Phonics bugs vs ORT

(20 Posts)
Ghanagirl Fri 01-Feb-13 18:06:10

My DH was on stage 6 ORT but has now brought home phase 5 phonics bug I know she's doing well at reading but what are the equivalent stages?

learnandsay Fri 01-Feb-13 18:09:39

Are you African? If you are, why don't you use English instead of mumsnet codes for family members? DH means dear husband.

The ORT Oxford Reading Tree has several stages within it. There's no reason why a stage 5 book can't still be part of the Oxford Reading Tree.

mrz Fri 01-Feb-13 18:21:54

There is a good reason why phase 5 can't be a part of ORT ...they are published by Pearsons

The phase 5 Phonic bugs are green or orange book band depending on the book - do you know the title?

Ghanagirl Fri 01-Feb-13 18:52:45

Err bit rude learnandsay it was a mistake meant DD, anyway the book is called " Dinaosaurs" and her teachers put an orange book mark in her book bag

mrz Fri 01-Feb-13 18:58:29

Dinosaurs is orange book band (stage 6)

Ghanagirl Fri 01-Feb-13 19:21:17

Thanks

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Feb-13 19:30:46

Um, learnandsay did you mean to be so rude?!

Haberdashery Fri 01-Feb-13 21:02:48

What on earth kind of question is 'are you African' and what possible relevance could it have to the OP's query?

What did you mean by that, learnandsay?

mrz Fri 01-Feb-13 21:27:28

I think the question is based on the OPs username to be fair (but could have been worded better)

Haberdashery Fri 01-Feb-13 22:04:12

Um, the username could mean anything. It could, for instance, mean that the OP's parents (or just one of them, or grandparents, or maybe further back) were from Ghana. In which case the OP might well be as English as learnandsay (or British or whatever), having been born here. Or it might mean she'd been there on holiday, or some of her family had lived here at some time. Or she might have worked there at some time in her past. Or, yes, she might come from Ghana. But since the OP can spell 'equivalent' it seems a bit patronising to be offering her advice about when to use DH and DD. I see plenty of typos and misspellings on MN from people who are not questioned about their ancestry.

mrz Fri 01-Feb-13 22:08:12

I agree Haberdashery but that was the only explanation I could think of for the question.

Haberdashery Fri 01-Feb-13 22:10:36

Personally, I think it was just incredibly rude!

mrz Fri 01-Feb-13 22:16:35

I wouldn't disagree with you

maizieD Fri 01-Feb-13 23:35:02

I was rather gobsmacked by L & S's response. too shock

Ghanagirl Sat 02-Feb-13 01:33:18

My DH is from Ghana, not that it's at all relevant to my querysmile

mumchat Sat 02-Feb-13 05:55:04

I was shocked too. Completely uncalled for. OP has my admiration for taking it in good grace.

Ghanagirl Sat 02-Feb-13 22:28:21

Back again, my DD has just announced that her teacher told her she's now on stage 7, confused should I ask teacher for clarity or would that be deemed pushy?
I'm not pushy, DS (they are twins) is on stage four which I'm happy is the right level for him but DD reads books shes given with no help very fluently they are in year one

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 02-Feb-13 22:35:32

I think there is no harm in asking at all, in fact they ought to be pleased. I read in school with DS1's reception class, and the teacher and TA are tearing their hair out to try and get some parents to take an interest.

Haberdashery Sat 02-Feb-13 22:49:38

I would say that stage 7 and stage 4 for year 1 are both well within the normal range of reading ability (based on what I see at DD's school - she's also in Y1).

Ghanagirl Sun 03-Feb-13 18:40:05

Thanks all, I'll try and clarify with DD teacher 2moro

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now