We are having similar issues in maths because of the wording of maths in older years.

She is having 1 - 1 phonics at school and maths help.
They have stopped giving her spelling tests because she's just learning to remember the words for the test not learning how to spell them consistently.

She's also using the more complicated version if she spells something wrong with a word that sounds the same, I.e meet and meat.

MariusEarlobe Fri 08-Feb-13 17:14:14

Anyone?

mrsbaffled Fri 08-Feb-13 17:31:25

My Ds 8.5 reads and comprehends way above his age, but spelling and scanning is poor again. I let him read books at a high level. He is very bright so don't want him to get bored. Reading is a real pleasure for him. Just can't write about it.

MariusEarlobe Fri 08-Feb-13 19:21:01

Thanks mrsbaffled , she won't read anymore , im considering letting her chose a harder book at library just to get her interested again.

mrsbaffled Fri 08-Feb-13 19:54:31

Let her read whatever she wants. Doesn't matter if too easy or hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now