Walton on Thames primary school catchment area

(7 Posts)
Euler Fri 20-Dec-13 13:56:41

Man old post, but I want to make up for my opinion if walyon oak.
It had an ofsted inspection march 2013 and was rated good. For a state, non faith school, a very well done to them!!
I have since visited and thought the staff and the children were lovely, so we have put in an application

Chip23 Fri 16-Aug-13 17:20:05

Go and visit Walton Oak, you'll be pleasantly surprised. It has excellent teachers, amazing facilities and is now officially rated a good school by Ofsted. It's results are going up every year. The nursery is fantastic.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 23-Jan-13 19:54:19

Bear in mind the furthest distance offered and even the criteria (re sibling priority or not etc) can change between now and when you apply.

Euler Wed 23-Jan-13 18:07:58

Thank you. Makes a lot of sense and has eased my over eager mind!!

tiggytape Wed 23-Jan-13 09:18:26

((just reaalised there's probably more than one St James' so double check the figures to make sure it is 'your' one before relying on it to judge chances of a place))
The website link though should give you a general idea and if not, you can ask Surrey council for the figures for the schools you are interested in.

tiggytape Wed 23-Jan-13 09:15:47

Euler - the tool from Surrey County Council is only useful in showing the distance between your house and each school. You certainly won't be in the catchment area for all that it shows you. You may only be clsoe enough to the top 1 or 2 schools to get a place.
You need to print off the distances that this tool generates and then go to each school website (or the Surrey Council website) where it tells you the 'last distance offered' for each school last year

So you may find you live 300m from Walton Oak School and the furthest distance they offered a place to a non-sibling last year was 750m .This means you are 'in catchment' (although last distance offered is not fixed - it can shrink if more siblings apply)

For St James', they seem to have no faith criteria at all - it is siblings and distance related BUT they give priority to people for whom it is their nearest school so you may well be last priority at this school since you have Walton Oak as your closest school. You'd need to check how the distances are officially measured.

You can look here and follow the link to Elmbridge to see who was offered which schools in 2012 based on distance. It seems for example St James' took all who applied and 5 extras as well who got lalocated it despite not asking for it.

Euler Tue 22-Jan-13 22:22:24

Hello,
I live in Walton on Thames and am starting to look at schools for my daughter. She's 18 months old so have ages!! I'm a teacher though, so eager to find the right one. We live very near Walton oak school and do not want her to go there.
I'm confused about catchment areas; when I look on the Surrey cc website, they have a smart area and when I put in my postcode, 92 schools come up. Are these all in my catchment area??
I'm also wondering about St. James's in Weybridge. We are c of e, but not devout (Ashley's out then!) St. James's doesn't seem to have the harsh criteria that Ashley does. Would we be in their catchment area?
Also, can you recommend any other good schools please. State schools.
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now